M$ ISA server & boinc

Soldato
Tis strange :confused:

In my running processes under 'Task Manager' I have 'python.exe' and 'srvany.exe' which are linked to the 'aps' service.

TBH I would imagine that aps would not start if python wasn't present.

Just to make sure, when you go to 'Processes' under 'Task Manager' have you checked the 'Show processes from all users' box?

What are you entering into the proxy settings, your machine name or IP address?

Still thinking :confused:

Dunc

MGP

MGP

Soldato
OP
With processes from all users ticked, no sign of svrany.exe or python.exe in the running processes, despite net start saying the process is running.

I've tried the fixed IP addy and also the server name. Currently using the fixed IP addy in the settings

To confirm there were no apparent error messages when the service install routine was run. Indeed it concluded with a message saying the service was started.

Soldato
I think I may have found the problem.

Copy the server.cfg file from the aps directory into the 'c:\python23\' directory.

I forgot to put that in the instructions :o

//crosses fingers and hopes that it works now :p

Dunc

MGP

MGP

Soldato
OP
Originally posted by dunc
I think I may have found the problem.

Copy the server.cfg file from the aps directory into the 'c:\python23\' directory.

I forgot to put that in the instructions :o

//crosses fingers and hopes that it works now :p

Dunc

I think I can forgive you for the minor omission :) Unfortunately we're getting somewhere, but not totally I'm afraid :(

Having completely deleted python, aps, etc and the reference to the service from the registry, I've reloaded including moving the server.cfg to the python file.

The good news is that srvany.exe now shows as a running process. The bad news is that python.exe still doesn't show, and thus there is still no connection being made.

Looks like the aps service isn't trigerring python to also start :confused:

originally posted by DuncIf you run the 'runserver.bat' file you are able to connect ok?

It is only when you try to run it as a service it fails.

correct.

Soldato
Just to make sure, is a copy of the file 'main.py' in the c:\python23\ directory?

This is one of the files called from the registry entries, and should start with 'python.exe'

The only other thing that I have noticed about my installation is that the aps directory is as follows 'c:\python23\aps\aps098'

Also check that the following 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aps\parameters' points at the executable. Look in the aps.reg to see what it should be.

Dunc

MGP

MGP

Soldato
OP
Just to make sure, is a copy of the file 'main.py' in the c:\python23\ directory?

Correct

This is one of the files called from the registry entries, and should start with 'python.exe'

The only other thing that I have noticed about my installation is that the aps directory is as follows 'c:\python23\aps\aps098'

I had setup the APS stuff as c:\python\aps, without the APS098 subfolder. Reinstalled to match your settings to no effect.

Also check that the following 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aps\parameters' points at the executable. Look in the aps.reg to see what it should be.
All appears to match correctly

MGP

MGP

Soldato
OP
Further experimentation

At the command line c:\> prompt

typing: python23\aps\aps098\runserver.bat
results in error: C:\python23\python.exe can't open file 'main.py'
yet main.py is in the python23 directory

This suggests a path setting is wrong, but, My computer>System Properties (logged on withan admin account): Advanced : Environment Variables, System Variables - Path includes the value ";C:\Python23"

change directory to C:\python23 (the folder named by the registry edit of the service install), and then at the prompt c:>python23 running aps\aps098\runserver.bat
produces errors:
Traceback <most recent call last>:
File "main.py", line26, in ?
import server, logger
ImportError: no module named server

Only when I CD to c:\python23\aps\aps098 and then run runserver.bat will the routine work.

Soldato
Whoops, one more thing :o

Copy the contents of \python23\aps\aps098\lib to \python23\lib

This should work now (fingers and toes crossed :p )

Sorry that you have been a guinea pig for this. I wrote the instructions for the service aspect a long time after the original install, and couldn't remember all that I had done originally.

I will now re-write it with the correct instructions :o

Sorry for the trouble (asuming I have not forgotten something else)

Let me know how you make out.

Dunc

MGP

MGP

Soldato
OP
Excelllent, that seems to have solved it (got to wait till later when the network's not busy before I can do a final reboot and test).

Dunc Thanks very much for your patience and persistence. :)

All I've got to do now is borg a few PCs, get the service client running 24/7 despite user logon/logoffs, then let the stomping commence :D (I don't think I'll be a threat to those at the top ;) ). Of course that does assume that users don't use the shutdown command :eek: when they go home.

\goes off to write his own notes on this all for the future, just in case

Soldato
Glad we got there in the end.

Unfortunately you were the first person to try out the instructions. Thankyou for helping me to debug them :p

I will make the changes and send to you for your input.

Then hopefully next time it will be a little more trouble free for anybody who has similar problems :)

Dunc

MGP

MGP

Soldato
OP
Great the server reboots and starts the services OK, so I think it's safe to say (well as safe as anything is in computing) "problem solved". Woohoo. Time for a stiff drink :D

And don't kick yourself too much that it didn't work first, second, third ....... time. After all your not Bill Gates (oh hang on, how many attempt has he had at getting windows to work :eek ).

Just a shame that as it all gets sorted seti goes all borkley. Ho Hum. :( :eek:

MGP

MGP

Soldato
OP
Excellent, all's working well. :)

I've now completed the office assimilation process. It took a few days, but now everything's online (except the one nearly new PC that died at the first sniff of Boinc).

The credit is beginning to flow, and the RAC is rising.

To keep polite etiquette, I'd better issue a PARP to all those with credit less than say 5000 (too many to single out for attention), and apologies to those already stomped.

Onwards and Upwards. :cool:

MGP

MGP

Soldato
OP
Glad to hear that all is still working :p

And stomp all the slackers :D

Dunc

Have no fear the stampede of credit is seeing all run away shrieking before me. I don't think I'll be a threat to you up in the heavens

The dodgy cruncher is back up and running, hard disk replacement later. Only one PC refused to accept boinc, but that was a lowly PIII something or other, it's almost not worth worrying about. The better news is another cruncher is on order, so just when peeps think my RAC is stabilising, it could take another leap upwards in a fortnight or so.

My biggest fear is users pressing a certain button as they go home meaning the cruncher doesn't :insert very mad and annoyed simley: . I don't know of any way to disable the windows "shut down" commmand, but that's what is needed.

Soldato
Originally posted by MGP
My biggest fear is users pressing a certain button as they go home meaning the cruncher doesn't :insert very mad and annoyed simley: . I don't know of any way to disable the windows "shut down" commmand, but that's what is needed.

With some bios it is possible to make the machines turn themselves on automagically at a specified time. If the machine is already running them it obviuosly remains running. Therefore you could set it to 30 minutes after everybody has left ;)

Also it may be possible with a group policy to make it very hard to shut down machines. You would have to check this out tho.

Dunc

Back
Top Bottom