Mac Mail being rejected by IMAP server

Soldato
Hi All,

I have been asked to connect a users mac to our webmail but am having issues.

I have a test account that connects perfectly using Imap but my own account gets the following error

"Logging in to the IMAP server "mail.xxxxxx.com" failed. Make sure the user name and password you entered are correct."

With a bit of searching around the internet it seems this is a generic error and nothing to do with my username and password (which are fine) but it is strange that one account works and another fails completely.

Any ideas?

Associate
Is this with iCloud? I had that earlier today and in fact I've had it a few times since the mobileme switchover last year.

I usually CMD+Q then reopen it for it to start working again - no idea why it happens either.

Soldato
OP
Hi Deku,
Thanks for the reply, although i have no idea what any of what you said meant! :)

I try to use macs as little as possible, we have MS Exchange 2003 which the Mac is trying to connect to using IMAP to the webmail server.... Thats about all i know.

Soldato
Check your ports you are connecting to are correct. Mail assumes the port, but sometimes (for me in the past) it has guessed wrong, and I had to manually change to the correct port for incoming/outgoing mail.

This also means check you use the right encryption when connecting too, plus SSL settings etc.

Back
Top Bottom