Mac OS X Snow Leopard install issues.

Soldato
Bear with me here, I'm a noob when it comes to mac os :)

I have here a mac mini model A1347, the owner has asked me to look into trying to speed it up for them, wrinkle in the plan is that they only ever use windows 10 on it via bootcamp which is slow as slow can be, it's a 32 version too which is not helping things due to limited memory.

Now, they had a spare 240GB SSD drive which I know would make a big difference in windows but no idea about the mac side, anyway, have taken the thing to bits, connected the SSD and have attempted to install Snow Leopard (via USB) (the Mac OS it is currently running, version checked) to the SSD so I can then setup bootcamp and windows, I am however getting what I believe to be a kernel panic early on during the install process. Do I perhaps need the original discs as I am not entirely sure what version it would have shipped with and what updates it may have had done since?

Things I have tried:

Clone the drive using Macrium reflect in windows, this fails as it obviously does not like Mac partitions, not sure it would help in any case I want to install 64bit windows anyway.

Start the Mac in recovery mode, which kind of half works, I get a grey screen with a wifi connection option, I can connect to my wifi and it then does nothing, I believe it is supposed to download the appropriate OS but just doesn't at all, I have left it for some 5 hours to zero effect.

Wiped the SSD and deleted all partitions in case it was something funny going on with them causing the panic, no effect.

Does anybody have any knowledge to share that might point me to a solution or suggestions of what else to try?

Much appreciation in advance :)

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom