Mac/OSX - Macintosh vs Hackintosh? A debate

Man of Honour
You do get the odd kernel panic on genuine hardware (that said I haven't seen one on any of my machines since OS10.4. Posting videos isn't helpful really, you've no idea what they've done to the machines to cause that, same as if you totally screw the drivers on a windows machine and it blue screens it's not necessarily because windows is rubbish...

Soldato
RE: The kernel panics, I've never actually have had one myself when using a real mac, so I was only going on personal experience. It does seem real mac's can get KP's, so I stand corrected, but usually something has got to be pretty out of whack for a KP to happen at all in my experience...

Is getting a KP bad in the same way as turning off a Windows box without shutting it does bad? I guess doing a disk check in disk utility is a good idea after a KP? I'm pretty new to the mac scene...

Associate
I've tried dabbling with a hackintosh on a spare hard drive. Even though my motherboard is supposedly very compatible it took several attempts to get it to install. Never could get sound or networking to work. So I was just sat there thinking, so what do I do with this now?

As for the cost debate on mac hardware, cost is the main reason I bought a Dell laptop over a mac. Baring in mind that I was looking to replace a 17" Dell there was no way I was going to take a huge downgrade to a 13" macbook/pro. I just couldn't justify spending £1369 for a 15" macbook pro when I could get a Dell Studio 1555 for £699. Having tried a mates mac mini for several hours I just couldn't see how OSX alone was worth the extra cost either. It didn't seem bad in any major way but just not worth the extra £670

Man of Honour
RE: The kernel panics, I've never actually have had one myself when using a real mac, so I was only going on personal experience. It does seem real mac's can get KP's, so I stand corrected, but usually something has got to be pretty out of whack for a KP to happen at all in my experience...

Is getting a KP bad in the same way as turning off a Windows box without shutting it does bad? I guess doing a disk check in disk utility is a good idea after a KP? I'm pretty new to the mac scene...

I'd say it's not so bad, very comparable to a BSOD on windows however unix is maybe slightly more graceful than that. Check disk if you want maybe, I wouldn't bother personally.

Bod

Bod

Soldato
You won't ever see a Kernel Panic on a real mac, I can guarantee you'll see one on a hackingtosh...

LOL I got one on my first day of owning a mac. Hasn't done it since, mind ;)

mac_kernelpanic_0816.jpg

Associate
OSx86 on compatible hardware (i.e. similar spec hardware to iMacs/Macbooks) setup properly, runs pretty much perfectly. Been dual-booting with Leopard on my E8400/Asus P5N7A-VM rig for a while now with no problems.

Still can't beat using OSX on a proper Macbook tho :cool:

Soldato
I've had plenty of Kernel Panics on my old MacBook. (10.5). But in comparison to an old XP machine, its practicly null. They are stable though. Its very rare to have a KP.

Soldato
I currently run a Hackintosh as my main machine for the simple reason that it just makes more sense now that I have a Macbook. I picked the hardware for it based solely on how compatible it would be and I've had very few problems.

I have an extra OS X licence, I see no reason for it to go to waste just because Apple want to sell me some overpriced, attractive desktop hardware to go with it. I find the small hassle involved in keeping it running vastly outweighs being tied to Apples hardware specs and prices.

Associate
I have a Macbook & a Hackintosh. I've spent no time getting the MacBook stable, it worked from day 1, 3years ago and still does. Everytime it tells me a new update is available I'll install it without hesitation, it just works.

The Hack on the other hand is very different being notified about an update causes trepidation: what are the benefits? what stability will I lose? will I have to sort out sound yet again? do I have the time to try it?

As others have noted, I've learnt more about OS X from my Hack than my Macbook, but if I had enough money I'd buy a MacPro instead, save time and just use the computer.

Permabanned
I've got a Macbook and a Hackingtosh I built for about £250, I don't have any problems with either of them. If they offered a reasonably priced desktop I would have considered it but I couldn't have got anything near as fast for the price, the Mac Mini at the time was nowhere near as powerful/expandable and over double the price.

My parents are wanting to try OSX so I'm thinking of building them a Hackingtosh before they decide everything is too 'different' for them (they are about 65 years old) and then I can just chuck Windows on it for them. ;)

Soldato
I've got a Macbook and a Hackingtosh I built for about £250, I don't have any problems with either of them. If they offered a reasonably priced desktop I would have considered it but I couldn't have got anything near as fast for the price, the Mac Mini at the time was nowhere near as powerful/expandable and over double the price.

My experience exactly.

Soldato
So why are you making such definitive statements then? That's forums for you.
Indeed, I always take forum posts with a pinch of salt, as you never know how good the source/poster is, tho I like to think certain posters are pretty spot on with the accuracy of their posts.

Perhaps I should have a disclaimer in my sig... :p

Soldato
people having problems with hackintoshes are 'doing it wrong' if you have the right hardware then it will be exactly as stable as the apple equivalent

before i got my macbook i ran a hackintosh for around a month on desktop and netbook . partly because i was bored and like fiddling and partly because i wanted to make sure i was ready for OSX. the netbook would have been great if the cpu wasnt so weedy. even the 3g internet on it worked!. id do it again if i ever had the need for a desktop but at the moment im happy with the macbook and will no doubt eventually buy a pro

Permabanned
I've been using a hackintosh for a few months (Quad 2.4GHz, 6GB Ram, HD3650) and I think it's great. There are compromises (such as only one output on my graphics card working and time machine not working), but other than that, the system is rock solid.

I have, however, decided to get a real Mac so am looking at the Mac Mini 2.53GHz. It would be nice having a machine that's 'made for osx'.

Back
Top Bottom