Macbook 12" - Anyone getting one?

Associate
Anyone planning on getting the 12" Retina Macbook when it gets released?

Disappointed about the ports but the laptop itself looks awesome for always having on me, doing light work and looking forwards to it being released!

Caporegime
Thinking about this or the XPS13, think the Macbook would be frustrating with its lack of ports but the integration with iOS is really good. The Dell has a much better CPU, haven't tried windows 10 yet though.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The new MacBook is for people who would have otherwise bought an iPad and keyboard case but been frustrated with it. It's a completely different product to the XPS 13, and even to some extent the MacBook Air.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Contemplating it. For my usage I'm either on the move and never use ports, or have it plugged into monitor, usb hub and a DAC. As such with the multi adaptor it would actually mean less plugging in as I could just 'dock' it with one cable.

I'm not sure I can justify moving from a 2011 Air to something with the same CPU power, although it's hardly a limit to me at the moment.

Caporegime
The new MacBook is for people who would have otherwise bought an iPad and keyboard case but been frustrated with it. It's a completely different product to the XPS 13, and even to some extent the MacBook Air.

By completely different you mean they're both premium, small, portable, dual core laptops with a long battery life and high res screen, weighing under 3 pounds with same amount of RAM, solid state storage and designed for your standard web and office work, oh and similarly priced. Completely different.....

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yes, I do mean completely different. Look at the CPU performance, the ports, and the fact the MacBook weighs less than 75% of what the XPS 13 does. They sit in different markets. The MacBook is size/weight at the expense of literally everything else apart from the display. The Dell is a more rounded system.

Caporegime
'Fulfilling the same role' is a way too broad term though. Any small laptop in the market would fit that definition, and I was never saying that one is suitable for office and web and the other isn't, they just achieve it in different ways. The Dell can be specced out as a very powerful machine and perform as a desktop replacement at a push, the MacBook can't do that, but you could carry it everywhere with you and not even notice it was there. They are not drop-in replacements for each other in the way that the XPS 13 and a MacBook Air might be.

Caporegime
I thought the MacBook had been long dead anyway? These new machines didn't displace anything AFAIK.

I'm awaiting the ones coming in at work to arrive so I can have a play with Force Touch and see how well they've managed to drive that Retina display without suffering the performance issues of the 13" model a few years back.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Mayyyyy end up getting one for the wife but it depends on a few factors.

The Airs suffer horrible touchpad lag, if this follows suit... then it will be a no.

You can adjust to that lag, but wifey doesn't want to... I had it on one of my work laptops.

Otherwise she'll probably end up with a 13" MBPR... although that new XPS looks quite interesting... just wifey has issues with windows ;)

Caporegime
I honestly don't notice any difference between my year-old 11" i7 Air and my year-old 13" Retina in terms of trackpad performance.

I also wish you'd not mentioned it :p

Soldato
Not considered getting one. When looking ahead at what the market wants it sort of makes sense, but makes far less sense when looking at the current range. Seems like more of a replacement for the MacBook Air more than anything else. Can't see a compelling reason to change my rMBP.

I toyed with it, but the top 13" Air spec'd accordingly is the more of less the same price as the top end 12.

Sure it weighs next to nothing, but that's always been the Air's selling point. Only it's got a much faster CPU, more connectivity options and a slightly bigger screen that IMO doesn't impact the form factor that much.

If they'd priced these at entry level, same Mac Mini and a bit more then maybe but I struggle to see the point of these. That's coming from someone who was really looking forward to the release, but now is a bit "meh".

Back
Top Bottom