Macbook 12" - Anyone getting one?

Permabanned
I am buying this laptop as I need to do a lot of typing in my job. I don't need to use photoshop or virtual machines, all I need is web, email, office. I am on the move a lot and weight is a premium. From reading the Anandtech review the machine seems to fit me perfectly. I rarely plug things into my laptops so the port is not an issue but I will buy the USB adapter to put in my bag just in case I do, its no big deal.

People talk like Apple only has this laptop to offer and has scrapped all other models. If you want to do heavy computing tasks buy a Pro.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Because I really like Apple's design and OSX, I cannot get that combination anywhere else. I run an iPhone and have an Apple Watch arriving ASAP. Plus with my daughter at Uni its not a bad deal at all :)

I use my desktop PC for games and Lightroom, I prefer my mobile office to be all Apple.

Associate
for me it's the way i interact with the laptop. the ergonomics. the trackpad is amazing. multi-touch is awesome.

there is not a single laptop out there that can compete. (IMO)

Soldato
I am tempted to get one and see how I get on with regards to how powerful it is and if it isn't suitable then just return it.

I don't do much work outside of the usual, playing games goes as far as Football Manager.

The portability and battery is very appealing.

Soldato
I may be missing something here but what is the point of USB-C? The best thing about USB is the backwards/forwards compatibility, if you change the connector you lose that, USB-C offers nothing that Thunderbolt doesn't and that's already on countless machines...

Permabanned
I may be missing something here but what is the point of USB-C? The best thing about USB is the backwards/forwards compatibility, if you change the connector you lose that, USB-C offers nothing that Thunderbolt doesn't and that's already on countless machines...

Apple will likely get a ****-tonne of licensing fees from it... just like they did from the various iterations of lightning... it's a cash cow as well as a thinner port.

I don't like the lack for forward/backward compatability... but i do like the smaller form factor as it means smaller usb keys etc... usb wasn't backwards compatible with normal serial adapters though... so the jump has to happen somewhere

Soldato
I don't like the lack for forward/backward compatability... but i do like the smaller form factor as it means smaller usb keys etc

A lot of USB sticks are already smaller than an actual key, so this isn't really going to make them any smaller, or at least make it pointless (if the biggest thing on your keyring is the keys it doesn't matter how big the USB sticks are).

If anything this more brittle connecter could be an issue, I have seen many a phone/device with a snapped micro-USB socket.

I don't think USB-C is Apples tech, so won't be earning them any licensing fees.

If it's like Thunderbolt then they will actually have had to pay Intel big bucks to get first access to it.

Last edited:
Permabanned
A lot of USB sticks are already smaller than an actual key, so this isn't really going to make them any smaller, or at least make it pointless (if the biggest thing on your keyring is the keys it doesn't matter how big the USB sticks are).

That's something that matters to me... I'm always looking to get clutter out of my pocket... I only have car key, mailbox key, front door key and a teeny weeny kingston thing on there that's only that big due to USB size.

I'd happily take a smaller one.

I don't like big phones either... just what they can do ;)

Associate
OP
Many weeks in and my order still yet to be posted, as I happen to live right next to the Arndale Centre in Manchester I have been popping in every few days hoping for stock.

They have just got the 12" on display yesterday but have none available for sale. My gosh what a lovely piece of hardware, it is a site to behold the screen is lovely, the weight is mindblowing the keyboard does take some getting used to however.

I put it to the challenge and went mental with opening vast amounts of items, loads of tabs etc whilst streaming a 4K video off youtube. Considering this was the 1.1ghz model it all dealt with it rather nicely and appeared to hiccup much less than my current macbook air all whilst running twice the resolution.

I am sold... just awaiting my delivery or stock in the store.... :/

Soldato
Likewise Rick

The Apple store in reading got 3 yesterday too. Amazing machine in the flesh.

The USB-C port is bigger than I expected. Thought it would be a bit like the lightning port size.

Im heading into town now so will give it a little stress test myself.

Associate
I am buying this laptop as I need to do a lot of typing in my job. I don't need to use photoshop or virtual machines, all I need is web, email, office. I am on the move a lot and weight is a premium. From reading the Anandtech review the machine seems to fit me perfectly. I rarely plug things into my laptops so the port is not an issue but I will buy the USB adapter to put in my bag just in case I do, its no big deal.

People talk like Apple only has this laptop to offer and has scrapped all other models. If you want to do heavy computing tasks buy a Pro.

I would avoid this macbook for typing as the keyboard feels inferior to the mbp.

Associate
had a play on one today in the apple store.

another stunningly put together machine from apple.

the keyboard takes some getting used to but is a very good standard. shorter travel, but feels of a higher build quality.

The force click is also pretty cool. feels like a physical click, but it's not.

I think i'll be ordering one in a couple of months. all it needs is a nice colour matched dock with USB and HDMI connections.

power wise it felt snappy and even handled 4k youtube smoothly with a few tabs open. which is an improvement over my 2010 1.6Ghz Air.

Screen is a massive step up as well. and its prettier to boot.

Associate
I'll add to my post. These are built and look stunning (that's to be expected). Anyone thinking of buying should test the keyboard as it has very little tactile feedback, and IMO lets it down.

Also, these are screaming touch screen to be added - come on Apple!!

Back
Top Bottom