1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Macbook 12" - Anyone getting one?

Discussion in 'Apple Hardware' started by rIcK, 6 Apr 2015.

1. Spit

Perma Banned

I ordered mine on the 10th about 2 hours after pre orders and have had it a week now. Which did you go for?

2. rIcK

Wise Guy

Mine arrived today, it is the 1.2ghz 512gb variant.

3. ninja2000

Wise Guy

was it worth the wait? :)

4. Fallen god

Soldato

I got a trackpad for work, and I find it a tad annoying that it doesn't click in, would love force touch for it, but knowing Apple I doubt it will happen.

5. rIcK

Wise Guy

Yes it is a lovely piece of hardware now it has arrived, particularly impressed with the keyboard once you have got used to it!

6. breeza

Gangster

Had a play with one in the Apple Store & was really impressed.

A skylake core-M and a second USB-C port so it could be charged from either side or connect a monitor whilst charging and I don't think I would be able to resist :)

7. ChrisD.

Caporegime

The screen on my rMBP looks poor now after using my 5k iMac.

8. Baggins_451

Gangster

Saw one of these yesterday, a stunning looking thing it is and the trackpad runs on witchcraft!

Very tempted ...

Last edited: 9 Jun 2015
  9. hartgeh3

Wise Guy

Whats it like with Photoshop?

10. hendrix

Wise Guy

I've not had any issues running Illustrator alongside several open apps (including safari). I haven't tried using Photoshop though.

11. hendrix

Wise Guy

Yeah, I'm a little annoyed that there has to be another accessory to be bought for £65 but it is a small sacrifice for the weight/thinness and generally a really lovely looking machine. With the VGA/USB/USB-C adapter I can charge and connect a USB drive / connect to a monitor and that's pretty much all I'll need; presentations and transferring data and writing academic papers. The battery is pretty great and so I doubt i'd ever be in a situation where I need to be charging and using USB/VGA at the same time but it does what it needs to do.

I haven't attempted to install bootcamp and windows yet, I will need to run a few windows programs but so far I've read that it handles it pretty well. Running parallels on machines > 1.1 is ok but I went with 1.1 as I didn't plan on running a VM. Even if it were to run slow (or not as good as one would like), I'm exceptionally happy with a machine I can now use on the go more than my old 15" 2009 macbook pro. It was a toss up between this and a 13" air, the macbook 12" is just lovely and typing feels so comfortable after getting used to the change from previous keyboard.

12. LazyManc

Wise Guy

Mine arrived on Wednesday (space gray, 1.3), my only concern so far is that the physical dimensions mean it doesn't quite feel like a "proper" laptop. I'm hoping this is a temporary feeling that will pass as I get used to it.

With El Capitan on it the UX is buttery smooth already. Can't wait for the final version.

13. kiteloopy

Mobster

after lumping around my 15" on holiday last week.... im even more keen to replace it with something smaller.

14. Baggins_451

Gangster

May I ask how long it took to arrive ?

15. LazyManc

Wise Guy

About 5 weeks.

16. hartgeh3

Wise Guy

anyone got a nice leather bag, pref message type? I have a sleeve but nowhere to store the adaptor/USB sticks so need a bigger or same size bag with afew pockets

17. stuman

Wise Guy

I'm looking for the same.

if you stumble across anything let me know :)

18. hartgeh3

Wise Guy

Found a felt one for the 12" doesn't look too bad, pockets on it for cable/usb drive.

http://imgur.com/dL0mSgV

might get it as its only 10 quid

19. hartgeh3

Wise Guy

Got the bag, pretty good tbh. Macbook fits in perfectly even with a sleeve over on it. Plenty of space inside, it has 3 parts and 2 inside pockets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. manic111

Capodecina

Surface Pro isn't really half the price though, is it - by the time you've upgraded to get a reasonable amount of storage and RAM (i5, 128gb, 4gb) and paid for the keyboard you're not far off spending what you would on a Macbook, although I appreciate that that surface would probably be more powerful.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Surface and think it's a great device, but I wouldn't cite price as a great differentiator for it.