Macbook 12" - Anyone getting one?

Soldato
Dell Inspiron 8100 with the SXGA+ screen. For it's era it was excellent. Very sharp, wide viewing angles and an even backlight.

The only thing I've got that old nowadays is a PowerBook G4 Titanium, that's late 2001-ish and one of the first 16:9 ratio screens. At 14 years old it's not exactly factory fresh, but it's got less colour shift due to viewing angle that the TN screens fitted to MacBook Airs and the business spec Lenovo ThinkPads we buy at work.

Associate
I personally can't ever see myself getting this model. First and foremost, I require power, for longevity if anything else. And the lack of ports is a big downside. I know usage of ports has decreased in recent times especially with the uptake of cloud storage, but it's nice to have the option. I'm also quite disappointed they've pretty much killed off MagSafe charging!

Associate
Hope the keyboard & trackpad trickle down to the other Macbook models / next refreshes.

The current rMBP's have the force track pad if I'm not mistaken.

I have a mid 2014 13" rMBP and I love it, had I not had one of these first and the rMB had a magsafe connector I could've gone for it, i honestly thought the keyboard was the biggest caveat for me but after trying a friends I like it, the initial key travel was weird but after 20 mins or so I was quite comfortable and converted, but the single connector is just too big a compromise, that and the fact the pro just beats it hands down in every department for me except weight, and I'm not build like Ally Macbeal so I can handle the extra weight on foot or a bike.

2nd or 3rd gen rMB could be a massive thing for Apple though.

Associate
Are you amazed by the track pad?

i had to re-adjust to having to "click" instead of just touch the pad. and to be fair there are only a couple of times i use the force touch. but yes. it still fools me.

but no. i would not start every sentence with an amazing adjective.

Associate
You can still just tap the pad rather than click. You just need to turn the setting on. It confused me for a second too when playing with it in store.

Yeah I sa, used it for a day, then turned it back on as otherwise I was hardly Using the feature. I'm used to it now and have a little trouble going back to the air.

Associate
Ultra portables market certainly getting crowded. How many will chose iPad pro or surface over a new MacBook or ultraportable!

Soldato
I would go with the Macbook, iPad pro doesn't run the apps I need for work and iOS is far far far too limiting. Hate windows for work, so not left with a huge amount of options.

Was giving the Macbook some thought the other day, but the screen size is putting me off, just seems a tad too small to be able to get my work done, and its far too expensive for a fun gadget. I would actual really enjoy a 14/15" Macbook, there are a lot of times where my work doesn't need a quadcore i7 and I think I would be fine with a lower powered CPU.

Soldato
Ultra portables market certainly getting crowded. How many will chose iPad pro or surface over a new MacBook or ultraportable!

Considering all the raving about how the 12" Macbook is a glorified netbook due to it's slow processor. It would make even less sense to get the slower iPad Pro.

The Macbook Air (if you forgive the poor screen) and Surface Pro 3 are probably the best ultra portables on the market at the moment.

Permabanned
The MacBook is fantastic for office work. I regularly have Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Email, Safari(10 tabs) open at the same time and it runs perfectly.
If you want to run heavy files in Photoshop or Final Cut Pro etc. then get a MacBook Pro.

Back
Top Bottom