Macbook Air + Win 10 1903 (WDF_Violation)

Associate
Something must have been broken then in windows, at least it's sorted now.
indeed.

I also checked the registry and it's there now. I'm guessing what must have happened is - on my first attempt when i replaced the .sys file, Windows automatically removed it from registry to prevent it from booting. I think it may be a safety feature of some sort. I done that without going into Safe Mode which i want to point out because i think it's very important to be in Safe Mode for this whole thing to work properly.

Permabanned
OP
indeed.

I also checked the registry and it's there now. I'm guessing what must have happened is - on my first attempt when i replaced the .sys file, Windows automatically removed it from registry to prevent it from booting. I think it may be a safety feature of some sort. I done that without going into Safe Mode which i want to point out because i think it's very important to be in Safe Mode for this whole thing to work properly.

Nope I never used safe mode and it worked fine.

Associate
Nope I never used safe mode and it worked fine.

It's just without Safe Mode, i got a BSOD with a WDF VIOLATION as soon as it made it to the desktop.

I did it without Safe Mode first before updating to 1903 but then after the update, Windows got rid of the registry and stopped loading MacHALDriver altogether.

Associate
Hello There I am a MacBook pro user (13" late 2011) and I have been having a problem when I install the Bluetooth driver then I get a WDF_VIOLATION blue screen and while im here my windows 10 is also not supporting my speakers no aux Plz Help!!

Permabanned
OP
Hello There I am a MacBook pro user (13" late 2011) and I have been having a problem when I install the Bluetooth driver then I get a WDF_VIOLATION blue screen and while im here my windows 10 is also not supporting my speakers no aux Plz Help!!

I know nothing about the pro model. Only thing I can suggest is a fresh install with bootcamp drivers since it's a pro late 2011.

Associate
Hey all. I use a MacBook pro retina 13" (late 2012 I think) and mrbell1984's .sys file works for me! Even though his MacBook is an air... just wanted to let you all know this :) surprised to have followed his instructions, rebooted and found that my keyboard is now backlit! and the function keys are working like they should be!!! Thankyou!!

Just to add, I did the .sys swap in safe mode since i'd tried yesterday in normal mode with no success (I don't know if the safe mode helped or if I just screwed things up on my first attempt)
I put the .sys file in both the /system32/ folder and the /system32/drivers/ folder because the original .sys file was in the /system32/drivers/ folder for some reason, no idea why.. but atleast one of them did the job xD

Associate
https://www.reddit.com/r/bootcamp/comments/cesawt/how_to_get_windows_10_1903_working_properly_in/

I hope nobodys annoyed by this bump, but I found another good solution after struggling to install Bootcamp on a new SSD on my Mid-2012 non-retina MacBook Pro 15". It's essentially very similar to the one in this thread, but will work without the dependancy on a upload somewhere in the internet.

The reasons for this BSOD are simple: Some Bootcamp support drivers are simply too old for the 1903 update of Windows 10 and cause some kind of hickup, so you need to replace them before they can cause any harm to your system.

The way to solve it:

1. You need to install Windows 10 with all its updates BEFORE you install any Bootcamp drivers.
2. Then install the drivers of your Mac system (brigadier helps with that), but DON'T restart yet. You need to edit two files before that.
3. Head to C:\Windows\System32\drivers. Delete WUDFRd.sys & rename MacHalDriver.sys to MacHalDriver.sys.bak (you might need to allow permission in order to do that, which is its own topic. I might link instructions to that later)
4. Create a shortcut to brigardier, right-click it and edit "destination" like this: "brigadier.exe" --model iMacPro1,1" - This will force brigardier to download more recent drivers that you will need.
5. Run this shortcut, head to the directory where brigardier.exe is in and click through this path: BootCamp-041-55643\BootCamp\Drivers\Apple\AppleHAL.
6. Right click on that "newer" MacHALDriver.inf & install it. Check if this file appears in the System32. folder.
7. Restart & enjoy your system!

Feel free to text me or ask me questions on any of these steps. I struggled for two weeks and finally got it working. At the end, here's some context & insights which might only relate to my MacBook model, but might help you with your Bootcamp issues:

- It's somehow more difficult to install Bootcamp on a SSD
- In case you removed your DVD drive in favor of another HDD (like I did), UNPLUG the HDD drive before erasing your SSD & installing your TimeMachine Backup
- I also updated to macOS Catalina: That's when the Bootcamp assistent worked the best (I unchecked Windows Support software though - it loaded way longer than it should and I was fine with using brigardier for that)
- You should install from a DVD and not from a USB stick. The Win10 installation didn't accept the BC partition for some reason when trying it with a ISO-based USB stick
- ...but if you removed your disc drive and connected it externally via USB, it might still need a stick in order to even start any BC assistent functions. So leave a stick in there, let it install an ISO on it, but don't use it.
- Hook your MacBook to ethernet, since its the only way to update Windows before installing the Bootcamp drivers.
- After you finished all steps, you're free to reconnect your other HDD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom