MacBook Pro 2020 Issues

Soldato
Hi all,

Thought I'd post this here before going to Apple as I know their are some good techs here who might help myself.

Basically I have recently purchased the base model Pro 2020 edition (massive upgrade from my Mid 2010).
Upon loading certain apps/internet pages/videos the Mac appears to freeze. I have the spinning ball or on videos it's like a graphics lag as the render tries to catchup with the image etc.

So example being. If I minimise an app it sometimes freezes as it's closing. followed by the spinning ball. after 4 to 5 seconds it catches up and closes. Or if I'm scrolling through a webpage, folders in finder it will freeze before scrolling through.

Can anyone help with this issue or is this a software/hardware issue?

Any help is appreciated

Soldato
I'm on a 2020 MBP also (albeit a different CPU) and do not suffer such issues. There are some apps that I use that take a few seconds to close, as they need to save what's going on before closing, but everything else is incredibly snappy.

You can try the advice above, but if that doesn't fix the issue, there might be something wrong with the machine.

Man of Honour
That definitely sounds broken. I hammer my 2018 Pro daily with shed loads of Chrome tabs, Outlook, Zoom Meetings, watching Twitch, Virtualisation etc and it's only every now and again I get the beach ball. And it's driving two external monitors.

Man of Honour
How much RAM is installed and does it have an HDD or SSD?

Having lived on Macs for a decade, I strongly suggest filling it with the fastest RAM it’ll take and a decent SSD.
2020 models all have NVMe drives as standard. Although the base model only has 8GB, I wouldn't expect it to be beachballing so often.

Soldato
OP
I believe I may have found the cause. If I’m right.
So I’ve reinstalled the OS twice now and my Mac was still crashing.
In activity monitor I’ve found a few items which are hogging the cpu and ram.

basically iPhoto is downloading my backup photos. Approx 5k photos from my iPhone.

and the processes are then analysing them. photoanalysisd is basically using my cpu for 27hours @ 116%

Nsurlsessiond is using it for 13hours @ 25%

these are just two that stand out. mom going to let it do it’s thing and then assess.

Would this be the reason it’s being battered.

Soldato
If this is going on in the background while you try to use it, it's no real surprise that it is beach balling so often. Thankfully when I set mine up, it had about 400 images to download, with about 50 of them originating on my iPhone. You'll have to simply wait until this is finished unfortunately.

Soldato
I believe I may have found the cause. If I’m right.
So I’ve reinstalled the OS twice now and my Mac was still crashing.
In activity monitor I’ve found a few items which are hogging the cpu and ram.

basically iPhoto is downloading my backup photos. Approx 5k photos from my iPhone.

and the processes are then analysing them. photoanalysisd is basically using my cpu for 27hours @ 116%

Nsurlsessiond is using it for 13hours @ 25%

these are just two that stand out. mom going to let it do it’s thing and then assess.

Would this be the reason it’s being battered.

There's usually quite a bit of activity when you install a new OS as it builds index libraries and downloads photos, back ups and such. Spotlight (the indexing/searching tool) is a particular culprit for it.

Performance is usually restored once the machine's finished doing these, suggest leaving overnight plugged in to finish it then see how it is.

Soldato
OP
There's usually quite a bit of activity when you install a new OS as it builds index libraries and downloads photos, back ups and such. Spotlight (the indexing/searching tool) is a particular culprit for it.

Performance is usually restored once the machine's finished doing these, suggest leaving overnight plugged in to finish it then see how it is.

well I have done just that. Left it plugged in to try and allow it to finish all the processes it needs too.

Restarted this morning. With no other applications running. I did my test.
Opened Safari, selected google maps. typed in a place name to search. pressed enter and crash. Computer restarted

Associate
Definitely get apple to look at this. My 2020 Mac was slow to start with but after leaving it to do its thing for a few hours it sorted itself out and now it’s rapid on everything I do.

Man of Honour
well that never worked

my new MacBook is for the scrap after only 3 weeks
It sounds to me like the CPU is getting too hot, maybe the thermal paste hasn’t set. But as above, I’d be wanting to get a full replacement. Lucky for you their customer service tends to be excellent.

Back
Top Bottom