MacBook Pro battery recall - fire safety

Soldato
My old 2009, 2011 MBPs.. nope :) although I managed to get three dead GPUs and a dead memory channel.. Next a mac mini, which I cope will at least not die/explode even if it's hot!

Soldato
Interesting, I had my MBP just under a year now, bought it 2nd hand- I thought it was odd it had only a battery cycle count of 12 - I thought id grabbed a bargain of some sort - I've just entered my serial number and it says that 'our records show your battery has already been replaced as part of this program'.

Well well well - apparently apple has known this for nearly a year ? Why is this just becoming widely known now ?

Soldato
Interesting, I had my MBP just under a year now, bought it 2nd hand- I thought it was odd it had only a battery cycle count of 12 - I thought id grabbed a bargain of some sort - I've just entered my serial number and it says that 'our records show your battery has already been replaced as part of this program'.

Well well well - apparently apple has known this for nearly a year ? Why is this just becoming widely known now ?

Just means the serial number is eligible but they have records of a top case replacement on the serial number.
It prevents people getting another repair and instead a refund if it was a paid service

Soldato
But does that mean the battery is still dodgy or not ?
What is more likely. Your MBP keyboard failed (as is very common with this gen of MBP) and then they replaced the top case (includes speakers, keyboard, touchpad + battery).

This program will be for people who still have the original battery from way back then. Considering yours has already been replaced with a more modern one it's nothing to worry about. And the 12 cycle count on your MBP will be genuine.

Soldato
What is more likely. Your MBP keyboard failed (as is very common with this gen of MBP) and then they replaced the top case (includes speakers, keyboard, touchpad + battery).

This program will be for people who still have the original battery from way back then. Considering yours has already been replaced with a more modern one it's nothing to worry about. And the 12 cycle count on your MBP will be genuine.

Which means apple knew this a year ago and only just announced the program, dodgy.

Soldato
Which means apple knew this a year ago and only just announced the program, dodgy.
No... They recorded that they replaced your battery a year ago with a safer one and that's logged against your serial. They know it's safe because it's not the original one, it's a different one without the issue. The original batch of batteries must have had some manufacturing defect.

A: enter serial number, is it within the time range for the problem? Yes, go to B. No, go to D
B: has the battery been replaced with a newer safer one in the past? Yes, go to D. No, go to C
C: you need a new battery. End.
D: you don't need a new battery. End.

Soldato
This only affects mid 2015 15inch Macbook Pros (which were sold through to 2017). The turnaround time is currently 2-3 weeks. It also will be mailed to an Apple repair centre in CZ if you bring it to Apple store/ASP in the UK.

Soldato
The fact the purchase date range is so large is the odd thing .
Suspect it means it was a large batch of batteries from a specific supplier

Back
Top Bottom