MacBook Pro to LG HDTV

Associate
Hi, I've been search all over the place to find the right solution to my problem with no luck at all.

Picture-wise the connection is brilliant. I'm running a DVI to HDMI cable, which works fine. The problem is that I cannot get the sound from the MacBook through the TV.

Any ideas how I go about doing this? I have bought a jack to phone cable, no luck. also bought a digital optical cable, no luck.

Any help is most appreciated.

Cheers

Soldato
Hmm. HDMI cables also carry sound, which I reckon is your problem - I'm assuming there's no audio in 'allocated' to the HDMI cable.

I suspect you're stuffed unless you can run the audio to an amp. That's how I do it when I connect my macbook to my LG telly - DVI-HDMI cable, and the audio goes to my AV amp.

Soldato
Yeah - that's almost certainly the issue. When the TV uses the HDMI port, it expects the audio to come over the HDMI cable too - which obviously isn't possible with your setup.

Soldato
Only answer I can think of is get a mini-DVI to VGA adapter and run it through VGA, the TV should have an audio jack in for the VGA port :)

It'll cost £30-odd quid but should fix your problem.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Not all devices support sound over HDMI.

It's likely you'll need a separate out cable for that :)

Soldato
Not even sure they exist and I suspect they would be a bit expensive if they did but can you get a cable with HDMI on one end and DVI + 3.5mm jack on the other?

Associate
OP
That would be a solution, but as you said, I'm not sure they exist. I'll have to look into getting an amp and speakers by the looks of it.

Wouldn't have thought getting sound from the mac through the TV would be such a problem, would you!

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Just before you are mistaken, many HDTVs (unlike suggested above) still accept audio in from phono/jacks because of this very fact ie. PC->screen over HDMI. Are yousure you're using the correct audio in? My fathers LCD in the bedroom he uses a jack->jack when using his laptop as likewise, that is a dvi->hdmi.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Just before you are mistaken, many HDTVs (unlike suggested above) still accept audio in from phono/jacks because of this very fact ie. PC->screen over HDMI. Are yousure you're using the correct audio in? My fathers LCD in the bedroom he uses a jack->jack when using his laptop as likewise, that is a dvi->hdmi.

That's the point I was raising.

Try the HDMI lead, and a seperate 3.5mm audio jack.

Back
Top Bottom