CRW_8124s.jpg

Last edited:

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
OP
CRW_8113s.jpg

CRW_8128s.jpg

All taken with my Sigma 105mm Macro and 430EX. For some (Definitely the ant shot, not sure about some of the others) I used stacked Kenko extension tubes.

This was physically the most demanding 'shoot' I have ever done - the heat / humidity was almost unbearable and my clothes were wringing wet afterwards!

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
OP
They were taken in a place called Butterfly World in Edinburgh.

All the details are in the exif data, but I used a Sigma 105mm Macro, 430EX and a 300D

Soldato
The turtle image could do with being cropped, the large empty space on the left side is unnecessary.
I think the ant photo would have looked better from underneath with it's jaws in focus.

Associate
DRZ said:
Yeah, my sensor is getting to the "too dirty to continue" stage (for macro work at least).

It is getting cleaned tomorrow though :)

Do you do the cleaning yourself? Is it a frequent necessity? Is it costly?

I really like your photos, in my opionion the two you initially left out are the best.

Did you use a tripod, monopod, hand held or a combination?

Great work and the results must be worth the effort!

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
OP
SDK^ said:
The turtle image could do with being cropped, the large empty space on the left side is unnecessary.
I think the ant photo would have looked better from underneath with it's jaws in focus.

I tried and it seemed to look unbalanced, so I cropped it that way instead. Maybe I just did it badly - im still learning! :)

The ant was unfortunately on the bottom of a glass-walled tank thing, impossible to get at it from any other angle really (I was getting funny looks just leaning over the glass!)

Should I be pleased that someone as good at photography as you only had those things to say about them, or a little bit disappointed? :p

@Belly All of them were handheld! Cleaning isnt something you really have to do often and only costs a few quid to buy the stuff to do it. I am meeting up with a few of the people on here tomorrow in Liverpool and Lostkat kindly offered to do it for me / show me as I have never done it before - having owned the camera for about a year.

Associate
DRZ said:
Should I be pleased that someone as good at photography as you only had those things to say about them, or a little bit disappointed? :p

Any criticism aimed at improving one's performace is praise in itself! Of course the real lessons learned in life are the ones in which you made mistakes to begin with - you always remember those and try to correct them in future. I think lots of members give good critical advice, but some unfortunately belong to the "Mutual Back-Slappers Society" and who would gladly accept such praise?

Real criticism should be aimed at people who do nothing! Don't be disappointed, wear it like a medal!

Thanx for the info on cleaning. I'll try and read up on the subject before buying a DSLR

Back
Top Bottom