• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Mad Max goes vulkan

Soldato
Looking impressive, it's pretty much a doubling in performance with a 980Ti.

[Edit] It's not clear, is this Linux only? I know Feral do Linux and Mac ports but I wasn't sure if they were responsible for this or if they're just deploying it on Linux.

Soldato
OP
Looking impressive, it's pretty much a doubling in performance with a 980Ti.

[Edit] It's not clear, is this Linux only? I know Feral do Linux and Mac ports but I wasn't sure if they were responsible for this or if they're just deploying it on Linux.

Yes, it's Linux only. Ironic I know :p

Soldato
Fine for me, i've taken the bull by the horns and switched fully to Ubuntu for my gaming machine. :)

The AMD drivers are a bit finicky but they're really starting to get there now. I just worry legacy OpenGL performance and support will get neglected in favour of putting all resources into Vulkan, but on the whole it's not bad at all, quite playable in fact.

Soldato
OP
I'd like to go Linux dual-boot at some point, but what's the best flavour for gaming, and how does nVidia perform in Linux?

Nvidia is fine under Linux as is AMD tbh.

Distro choice is a personal thing really, A lot go fo Ubuntu, personally cant stand it. I'm just giving Antergos a whirl. It's spot on up to now. Every thing is in repo's and I do mean every thing (Linux wise)

Only switched from Mageia due to Ryzen build

Soldato
I don't mind Ubuntu but I can see why some hate it. Mint is also good if you're coming from WIndows as it's often cited as quite "Windows-like" in it's appearance.

As for drivers, nVidia Linux drivers are good but completely closed source, AMD are behind but catching up with their open-source AMDGPU-Pro driver (athough it does have closed source elements).

Soldato
Must say out of all the games mad max was the least I thought would get Vulkan.. Nice to see Linux getting some love, more of this please you never know Linux in the future could be a decent gaming platform that a lot of us have hoped for.

Associate
Must say out of all the games mad max was the least I thought would get Vulkan.. Nice to see Linux getting some love, more of this please you never know Linux in the future could be a decent gaming platform that a lot of us have hoped for.

Mad Max on Linux is only about 6 months old, a lot more recent than the Windows version, so I think it stands to reason they have been working on it for a while, they have been talking about Vulkan for a while so its nice to see the results. I would bet now they've got the implementation done their future games will also benefit.

This is really great news, the performance improvements are HUGE.

Soldato
I'm getting much crashing with Vulkan enabled. AMD users beware it seems.

Pity because when it does work, i'm getting near enough 100fps with an RX480.

Associate
I'm getting much crashing with Vulkan enabled. AMD users beware it seems.

Pity because when it does work, i'm getting near enough 100fps with an RX480.

It would be worth letting Feral know, there are a couple of Feral employees responding to the comments on the gamingonlinux article and they are asking for feedback:

"That is very strange sounds like you have a specific issue. Do make sure you leave feedback vulkanfeedback [at] feralinteractive.com so we can make fixes and/or report driver issues back to the driver teams."

Associate
I'd like to go Linux dual-boot at some point, but what's the best flavour for gaming, and how does nVidia perform in Linux?

I'd recommend Linux Mint to start with, its based on Ubuntu which all the developers test against as its also the foundation for SteamOS. The UI is very similar to Windows and easy to use, I much prefer it to the Unity UI in Ubuntu.

Game support is rapidly improving, a few years ago there were just a handful of Linux games in steam now there are thousands. Just over 50% of my steam library has Linux versions so I have plenty of games to play :) I've found the nVidia graphics drivers to be stable and not had any issues. One pretty big issue with Linux gaming is that almost all the games use OpenGL which is not as efficient as DirectX, so your FPS on Linux will almost certainly be lower than Windows. If you have a decent graphics card that can maintain a high enough FPS its not really an issue. Hopefully Vulkan will catch on with devs and then it should be a level playing field with better performance than DX11 and similar to DX12.

Back
Top Bottom