Made in England

Soldato
Who can remember the made in England sticker, which was on things you purchased?

Given the choice would you buy British if it meant you paid more for it? Not stupidly more for it but maybe 10% for goods made in the UK? Or how much more would you be willing to pay to see goods made here, by British workers?

Companies make stuff elsewhere, I understand why, but what if we were given the choice and this choice was made crystal clear why it cost more?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
If it was for identical quality/no tangible extra "value" in terms of features, I'd have a very hard time justifying upping my spending by 10%. I think this is more easily achieved by government giving funding/tax breaks for companies that make and sell products in the UK.

Man of Honour
If it was for identical quality/no tangible extra "value" in terms of features, I'd have a very hard time justifying upping my spending by 10%. I think this is more easily achieved by government giving funding/tax breaks for companies that make and sell products in the UK.

The effect is the same, since the government doesn't generate money. If the government is using money to pay companies to make and sell products in the UK, that money is coming from the UK and, ultimately, from you (and me and everyone else).

I think I'd be willing to pay the 10% extra on at least some things because I think in the long run I'd be better off doing so. It's better for the economy and it's better for the environment.

Although maybe not for the economy. There's a difference between "made in the UK (by a UK company employing people in the UK" and "made in the UK (by machines owned by a foreign company that employs hardly anyone in the UK)". It's no longer the case that local manufacturing definitely helps that country's economy.

Soldato
@Angilion you're right re not necessarily being a benefit to local manufacturing. Taking nissan as an example brexiters say it will prosper as we will be selling from a lower currency thus making it cheaper to buy for foreign companies.... Forgetting that a Nissan is made with around 70% imported parts so it will be just as expensive :p

Caporegime
Who can remember the made in England sticker, which was on things you brought?
Brought what where?

Given the choice would you buy British if it meant you paid more for it? Not stupidly more for it but maybe 10% for goods made in the UK? Or how much more would you be willing to pay to see goods made here, by British workers?

Companies make stuff elsewhere, I understand why, but what if we were given the choice and this choice was made crystal clear why it cost more?
I think I remember British beef had a 'buy British' or some similar kind of sticker on it many years ago so this idea is hardly new. I'd imagine even the most patriotic/muh sovereignty kind of person would balk at paying over the odds for the same thing just because it was made in the country they live in. The imports market would tend to back that up.

Caporegime
Buying something "Made in England" would probably be enough to put you on a far right watch list these days. Article in DM today about the army looking out for soldiers who are too patriotic, what are they fighting and putting their lives on the line for if not their country?

JRS

JRS

Soldato

Sure. On all sorts of electrical components for cars. Ah Lucas, the Prince Of Darkness...replace it all with American or German made stuff and it would actually function for any length of time...

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The very thing that made Made In England British is no longer made here anyway. It all went south when Aston Martin adopted a German powerplant :D

Soldato
I'd pay extra.

I've paid slightly over the odds if I'm dealing with someone I can respect i.e. they are genuine and trying to make a living.

I consider it helping to promote local businesses.

Soldato
I do try to where I can. For some things it's hard or impossible.

Recently cleared out the garage of a recently deceased old man, he was a bit of a hoarder so there was lots of stuff in there. A beer with stamps out of the label for the sell by date (1982) was there. But what did astound me was the amount of things that were "Made in England" or more specifically certain places within England. It is kind of sad that British manufacturing is mostly dead. All seems like a bit of a ruse though. Move away from manufacturing so that we can push more people into the middle class. Meanwhile all it's done is shift all the factories to China etc. It's the same with a lot of the carbon initiatives. Great, we've reduced landfill and factories that burn loads of coal and so as the UK alone we have lowered our emissions. All we've really done is get China to burn our plastic, but it's ok because the UK has lower emissions... Yeah, all we did was push the 'dirty work' out of the country so that we can showboat on the world stage. It's all ********.

Caporegime
What? I thought the globalisation was a good thing, when we had it rammed down our throats in the 80s and 90s.

When it comes to food, yes, realistically it's probably one thing you can still buy that's "made" in Britain. The premium for that though can be 100% or more.

As for electronics or other goods... No I don't think the UK can match a lot of products tbh. Is there such a thing as a British mobile phone manufacturing? All UK sourced parts?
Does Even the MOD use all British made stuff?

Could you imagine the implications of a WW3 where China just stopped shipping to UK.? I think we'd collapse in a month.

Caporegime

The problem is people were given a choice and voted with their wallets. When alternative items were available form.other manufactures with manufacturing elsewhere people purchased the cheaper item.

If the British does leave the EU then any ch age of a revival of British manufacturing is well and truly dead, and the recession will mean people are even more focussed on lowest price.

Soldato
Will be ironic that all imports will shoot up due to brexit then all the brexiteers will be complaining. (that's my prediction, sorry about mentioning the b word). You can see the cost difference on eBay quite easily, anything from China tends to be cheapest but comes on a slow boat. Pay a premium for UK stuff but have it sooner.

Back
Top Bottom