Mafia Trilogy Remaster

Soldato
Tried it out and it isn't even a locked 4K60 using an overclocked 5700XT. Terrible performance for a game that looks rubbish. Not replaying it.

Decided to play Infinite Warfare today, locked 4K60.

Soldato
I really enjoyed Mafia 2,So will most likely pick this up at some point,can definitely tell a difference in the remaster with the graphics just look more clear and better view distance.

I'm confused though,Will this "remaster" become a multipack where you get Mafia 1,2 & 3?

Associate
I saw a YouTube video earlier saying it was just a slight graphical improvement (Mafia 2) and am I right in thinking only 2 and 3 are available now and 1 is still to come?

I loved 2 back in the day, especially the driving with it set to 'simulation', can anyone confirm if it still feels the same?

Soldato
Mafia 2 and 3 Definitive are available now, Mafia 1 Remake is coming in August.

Daniel Vavra didn't even know about the remake until recently. What I would give to have him back working on it.

Soldato
Wasn't Mafia 1 and 2 made by a different team?

I had Mafia 3 from before, recently completed it and all the DLC's as I was expecting Mafia 4. It updated recently with the definitive edition patch, though I haven't played it.

I've been playing Mafia 2 definitive edition. Back in the day I played this and all the dlc's. This has all the dlc's included. There is frame stuttering, even in the cut scenes which is odd. I'm on PS4 Pro.

Soldato
Oh they removed physx from mafia 2 i think, in the original it has options, but in the remastered it doesnt.

It's still there!

Go to options, set graphics to high.

Exit game.

Go to My Game/Mafia II Definitive Edition/Data/profiles/*game ID*

Edit settings.xml

Check Apex setting, if it isn't 2 then set it so.

Save and exit.

Go to game folder, got to EDIT/APEX

Back up the Cloth folder then delete the original.

Boom, you got Physx back!

You can't see it in benchmarks, game only.

Well nice, real shame Physx didn't catch on for us Nvidia users, makes a big difference to games when implemented well.

Soldato
Wasn't Mafia 1 and 2 made by a different team?

Mafia 1 was made by Illusion Softworks, directed by Dan Vávra. Same team then went to make Mafia 2. Unfortunately it took 8 years because their chosen engine for M2 (Renderware) was bought by EA and made unavailable for licensing. So after spending couple years with it they had to make a new engine and for next-gen (at the time) as well.
Dan Vávra wrote and designed lot of Mafia 2, but year before it was finished he left Illusion (now it was called 2K Czech because Take2 bought it and renamed it). He left because foreign management was meddling with the design and he got fed up, plus he spent couple years on projects that were not greenlit (incl. his version of Mafia 3 and HiTech, of which video can be seen on youtube).
After he left, he spent few years finding investor for Warhorse so he could make Kingdom Come Deliverance. 2K closed Prague office in 2012 or so, so many people from there who worked on Mafia then went to Warhorse.

2K then established Hangar 13 in Novato, and added Brighton as well as integrating the remains of 2K Czech into it. So now Hangar 13 has 4 studios (Brighton, Novato, reopened Prague and Brno). They worked on the Mafia 3 as it exists and on Mafia 1 remake.

Soldato
Mafia 1 was made by Illusion Softworks, directed by Dan Vávra. Same team then went to make Mafia 2. Unfortunately it took 8 years because their chosen engine for M2 (Renderware) was bought by EA and made unavailable for licensing. So after spending couple years with it they had to make a new engine and for next-gen (at the time) as well.
Dan Vávra wrote and designed lot of Mafia 2, but year before it was finished he left Illusion (now it was called 2K Czech because Take2 bought it and renamed it). He left because foreign management was meddling with the design and he got fed up, plus he spent couple years on projects that were not greenlit (incl. his version of Mafia 3 and HiTech, of which video can be seen on youtube).
After he left, he spent few years finding investor for Warhorse so he could make Kingdom Come Deliverance. 2K closed Prague office in 2012 or so, so many people from there who worked on Mafia then went to Warhorse.

2K then established Hangar 13 in Novato, and added Brighton as well as integrating the remains of 2K Czech into it. So now Hangar 13 has 4 studios (Brighton, Novato, reopened Prague and Brno). They worked on the Mafia 3 as it exists and on Mafia 1 remake.

I wish we could Like posts on the forum. That was a very informative post.

I thought I recognised Dan Vavra. I remember playing Kingdom Come Deliverance.

I wonder if we'll ever get a Mafia 4.

Soldato
What sort of performance are people getting. I have a decent pc and it's struggling in 1440p. I'm using high setting I tried benchmark and it was only classed as C. Struggles to stay over 60fps. Can't be right. I remember i tried physics on with my 5700 at and it ran terrible. I turned it off and I was getting 200fps. May have to do the edit thing.

Soldato
Yeah that's what I'm saying about Physx. It's supposed to be enabled by default on remaster so when I put everything in high it's just not good. I'll try then hack to disable it. A 5700XT and a Ryzen 3600 should be plenty for this game.

Soldato
Strange game this. i havent touched the Physx yet but i ran benchmark again on high settings and got min 28fps max 166fps average 82.1fps Rank A. Game is performing optimally.

Game is performing very nicely indeed now.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I enjoyed playing it through again despite the gameplay feeling a little dated. Examples:

- No bullet penetration, yet enemies can shoot you behind cover no problem
- Police line of sight is off
- Far too many police, the budget for Empire Bay must be crazy
- Blindfire doesn't exist, at least not as I could tell. Enemies can blind fire with ridiculous accuracy no problem

I also tried Mafia 3 but to be honest I couldn't live with the vaseline smeared over everything. Mafia 2 looks considerably better, plus the story for 2 is in a different league as is the sound track :) (Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran, Little Richard etc... awesome!).

All that being said I'm glad I bought the trilogy as for the money you can't go wrong. 2 remastered with all DLC, 3 with all DLC and 1 remade from the ground up - thats a lot of gaming for the cash.

Caporegime
I might've been a bit harsh on 3, I've gone back to it and it's better than I remember. The DLC is actually pretty good as well, substantial and interesting.

Playing mafia 3 now for the first time and these are my fears for mafia 1 of how they will ruin it.

• They will remove the need to learn to break into a car and just have it so all cars are drivable from the start
  • Remove speed limit and red lights issues with the cops and it being something you have to pay attention to as cops aren't easy to get away from in the starting vehicles
  • Health regen by simply not being shot for x amount of seconds
  • Arcade driving
  • Removed the ability to do missions in different ways that'll effect later sections, e.g the mission where you're collecting money from various places and you have to go to that country house but it goes sour. When you arrive if you blow out the yellow cars tyres, you then won't get a chase section to the mission later. And various other things like that I forgot.
  • I feel changing Tommy's look hasn't kept the original character feel which is a bit disappointing as Tommy was the best character in all 3 and it feels he's being erased. Also the voice too, though I can kind of accept this as they will likely have new scenes and need a new voice actor to do it all
  • They will add a god awful mini map
  • Far too much hand holding. Mafia 3 just points to every single thing you can do. Let me figure it out ffs.

Back
Top Bottom