Mafia Trilogy Remaster

Associate
I loved the first game and have read a few reviews and they seemed mixed. Tempted to pick it up in a sale maybe.

The shootout at the farm in the rain is still one of the best levels in any game i have played, hopefully thats still as good.

I loved the first game and have read a few reviews and they seemed mixed. Tempted to pick it up in a sale maybe.

The shootout at the farm in the rain is still one of the best levels in any game i have played, hopefully thats still as good.

Part of the joy if that level was the way that once the mission starts you get told "go find Sam" and nothing else. So you have to search every barn, building, each corner not knowing where the bad guys are and where sam is.

From the gameplay released a couple months back, it seemed the map told you exactly the straight line to take to find Sam, where each bad guy is with red dots on the map. This dumbing down is what will ruin the mystery of that level.

Was Mafia 3 any good?
I only just finished it weeks ago for the first time and pushed through and enjoyed aspects of it. If it had an actual story that followed a straight line path then I'd have liked it more. Instead it had that assassins creed style where you have zones and each zone you have x amount of collectables to "find" (easily shown on the map when you get close enough) and you had x amount of samey missions to do to bring out the boss to then kill/recruit. All this done in any order too. Wasn't a big fan of that as it felt too open.

The fighting was good and felt really satisfying. The dialogue was fine. The graphics good enough.

I remember a mod for mafia 1, I think it was called lost Haven mod, or something like thst, which tried to add having an empire, areas you control, being a bit mod mob boss like, and mafia 3 seemed to try to do this too. It did it well enough, I just don't think it worked perfectly.

Id rate mafia 3 6/10. The story of mafia 1 mixed with the game play of 3 I'm hoping for a game I'd rate 8/10, with 2 points missing because I'm sure it'll be so dumb and hand holding. I think I'll be putting a post it note over the map almost straight away.

Soldato
OP
Where are you getting your reviews from as the few I've read say it's a 7 or 8 out of 10 area game?

The game has been dumbed down from my limited play. I did the first mission and in the old game you were told to lose the the bad guys and that was it. in this new game you have to follow checkpoints and go through scripted shortcuts to shake the bad guys.

I didn't realise this and after going to a scripted roadblock smash I tried to drive to little Italy over one of the bridges but it was blocked by some lorries and boxes I've tried to smash through it but just stopped dead as I hadn't completed enough stupid scripted shortcut things!!!!!!

I didn't realise this and after going to a scripted roadblock smash I tried to drive to little Italy over one of the bridges but it was blocked by some lorries and boxes I've tried to smash through it but just stopped dead as I hadn't completed enough stupid scripted shortcut things!!!!!!
Ffs. I didn't want to hear that. I remember being so good at the first mission I'd lose them by the first corner. I'd let the enemy car overtake and then push the car from the back rear into a pole proper mafia style and then drive off. Mission done.

Makes me think about the mission where you collect the protection money but the last place goes wrong and you have to kill everyone and then finally chase the guy in the bright yellow car. If you popped the tyres of the car before going in, you'd not have the car chase. I bet they have removed things like this

Soldato
OP
Yes I think that sort of detail has been lost. I think for people who Like Games and haven't played the first one recently then it'll be a good game. But Mafia 1 nerds it's dumbed down.

But again, I've only played the first mission!!

Associate
Part of the joy if that level was the way that once the mission starts you get told "go find Sam" and nothing else. So you have to search every barn, building, each corner not knowing where the bad guys are and where sam is.

From the gameplay released a couple months back, it seemed the map told you exactly the straight line to take to find Sam, where each bad guy is with red dots on the map. This dumbing down is what will ruin the mystery of that level.

Wtf spoiler alert

Back
Top Bottom