Magnificent Reddit Image Site Shares

Man of Honour
What's the best way to use Reddit? Is it image sharing like Flickr or is it more like a set of forums?

I am on Facebook although I find in complicated in that I don't know where my posts end up going. At least on a forum like here I know where my posts / topics are and I can search for them.

Soldato
What's the best way to use Reddit? Is it image sharing like Flickr or is it more like a set of forums?

I am on Facebook although I find in complicated in that I don't know where my posts end up going. At least on a forum like here I know where my posts / topics are and I can search for them.
Reddit is more like a forum, each subreddit is a subforum.

On Dacebooo (autocorrected Facebook to this, wtf?), to locate anythign you've done just look at your activity feed which is on your profile page.

Soldato
Reddit's pretty terrible as a discussion platform. The voting system works on upvote/downvote, which is meant to be used for contributes to discussion/doesn't contribute to discussion respectively. Knowing human nature though what it really turns into is I agree/I disagree. This paired with the majority of subreddits defaulting to sorting by top/best posts leads to echo chambers. If the site really wanted to promote discussion it should by default sort by controversial (which IIRC means it's been heavily upvoted and downvoted, i.e. a lot agree and disagree, and should therefore be at the top for discussion). It's why although reddit is good for looking at funny images and gifs, it's terrible for discussion. I still come back to forums like this because there's no voting system, no like system, no obvious popularity system. Votes stand on their own between other posts, discussion flows better.

Soldato
pretty terrible as a discussion platform. The voting system works on upvote/downvote, which is meant to be used for contributes to discussion/doesn't contribute to discussion respectively. Knowing human nature though what it really turns into is I agree/I disagree. This paired with the majority of subreddits defaulting to sorting by top/best posts leads to echo chambers. If the site really wanted to promote discussion it should by default sort by controversial (which IIRC means it's been heavily upvoted and downvoted, i.e. a lot agree and disagree, and should therefore be at the top for discussion). It's why although reddit is good for looking at funny images and gifs, it's terrible for discussion. I still come back to forums like this because there's no voting system, no like system, no obvious popularity system. Votes stand on their own between other posts, discussion flows better.
can't you just set it how you like by default?

B@

Associate
It's why although reddit is good for looking at funny images and gifs, it's terrible for discussion.

I agree but it does rather depend on the size of the subreddit. Any default sub like /r/pics or /r/videos are going to be somewhat of a disaster area but the smaller subs can be very useful sometimes. There is a skill to picking through the circlejerk aspects and finding good information.

Soldato

Get an app on your phone. I'm on reddit for probably 2 hours every night...it's pretty addictive. Probably subscribed to 100-200 different subreddits.

There's a subreddit fro everything that you're interested in. Any hobby...name it and it'll be on there.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
I definitely recommend installing Reddit Enhancement Suite (browser addon). It adds lots of useful features, e.g., a new tab in the top menu for "show images" that opens all the images in the page inline so you don't have to click individual posts.

Soldato
Reddit's pretty terrible as a discussion platform. The voting system works on upvote/downvote, which is meant to be used for contributes to discussion/doesn't contribute to discussion respectively. Knowing human nature though what it really turns into is I agree/I disagree. This paired with the majority of subreddits defaulting to sorting by top/best posts leads to echo chambers. If the site really wanted to promote discussion it should by default sort by controversial (which IIRC means it's been heavily upvoted and downvoted, i.e. a lot agree and disagree, and should therefore be at the top for discussion). It's why although reddit is good for looking at funny images and gifs, it's terrible for discussion. I still come back to forums like this because there's no voting system, no like system, no obvious popularity system. Votes stand on their own between other posts, discussion flows better.

Agreed. Reddit is a toxic cesspool for the most part popular opinions get upvoted unpopular ones get downvoted to oblivion. Not only does this lead to cheerleading for popular topics but also pitchforks out for unpopular ones. Even worse is misinformation just goes round and round in circles everyone hears and upvotes what they want to hear and downvote anything they don't so it become regularized in everyones mind as "truth" when its usually anything but its simply what people want to hear. A self perpetuating echo chamber . Moderation is slim to non-existent partly because thats the culture but also because the moderators do not have the ability to permaban anyone - they can remove posting access but anyone can just sign in with a new account - only the reddit admins have the ability to permaban and they rarely use it, heck there are even subreddits that openly and blantantly discuss software piracy and other illegal activity and the distant and remote admins simply ignore it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I disagree. Reddit is awesome for finding exactly the information you need. If you don't know, someone on there will. I've never seen so many varied and interesting stories, and I've found interests in things that I didn't even know existed. It's opened my mind.

Back
Top Bottom