Mahogany/Steel Computerdesk [SCRATCHBUILD] Dreamhack Summer Masters Winner

Soldato
Beautiful work. Hope to build a simple case with wood panels one day, with some tempered glass and a bit of subtle white lighting and "retro" Noctua fans. This is something else though. Stunned. Thank you for sharing.

Associate
Can I have your phone number to go on my speed dial? There's an £18.4m jackpot on tonights Lotto and I might be needing a new computerdesk built tomorrow...!

Associate
OP
Just letting you know there will be a xmas new years hiatus. Back building with chrome plated parts in the start of Januari. I will also have some cnc milled cable holders etc. But until then I wish you a thoroughly enjoyable christmas and a happy new year!

Associate
OP
Well time to get back to work after my first vacation in quite some time :)

Got the cabelholders watercut. Next up is sanding them to about 500 grit and then powder coating. I'm decently happy with how they turned out. I went with 8mm 1365 steel this time for some true strength.

There's room for 6 cabels ontop of each other in each opening and 6 satadata cabels in the wider hole. I'll drill true them and mount them with screws down in the table.

I got 8 of them so I can have 1 every 10 centimeters or so :)

vIgj3hRl.jpg

8zwbhlWl.jpg

And then the beast has arrived :) 49 inches of samsung goodness. Still in the box because we need to weld a new stand for this thing but it's all good.

kYl5jgCl.jpg

And lastly some more trivial things like 60 fittigs for watercooling, internal usb 3.0 extenders. 90 degree connections for sata ports etc etc. I got my work cut out for me!

Here's the mess^^

OJdtsyrl.jpg

Associate
You sir are an artisan, as commented previously the desk is stunning - it's a work of art and the level of engineering (love the hinge mechanism!) that has gone into it is also stellar.

Aside from the custom mount for the screen, have you given any thought to any further customisation to fit the art deco theme of the desk, for example dressing the bezel in the same wood?

Associate
OP
You sir are an artisan, as commented previously the desk is stunning - it's a work of art and the level of engineering (love the hinge mechanism!) that has gone into it is also stellar.

Aside from the custom mount for the screen, have you given any thought to any further customisation to fit the art deco theme of the desk, for example dressing the bezel in the same wood?

Well it is art deco influenced in the sense of materials and grandiosity and some of the lines but I'm not sure it is or was meant to be a representation of that certain art style in particular. It's more an expression of what I like and what "my style" in design (hate that word) would look like. All be it that style borrows from the art deco era. Since I guess my dream would be building these bespoke for anyone interested and tailoring the innards of the table for the customer but keep the overall design. This desk is essentially a prototype and will be my personal computer for the foreseeable future.

In terms of added things to the table I think you should wait for the nickel-plated parts to arrive and for me to redo the top section of the feet and finish the monitor stand. I think it will come together agreeable and you will maybe enjoy it then a bit more.

That being said I intend to make my whole office in the same style. Chair, lightning, speakers etc

Associate
OP
Please don't get me wrong, I absolutely love it as it is. My comment was not intended as any kind of criticism, it was more "thinking aloud" about other possibilities. :)

Sorry reading through it again I understood you a bit better. But speaking of tweaks I intend to cover up the backside of that screen (all the plastic) With a sheet of mahogany that follows the curve or just a sheet of metal and I might have to dress to bezels with the same chrome as on the other parts just to make it fit the build.

However it's extremely difficult to machine that so and I'll void the warranty for sure so I gotta think of how I will approach that.

Associate
I would love to see a bespoke monitor arm made from stainless steel rather than the plasticy one it comes with as it would make this amazing desk look the best I have ever seen. Something simple, clean lines would really match the amazing wood perfectly and the legs as well
BTW- the craftsmanship shown in this build is top top notch- very jealous and well done

Associate
OP
I would love to see a bespoke monitor arm made from stainless steel rather than the plasticy one it comes with as it would make this amazing desk look the best I have ever seen. Something simple, clean lines would really match the amazing wood perfectly and the legs as well
BTW- the craftsmanship shown in this build is top top notch- very jealous and well done

I actually said "Bear in mind I'll make a custom stand" and I will. I will also probably cover up the plastic back with wood and give it the same stain and varnish and dress the bezels in nickel plated chrome just to match the build.

Back
Top Bottom