1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mail Server

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by Trigger, 16 Jun 2006.

1. Trigger

Mobster

Hi,

Can anyone recommend me a free internal mail server for a school please? It doesn't need to send or receive mail from outside our LAN and I think it needs some kind of web interface for them to send mail of possible :) Needs to be for a windows server though if possible :cool:

Thanks

Ben

2. oddjob62

Sgarrista

3. riddlermarc

Man of Honour

.. as ^ said, not that many free Windows-based mail servers but head over to the Linux forum and we can get you up and running with a linux-based mail lserver within two hours.. ;)

4. M0KUJ1N

PermaBanned

If it HAS to be Windows you could always use Mercury. Supports IMAP, POP3 and SMTP and is fairly idiot-proof too.

5. Kona*

Wise Guy

Has to be hMailServer :) http://www.hmailserver.com/ - Open Source (so free) has a webadmin interface and integrates with SquirrelMail very easily!

Craig

6. Trigger

Mobster

Thanks for all the replies :)

Well I've tried to install hMailServer but it keeps telling me that ports 25, 110 and 143 are in use and i've looked at this in netstat -an and they aren't there- any ideas?

I've also tried Mercury with Pegasus but Mercury doesn't seem idiot proof enough for me- it keeps asking me to provide an ISP mail server address and I don't want it to touch mail coming in from outside the network :(

Any help appreciated, thanks

Ben

7. Trigger

Mobster

Okay so I've managed to get mailenable set up which looks quite impressive. I've set up mailboxes etc but how exactly do the users get to their mailbox- is it web client or an exe?

8. oddjob62

Sgarrista

The standard (free) version only supports POP3. So you need to use a client that supports that.

http://www.mailenable.com/features/mailservices.asp

9. Trigger

Mobster

Will pegasus work? Any ideas how I configure it? Does the standard version of ME have SMTP support then because it says the service is running :confused:

Thanks

Ben

10. oddjob62

Sgarrista

Never used pegasus sorry.

Quick google brings up this
    Don't know if it helps

According to that link in my last post it does support SMTP.

11. Trigger

Mobster

Oh sorry, I thought the dot lined up with POP Retrieval :o

I'll give that link a go tonight and see what happens- thanks :)

Ben

12. Trigger

Mobster

Right, that's kinda set up how I want it not but one thing is confusing me. In pegasus setup, it asks me for the pop3 and smtp server names that I guess are associated with mailenable but what do I actually put for the addresses?

Thanks

Ben

13. sja360

Mobster

the machines IP address that you installed the mailserver software on? atleast thats what i'd have thought. unless it isnt that clear cut?

14. Trigger

Mobster

Yeah but can I just put 'pop3.[172.17.0.4]' and 'smtp.[172.17.0.4]' or do I need something after it?

Thanks

Ben

15. sja360

Mobster

doesnt have to be pop3.172.0.0.1 its just 172.0.0.1 i think.
    and it'd be the same IP for POP3/SMTP also

16. Trigger

Mobster

Great- that's working now. Thanks :)

The problem I have now is that I can send mail but not receive it. I've set it up using Outlook Express for the client for now because I don't like the pegasus interface. It says the email address is rejected and the error is 0x800CCC79. The odd thing is though if I go to the mail enable admin console on the server and send some mail, it sends fine :confused:

17. sja360

Mobster

have you tried another email address? also its an internal email address you're sending it to not something external?

18. Trigger

Mobster

Yeah, I've tried three different addresses and still the same. I created a domain in mailenable called 'Ruskin' so the address will be '[email protected]' which works fine if I try and send it via mailenable :confused:

Thanks for the help BTW, much appreciated :cool:

19. Sone

Sgarrista

i have alwas liked mercury mail server for windows, but you seem to be sorted with mailenable

20. oddjob62

Sgarrista

Mate, you may want to do some reading on how email works. (no offence intended, it will make your life a lot easier in the long run)

1. Ruskin is not a valid domain on the internet (needs to be Ruskin.com or Ruskin.co.uk etc), and you need to own that domain or at least have adminsitrative control of it.

2. How does incoming mail know to to to your mail server? You need to set up MX records to point to your server.

3. Just try it with Outlook Express for the moment as more people will have had experience with it and can help you better.

Last edited: 17 Jun 2006