Mail Server

Soldato
OP
oddjob62 said:
Mate, you may want to do some reading on how email works. (no offence intended, it will make your life a lot easier in the long run)

1. Ruskin is not a valid domain on the internet (needs to be Ruskin.com or Ruskin.co.uk etc), and you need to own that domain or at least have adminsitrative control of it.

2. How does incoming mail know to to to your mail server? You need to set up MX records to point to your server.

3. Just try it with Outlook Express for the moment as more people will have had experience with it and can help you better.

No it doesn't need to be .com or .co.uk at all- it's for internal mail only and will have no contact with external mail. I could give the extention .local, .dom or .internal if I needed to. The only problem I'm having is sending mail from outlook express- it send fine from the mailenable console :confused:

Soldato
he's right about adding it to the mx records in the dns, as without it it wont be able to recieve (or was it send?) email instead for the project at the college we just used Outlook Web Access (easy opt out i know but what the hell :p)

Soldato
OP
Hmmmm, I'm confused now :(

I thought any mail being sent to the server would know to go there anyway because I've set it in outlook express settings- I've put the server's IP address as the SMTP server which I thought would suffice- I've never heard of MX records (But I've not really done much with DNS) :confused: Anyone care to explain?

Thanks

Ben

Soldato
Trigger said:
No it doesn't need to be .com or .co.uk at all- it's for internal mail only and will have no contact with external mail. I could give the extention .local, .dom or .internal if I needed to. The only problem I'm having is sending mail from outlook express- it send fine from the mailenable console :confused:

Ahh sorry didn't realise it was just for internal. Ignore my comments about MX records if that's the case. When you do a send/recieve, what error are you getting in OE?

Soldato
Looks like you've not set up trusted relay (or similar).

Sorry i've never actually set up Mailenable myself, but you possibly have to tell the server that all internal IP addresses (192.168.1.x) are allowed to relay. Most mail servers will lock this down by default.

Back
Top Bottom