Make the missus happy with £3k

Soldato
So, my gf's crappy old Ka keeps breaking down, has had parts of the suspension changed numerous times this year alone, its cost her around £600 over the last couple of months.

Now shes just out of uni and has started as a full time supply teachers so the pay really isny good until she completes hers teaching course.

Car will be paid for with a loan, and whatever she manages to get for hers? (Ford Ka '52' 70k miles)

I was thinking £3000 would be adequate to get a little, reliable runaround.

Scrappage scheme is out of the question :)

Any ideas? Small hatchbacks really.

Soldato
OP
The Fiesta is a reasonable example of a small hatchback that's cheap to buy/run/insure. The Mk5 is a better buy - and the 1.25 is the best engine out of the older shape for a cheap buy (STFA from the 1.3).

Thanks for that :)

Just out of curiosity, whats the Ford Puma based on? Any known problems? Would prbably have to be the 1.4i version because of insurance. Which brings me on to my next question, shes a month into her new insurance policy, is it just best to switch the car over and pay the extra? Or is there another way around it?

Soldato

Just out of curiosity, whats the Ford Puma based on? Any known problems? Would prbably have to be the 1.4i version because of insurance. Which brings me on to my next question, shes a month into her new insurance policy, is it just best to switch the car over and pay the extra? Or is there another way around it?

The Puma is fiesta based, and generally quite decent with the exception of their tendancy to rot their rear arches...

I bought my missus a 1.7i (and so should you, the insurance difference is circa £100-£150 a year), and you don't need to spend three grand to get a decent one...

Caporegime

I wouldn't touch the 1.4 with a big stick :)

Back
Top Bottom