1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making a projector screen

Discussion in 'Home Cinema & Hi-Fi' started by alexthecheese, 4 Aug 2006.

1. alexthecheese

Mobster

Hi, sorry if this sounds ludicrous, but is it possible to make a projector screen out of a bunch of neatly-taped-together pieces of A4?!

My dad has a projector downstairs but the screen that it projects on to is fastened firmly (no chance of moving :( ) onto the wall. Rather than go and buy one just for a weekend I was thinking of simply lining up some A4 paper, sticking it together from behind and then layering it up a couple of times so that you couldn't see through it.

Thoughts? Am I a loon for contemplating it? I'm not interested that much in the picture quality, only that it serves as a better projector screen than the orange hideous wallpaper that asphyxiates the walls of my room.

Thanks. :p

2. nO}{8

Wise Guy

a white sheet would be much better, with a long peice of wood at the bottom to keep it taught. (like a broom handle)

3. FNG

Hitman

For a quick DIY screen the most accepted approach in the DIY community is blackout cloth stretched acorss a wooden frame. Yuo can get it from paces like this http://www.dunelm-mill.com/. Make sure you get the white one http://www.dunelm-mill.com/DunElmSite/product/305.htm.

There are big forums all over the place about this, but the conclusion is nealry always the same. Another thing that is quite popular is paint mixes that perfrom a good job. However, these are nearly always American based paints and require spaying and for a weekend is proably a little too much :)

4. mcmad

PermaBanned

20 quid blackout blind from Ikea, I got one as a temp screen & still use it months later

5. Jez

Caporegime

I use a blackout blind too at the moment, no issues at all.

For a really quick fix i guess a sheet would do, i wouldnt use A4, you will have shiney bits all over it, or if taped from the other side you will have lines everywhere :p

6. tom_nieto

Capodecina

I'm using a 2m blackout blind from ikea. Very good for the cash and it's lasted for 2 years, although we probably need another one now.

7. cokecan

Sgarrista

lol im using 2 of the ikea blackout blinds, a 160cm one and a 120cm one (depending on which way i have my room)

they do work suprisingly well, though obviously nothing compared to a proper projector screen, does the job for very little cost

8. squiffy

Banned

Wooden box frame, screen cloth, screen goo.

9. Dimension

Hitman

We used a bed sheet and broom handle when we went camping, it worked a treat.

10. Jimbo Mahoney

Soldato

:eek:

Am I the only one thinking camping + projector screen = WTF?

:D

11. nikebee

Capodecina

same here LOL what the hell?? :eek: :p

12. wolvotim

Hitman

My mate just made a screen out of sheets of white laminated ply board (like the stuff you'd get on the back of an Ikea chest of draws). Looks superb and all for 10 quid.