1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

making header text look good tips

Discussion in 'HTML, Graphics & Programming' started by Apex, 11 May 2010.

1. Apex

Capodecina

i like the 'modern' large header text that really grabs your attention. problem i'm finding is i'm not so good at making it into an image so that it looks more professional, so i end up using boring text (that some reason is always so jaggedy on my screen) rather then a really nice image.

was wondering if people would be willing to offer some tips and advice as to how they make the large headers really stand out and look great?

2. Dj_Jestar

Caporegime

Code:
    h1 {
      font-family: tahoma, verdana;
      color: <anything other than black, depending on the rest of your site's colours>;
      size: 20pt;
    }
    :p

Don't use images. They can't be indexed/read by search engines and headers are high on the list of things to be read!

3. Tripnologist

Mobster

Your best bet is to find a site who's headers you like and then look at how they did it be it cufon, sifr, css background or just nice css styling.

4. simisker

Mobster

Just something as simple as negative letter-spacing can make a world of difference to text. Most - if not all - of the usual web culprits have too large a default letter-spacing for big display sizes.

Ems for proper browsers [for three-decimal-places levels of precision], and px for IE.

I have no idea how much letter-spacing control there is using Cufon, sIFR etc, but my guess is "not much".

5. Tripnologist

Mobster

Your guess would be incorrect.

6. simisker

Mobster

That's good to know :)

Cufon's obviously come on a bit since I last looked at it. Though it's still got that damned annoying word doubling when unstyled [does anyone actually see totally unstyled content any more?]

Last edited: 11 May 2010
  7. GravyMonster

Capodecina

It doesn't work in IE, but applying a smidge of CSS3 shadow text adds a touch of depth.

Code:
    text-shadow: 1px 1px 1px #222222;

Last edited: 11 May 2010
  8. UncleRuckus

Soldato

Also adding a background image to h1 can look good if you pull it off right.

9. Apex

Capodecina

ooo never seen this before and really liking it. many thanks