Making the Most Out of a Gym Workout

Soldato
Hello all,

I've started seeing a new girl and she goes to the gym 3 or 4 times a week, so I was thinking of going to join her maybe 2 or 3 times a week and 'use' her as motivation to keep going. I have other stuff like football training on other nights of the week and I still want to leave the weekend free to go out and have fun.

I know diet is important to acheive maximum benefits but what I want to know is that I've heard around various places that it's best not to mix cardio and weights work together in the same gym session. So if I went say Mon, Weds Fri (or Sun) and did a 'full' workout, say treadmill, cross-trainer, free weights + other weights would I see any benefits? Or would I be best of doing Mon + Fri cardio and Weds just weights after a bit of a warm up on a bike / treadmill. I'd like to do more cardio to get a better shape before doing bigger weights, hence the suggestion of cardio twice a week.

I have been to a gym before so I know roughly what to expect, but I've never been a member / regular gym go-er. I did start to go regular but only lasted 2 or so months as I got shin splints which were incredibly painful, especially on a treadmill. Any advice to prevent this happening again?

At a Virgin Active gym do they insist on an induction? If so, how long does this last for?

Back
Top Bottom