MAMP on Catalina

Soldato
I'm having trouble with MAMP on Catalina.

I have a very old version 3.5 installed, and randomly it can no longer connect to the Mysql database, the error I'm getting is:

Code:
Checking the MySQL databases failed.

Error message:

/Applications/MAMP/Library/bin/mysqlcheck: Got error: 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/Applications/MAMP/tmp/mysql/mysql.sock' (62) when trying to connect

An internet search throws up a few things such as deleting the log files and even the sock file itself. None of those have worked for me.

I can't install a new version until I get this version working.

Without this I don't have a webserver for development.

Soldato
Can you connect to MySQL via the normal command?

Code:
mysql -u root -p

I've seen this in MAMP many years ago when I used to use it where the symbolic link gets corrupt/removed.

I assume the service is started etc too, and do you have MySQL running on a none-standard port via MAMP?

Soldato
OP
I think I sorted it. Most of the information online is acting as if MySQL is installed on the Mac, but MAMP has MySQL bundled with it. It's not installed anywhere else on the system.

I had to manually start MySQL from the applications/mamp/library/bin/ folder. That then allowed me to update/upgrade it. Now it works automatically when opening/closing MAMP (which I've upgraded to v5.7).

Soldato
I think I sorted it. Most of the information online is acting as if MySQL is installed on the Mac, but MAMP has MySQL bundled with it. It's not installed anywhere else on the system.

I had to manually start MySQL from the applications/mamp/library/bin/ folder. That then allowed me to update/upgrade it. Now it works automatically when opening/closing MAMP (which I've upgraded to v5.7).

Great to hear, you're slightly wrong though in terms of MySQL not being installed on the Mac, it is installed, as you say in mamp/library/bin, that's how it allows you to create databases, it's just the installation is handled by the MAMP facade. If you were to run the command above you would be able to log in to MySQL via the terminal, or to login via PHPMyAdmin if you're not comfortable at the CLI.

Back
Top Bottom