Managed to buy a 3080, now I need the rest of it

Associate
I haven't had a proper PC for going on 6 years now (slowly moved over to just using a laptop). I've been looking for a GPU recently though as I now need a more powerful PC for work (specifically I need to record in-game footage at very high quality and at at least 30fps (ideally 60) consistently and the laptop can't handle it).

I've had no luck getting anything at a reasonable price but was hoping I was in with a chance of a 3080ti today. While refreshing various pages, I got a notification of some vanilla 3080 stock and somehow managed to grab one - perhaps the bots were distracted.

I hadn't really expected to get a card so I haven't planned out the rest of the system. By the look of things, a 5800x/5900x seems like a good place to start (for the games I work on, the CPU is likely to be the bottleneck). Other than this, I don't know what motherboard to put it on, what ram, cooling solution, case, PSU and storage I need.

I'd like to get 64gb of ram, as I do use up the 32 in my laptop (rendering stuff, using memory-hungry software, and too many tabs). I don't know how fast it should be or if I'd notice any differences with different speeds.

I need around 3-6tb of storage and that needs to be fast too for video editing and loading large projects quickly. I think ~3000MB/s speeds that you get on the PCIe 3 NVMe drives is enough and I could probably settle with half of it being on a SATA 500MB/s, but it might be nice to try out the really fast PCIe 4 drives at some point.

The upper limit on budget would be about £2500 (just tower, no GPU) but I don't want to waste money so if I can do it all for less than £2000, that'd be ideal.

Any tips / suggested builds / warnings would be appreciated

Man of Honour
4tb m2 drives are £500 such as corsair mp 400 so you need to work out how much storage you actually want . Mp 600 pcie4 m2 is another £75.

Would 2x 2tb drives be enough or 2 +4tb which will be aroung the £750 mark.

Heres a build without m2 drives until you decide which m2 drives you want.

Build

Motherboard with wifi 2 x m2 pcie4 slots with no impact on performance, case is good value plenty cooling ,cooler is very good and silent.

CODE My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,366.76 (includes shipping: £15.90)​

Associate
OP
Ace, thanks.

That Motherboard has covers for the M.2 bays and the Corsair MP 600 has a heat spreader stuck onto it - is it okay to leave the motherboard M.2 cover off? Otherwise I guess it won't fit.

The case is nice. Never had one with holes on the top for airflow.

Soldato
Associate
OP
Thanks, but the order's already arrived. Before the GPU, they must have flown it here.
I'll be using this system for 4-5 years so the extra PCIe4s can't hurt. I might want to fill them at some point.

0DcPK6x.jpg

Man of Honour
Thanks, but the order's already arrived. Before the GPU, they must have flown it here.
I'll be using this system for 4-5 years so the extra PCIe4s can't hurt. I might want to fill them at some point.

0DcPK6x.jpg
Cool post a pic or two when youve built it, what m2 drives did you get ?

Also you may have to update the bios on the motherboard for the 5900x to work, does it say 5000 series ready on ths box ?

Bios update Tutorial using bios flashback no need for a cpu

Soldato

They are quick I ordered something friday DPD said it would be delivered monday it arrived yesterday well pleased with that even if it did have to be left with a neighbour. It was a WD red NAS drive I couldn't justify the M2 drives on cost simply for storage.

Associate
OP
Cool post a pic or two when youve built it, what m2 drives did you get ?

Also you may have to update the bios on the motherboard for the 5900x to work, does it say 5000 series ready on ths box ?

Bios update Tutorial using bios flashback no need for a cpu

I got an MP 400 2TB, an MP 600 2TB and then decided to do the rest with a mechanical drive.
Thanks for the tip - the motherboard is not 5000 series ready but I've got my usb with the latest bios now.
The GPU arrived today and so I've got everything. Should build it tomorrow.

Associate
I haven't had a proper PC for going on 6 years now (slowly moved over to just using a laptop). I've been looking for a GPU recently though as I now need a more powerful PC for work (specifically I need to record in-game footage at very high quality and at at least 30fps (ideally 60) consistently and the laptop can't handle it).

I've had no luck getting anything at a reasonable price but was hoping I was in with a chance of a 3080ti today. While refreshing various pages, I got a notification of some vanilla 3080 stock and somehow managed to grab one - perhaps the bots were distracted.

I hadn't really expected to get a card so I haven't planned out the rest of the system. By the look of things, a 5800x/5900x seems like a good place to start (for the games I work on, the CPU is likely to be the bottleneck). Other than this, I don't know what motherboard to put it on, what ram, cooling solution, case, PSU and storage I need.

I'd like to get 64gb of ram, as I do use up the 32 in my laptop (rendering stuff, using memory-hungry software, and too many tabs). I don't know how fast it should be or if I'd notice any differences with different speeds.

I need around 3-6tb of storage and that needs to be fast too for video editing and loading large projects quickly. I think ~3000MB/s speeds that you get on the PCIe 3 NVMe drives is enough and I could probably settle with half of it being on a SATA 500MB/s, but it might be nice to try out the really fast PCIe 4 drives at some point.

The upper limit on budget would be about £2500 (just tower, no GPU) but I don't want to waste money so if I can do it all for less than £2000, that'd be ideal.

Any tips / suggested builds / warnings would be appreciated

Hi Jeff,

I think I'm in the same situation as yourself with regard to having an old PC (Purchased my current build in 2014) Trying to get hold of a GPU is an absolute nightmare. I'll keep trying :confused:

Anyways exciting times for you enjoy the whole process and good luck with your build.

Regards

Allan

Associate

Awesome - very envious - you have a much easier problem to solve than "no GPU"!!

I hadn't really expected to get a card so I haven't planned out the rest of the system.

#firstworldproblems ;)

I know you've bought it already, but that X570 + 5900X is perfectly matched to a RTX3080/workstation role, only suggestion would be to pick up mid-spec M.2 like the Western Digital SN550 for you video editing drive and then maybe something like a 8Tb+ spindle drive for the bulk storage?

Associate
4tb m2 drives are £500 such as corsair mp 400 so you need to work out how much storage you actually want . Mp 600 pcie4 m2 is another £75.

Would 2x 2tb drives be enough or 2 +4tb which will be aroung the £750 mark.

Heres a build without m2 drives until you decide which m2 drives you want.

Build

Motherboard with wifi 2 x m2 pcie4 slots with no impact on performance, case is good value plenty cooling ,cooler is very good and silent.

CODE My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,366.76 (includes shipping: £15.90)
good set-up

Associate
Did a video instead
Very well put together mate, didn't take long to get all of that ordered! Epic machine, will definitely do you for years to come, my 3930k I purchased at the end of 2011 lasted me until I decided to upgrade when Ryzen 5000 was released lol
How's the temps on the 5900x? I used a negative PBO offset of -30 to get my temps down on my 5800x, would randomly spike to 1.45v+. Max I've seen now is 1.35v and temps have been reduced a great bit!

Associate
OP
How's the temps on the 5900x? I used a negative PBO offset of -30 to get my temps down on my 5800x, would randomly spike to 1.45v+. Max I've seen now is 1.35v and temps have been reduced a great bit!

The temps seem okay, it idles at around 40-45 degrees, and the max I've had it is 82 degrees. The cores will often spike to 1.45v when idling and stay around there when under load - is this not normal? I'm not really sure what I'm looking at tbh.

The memory on my 3080 went over 100 degrees while using NVIDIA shadowplay to record some game footage which concerned me a bit. But I've got a 3 year warrantee apparently so if it melts, hopefully I'm ok.

Dont forget to set the ram speed speed to 3600mhz using xmp profile.

Yeah I did this, I should probably benchmark it with it on and off to see the difference. The machine feels really fast in general though, editing that video was so much easier than it would have been on my laptop - it can play those super fast-forwards in the timeline without hanging or having to pre-render.

BTW, this case has a switch on the front to control fan speed, there's low, medium, high and a 4th setting which I think should be controlled by the motherboard. The 4th setting is always the same as high, so I find myself manually adjusting the speed depending on what I'm doing. Any idea how to set this up so it's adaptive?

Back
Top Bottom