Married Couples : Finances Split or Combined?

Soldato
I earn £70k, wife earns nowt, lol. We have a single joint current account that all my wages go into and all of our spending comes out of. The way I see it, my wife earns my wages just as much as I do.

Soldato
Living together for a few years married for nearly one. Bills come out of my wages and food/baby stuff/day to day out of hers once she has paid her phone, Very account etc. We will be getting joint account soon and have ALL outgoings (bills/cards/account ect) coming out of that. Money is ours, not mine or hers, its ours. We have very little disposable income due to job changes last year but we live to our means (I think thats what it is called). Our money is easily manageable due to my spreadsheet budget I have made and used for the last 4 years.

Soldato
Pay going into our individual accounts, mortgage comes out of mine, she pays money into joint to cover the rest. We're very open when it comes to finances though, always had very good comms when it comes to this which is why we just kept the same arrangement as when we initially moved in together. She's named on the mortgage and can see it in her account to check the balance etc.

Associate
We both have separate bank accounts that our salaries go into and a joint account for bills.

We pay different amounts into the joint account that are calculated so that we each have roughly the same left after paying bills. That way if one wants to spend their money they can while the other can save if they want without feeling the other is spending their savings.

It works out that I pay just over double what my wife does but I feel that's fair as she has to put up with me ;)

We do this as well have a joint account and a personal account each. We each get left with X in our account to do what we please with. Everything else gets paid out the joint account. Works for us.

Associate
Joint account for income and bills. Separate credit cards so we both maintain a strong rating.

Investment property LTD company of which we are 50:50 shareholders. Separate Life assurance, pensions and stocks ISA's.

Marriage is a partnership, don't understand anyone who is married and wants separate money for their "own life" - marriage is "our life".

We don't save/invest for individual purpose - its about ensuring our family as a whole achieves high net worth.

Last edited:
Associate
Separate bank accounts that pay into a joint account and we pay the same percentage of our salaries into the joint account (37% at the moment) which covers mortgage, all bills, car and £350 for food basics a month.

Associate
Have individual bank accounts and then have a joint account for household bills, food, fuel etc.
You, as the wage earner "give" your wife so much a month to use for this purpose via a standing order with the bank and a £0 overdraft.
Hence this way she cant get overdrawn and she does not spend money like water!

Associate
You see, that just the kind of wrong attitude to have in a marriage.

We were both sticking in £1000 into the joint account, but the account was always empty and I wondered why. She also got the bank to stop sending statements by post, trying to cover her tracks.

Last edited:
Soldato
We do a joint pot but then take an equal amount out each. It is fairest but at times annoys me when I comfortably out earn my wife but have to live a little thrifty.

I find the "keep your own" approach strange but I think the blanket share that I do is in the minority.

Soldato
What's mine is hers; what's hers is hers!
NO - that's a joke. Been sharing all for 50+ years. Cannot see how anything else works in the long term.

Associate
Joint account which we put equal amounts in to cover bills.

Why would we put everything into one account? I spend my money on what I want and she does the same with her's, the result is zero problems.

Soldato
Why would we put everything into one account? I spend my money on what I want and she does the same with her's, the result is zero problems.

Why not? Zero problems everything in one account.

Never understood this separate account -"so I can spend my money and she can spend hers".......Me and my wife do the same, spend what we want from the joint account, never any issues in 15 years of marriage.

Soldato
Another all in one pot marriage here. I go out and work and she stays at home and looks after the little one and the home. Although she always asks me if she can buy x or y as she doesn't feel like its hers to spend even though i explain to her that i couldn't go out and work if it wasn't for her at home and she couldn't be at home without me going to work so its 50/50. However we also have a laser cutting business that we started up mid last year and she's started selling makeup. I think she does it because she likes the whole beauty but secretly i think its because she feels like she should earn 'her own' money as it were. :)

It would be a bit harsh to be this is my money and that's yours when she doesn't actually earn anything huge! :o:p

Caporegime
Joint account which we put equal amounts in to cover bills.

What would you do if she stops working to have kids?

Back
Top Bottom