massdrop sennheiser HD6XX $199

Man of Honour
Never really noticed much difference in terms of detail, etc. between them the main difference really is the treble presentation - from my experience the older 600s have a more raw sound versus the smoother sound of the 650s but its not as pronounced with my 2013 ish 600s.

For me its comes down to the 600s just sounding right for me over a broad range of different music types and I have a fairly wide taste in music while to my ears the 650s excel at some music types but aren't as to my tastes as the 600s with others (if I was less lazy I'd probably swap between them depending on what I was listening to but with my newer 600s just not enough difference to bother with that).

The main difference with them really IMO is about how you enjoy the music not which one is the better headphone.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah the actual detail, micro detail is about the same the difference to me are just refinements and the 650 having a smoother upper mid range and more impact which isn't a big deal as it sounds they are close.. just depends on the listener.

Both are great headphones! I'd take the HD600 over the Audeze range and the Mrspeakers range and pretty much anything else that isn't a Nighthawk or HD800.

Man of Honour
Wish I had a few pairs of different ages of both to compare - I wonder if the ~2013 600s are anomalous as people's description of the 600s before and more recently are a bit different and my older pair are knackered and potentially not a great representation :S

Associate
I've heard many people years ago describe the HD600 as a lush and warm headphone when I bought one it sounded kind of like the AKG K601/k612 without the roughness at 2k and more fleshed out vocals but never warm and lush.

I reckon it's the ear pads that just take ages to soften up sometimes. I had an older 650 a while back that had very worn pads and it sounded thick and bassy compared to a newer pair.

Man of Honour
The earpads do make a surprising difference - I can tell a difference just between having my glasses on and off even with the very slight disturbance that has on the pads.

Soldato
unfortunately it sounds like people were spamming the F5 key with multiple transactions trying to go through, essentially DDoS'ing the site/payment system.

you'll never prevent that.

Soldato
unfortunately it sounds like people were spamming the F5 key with multiple transactions trying to go through, essentially DDoS'ing the site/payment system.

you'll never prevent that.

Take registry first, take payments at a later date.

Use dynamic resource management at their server backbone.

A lot of things can be done in preparation to this, they had the heads up. They knew all these marketing & hype will lead to this.

Yet they did nothing.

Soldato
Take registry first, take payments at a later date.

Use dynamic resource management at their server backbone.

A lot of things can be done in preparation to this, they had the heads up. They knew all these marketing & hype will lead to this.

Yet they did nothing.

oh come on, even the likes of apple have had server overload issues before. they're never going to throw money at load balancing for a freak peak in traffic.

Soldato
oh come on, even the likes of apple have had server overload issues before. they're never going to throw money at load balancing for a freak peak in traffic.

Yeah but Apple is not a community found business whereas MD is.

Without the community helping MD through its hard time it would have been shut down years ago.

It's just a shame that they didn't do anything to protect their community in this drop.

Not saying they could have done a lot to eliminate the problem, but literally leaving it as is makes me cringe.

Soldato
As mentioned in the HD650 thread, a friend of mine want to give up his spot in the HD6XX drop.

If someone wants to take the spot let me know, if not I'll let him release the spot for next in line in MD.

Back
Top Bottom