Matched betting - who's done it and who's good at it? (No Referrals)

Caporegime
I agree with all of this. On the Oddsmonkey forum it irritates me when people talk about a huge win on the back of a free bet or a small stake. Unless that bet was laid off IMO its not match betting its gambling. MBing is about ZERO risk.

all of it is gambling, so long as it is +EV then it is all good. Laying off costs you money, some people are less risk averse than others - I wouldn't conflate someone trying some silly martingale system with someone making use of a free bet without laying

Soldato
Well you use a back/lay calculator (arbcruncher's is the best) to calculate it like you would a normal matched betting qualifier.

So you lay 4.0 for £20 (liability £60)
Then back at 7.0 for £11.43 (profit £68.58)

£68.58-£60.00 = £8.58 profit

Thanks for posting.

So you're pretty screwed if it stays nil nil in a game then basically, or maybe if the outsider scores as the draw odds might drop not rise.

Potential for £8 profit or a £60 loss means that you'll need to hit 6 in 7 roughly to break even on it, which I can see is doable but not without risk. Probably not for me given the work involved.

Soldato
Hi All,

For those doing MB, I'm yet to do any bets on horses and I've seen all the Cheltenham links etc. on facebook. I don't have masses of cash flow, but of course I'm interested to take part if possible.

Is it just the same as football? Betting one site, laying on the exchange?

Thanks.

PS. I asked similar questions on the Facebook group :)

Associate
I’ve been doing this via yesbets for the past few weeks now and have been averaging around £10 per day from the free offers which has been nice.

I’m a bit confused however after reading some of these posts. Is it possible to continue making money via laying/betting even without the aid of the free bets? I feel like I’ve got a huge amount of booky accounts these days and I’m working my way towards the ones less known. I only matchbet on football.

Like many of you guys I only plan on spending 1hr per day on this as a nice side earner however told myself when it becomes too much work to make money on id rather my free time.
Thanks!

I forgot to say, the facebook group is great however and although they say this isnt gambling some of the peoples reactions certainly dont come accross that way to a win/loss..

Associate
Hi All,

For those doing MB, I'm yet to do any bets on horses and I've seen all the Cheltenham links etc. on facebook. I don't have masses of cash flow, but of course I'm interested to take part if possible.

Thanks.

PS. I asked similar questions on the Facebook group :)

It is the same, yes, just the odds are liable to move a lot quicker. Particularly from about 15 minutes from the off, the odds can fly all over the place so you need to be quick.

I’ve been doing this via yesbets for the past few weeks now and have been averaging around £10 per day from the free offers which has been nice.

I’m a bit confused however after reading some of these posts. Is it possible to continue making money via laying/betting even without the aid of the free bets? I feel like I’ve got a huge amount of booky accounts these days and I’m working my way towards the ones less known. I only matchbet on football.

Like many of you guys I only plan on spending 1hr per day on this as a nice side earner however told myself when it becomes too much work to make money on id rather my free time.
Thanks!

I forgot to say, the facebook group is great however and although they say this isnt gambling some of the peoples reactions certainly dont come accross that way to a win/loss..

Once you work through the sign up offers, you move on to reloads. These entail placing a qualifying bet (taking a 'qualifying loss' of <~£1), hoping for a certain outcome (i.e. horse winning by >5 lengths) and then receiving a free bet which covers the qualifying loss and gives you profit on top.

Soldato
Thanks for posting.

So you're pretty screwed if it stays nil nil in a game then basically, or maybe if the outsider scores as the draw odds might drop not rise.

Potential for £8 profit or a £60 loss means that you'll need to hit 6 in 7 roughly to break even on it, which I can see is doable but not without risk. Probably not for me given the work involved.

Correctn to an extent- you can obviously trade out of a loosing bet earlier and limit your liabilities that way.

Sometimes if a game gets an early goal for the favourite inside say 20 mins, I'll let it go and if they score a second then obviously it's more than £8 you win usually

AZ Alkmaar for instance last night - never been in a 0-0 all season, average over 3 goals in a game usually between both sides, highest percentage of games with both teams scoring in their league.

So on the surface of it, should have been at least one goal - but these things happen.

Soldato
The best advice I can give, is don't try to emulate others. Ignore everyone. Become a robot. Stick to the plan and make yourself whatever amount of profit you can. Yes, there are those who make thousands, but they sit there all day everyday. Most people work full time and can only spend 30mins a day doing it. If you only make £50 a week, it's still £50 a week.

Completely agree!

Soldato
It is the same, yes, just the odds are liable to move a lot quicker. Particularly from about 15 minutes from the off, the odds can fly all over the place so you need to be quick.

Thanks - are you able to enlighten me how I make the most of these High 5 offers etc? They seem to be very popular, but I'm not entirely sure on what and how I should be betting.

Thanks

Soldato
Probably the best advice I could give is take your time and don't rush things. check, check and check again.

I Made the odd mistake in the past that nearly cost me, one was one of the sign up offers that required a promo code entering to get the free bets (I missed the code).

Another was placing a bet, was checking the odds matched exactly, realised they didn't closed the bookie, found another checked still no match, closed bookie , found another and did match so placed the bet. BUT forgot to clear the betting slip of the previous 2 that I just closed out of :( luckily only £10 lost.

Associate
Thanks - are you able to enlighten me how I make the most of these High 5 offers etc? They seem to be very popular, but I'm not entirely sure on what and how I should be betting.

Thanks
Essentially I just update the High 5 reload page regularly and jump on any close matched (<£1). The closest matches will be in the minutes before the off, but they are fleeting so you have to be quick.

You need the first place horse to win by 5 lengths or more, hence it makes sense that you want to back strong (low odds) horses in small fields (number of runners) and preferably on a long course (to give time for a horse to build a lead).

Once you've done it for a few days, you'll start to get the knack of it. But at its simplest form, back the favourite or second favourite with the smallest qualifying loss possible.

Soldato
shocking stuff - lays on and betfair is broken!!! saturday afternoon and everything is suspended.

3 of my 4 games are in profit !!! can't trade out - disgraceful!

Soldato
total disgrace betfair - all 4 games would be in profit now and I can't trade out of any of them........utterly awful on a saturday afternoon the biggest exchange is broken

Soldato
Hi all

New to this - first ever matched bet and looking for some advice please as I'm a bit concerned on the below!!

So I did what I needed to get the free £20 from Coral, and despite the fact the game I bet on being on Monday 6th, I already got the free £20 so went ahead with my free bet for the Tottenham v Everton game tomorrow.

I backed Everton to win £20 @ 6.0 on Coral. My calculator said I need to lay that with an AGAINST Everton £15.20 lay stake (6.6 lay odds) so I placed that on smarkets website.

The issue is I've now spotted that it only matched at "Bet fully matched - Sell Everton" £9.19 backers stake, despite me placing it at £15.20

Help please!! Have I made a mistake or is this normal?

Thanks in advance!!

EDIT: More info... For my initial bet to get the £20 free one it was also using Coral/smarkets and for Antalyaspor vs. Galatasaray on Monday 6th. That one on smarkets was placed and then fully matched at what I placed it at.

Whereas this Everton one was placed, partially matched at £6 then 'fully matched' at backers stake of £9.19 - despite me placing at £15.20

I hope I'm just reading into this / understanding it wrong and it is all as expected! Hope someone can confirm :)

Images below show the bet I'm referring to with the 'compress rows' option off, and then with it on - with it on, the result I see is what I expect (my bet matching at the full amount I placed it for) - which fills me with a bit more hope that it is all correct ha

qOnSrhZ.png

nOdZ4sR.png

Last edited:
Soldato
It looks fine.

Partial matched usually means there wasn't enough money in the market to cover you bet when you made it. You can either let it go, in which case you hope the remaining amount gets filled later on, or fill it as a higher odds. You left it "unmatched" and it appears to have been matched later in the day.

Caused by 2 things - one is smarkets, whilst cheaper than betfair, doesn't have the same "liquidity" in it (i.e less people using it), 2nd - because the match is more than 48 hours away etc - normally it can take time for markets to have the money in them.

Double check you account and you should see "NO" unmatched bets, and £15.20 matched which appears to be shown in the bottom image.

Soldato
Hi All, dumb question time. Im looking to try my hand at the horses today, starting with the large amount of fallers Insurance on offer.

It looks like back and lay as normal, then hope it falls to get the free bet back - is that correct?

Thanks

Soldato
It looks fine.

Partial matched usually means there wasn't enough money in the market to cover you bet when you made it. You can either let it go, in which case you hope the remaining amount gets filled later on, or fill it as a higher odds. You left it "unmatched" and it appears to have been matched later in the day.

Caused by 2 things - one is smarkets, whilst cheaper than betfair, doesn't have the same "liquidity" in it (i.e less people using it), 2nd - because the match is more than 48 hours away etc - normally it can take time for markets to have the money in them.

Double check you account and you should see "NO" unmatched bets, and £15.20 matched which appears to be shown in the bottom image.
Thank you very much for that. Sorry for the late response, I only just saw it as I'm currently working nights.

The game is finished now and I won the expected £14.89 so all seems well as you say.

I assume based on your message then that you would not really recommend smarkets for that reason? I did wonder why it was always betfair being mentioned in videos despite smarkets having a smaller commission.

With regards to what you said about resolving the situation... Is there a calculator to show what to do (specific figures) in the situation I was in? How do you avoid over correcting if I placed another bet at higher odds and then the first one also ends up getting fully matched?

Or have I misunderstood? Apologies if it is a simple question... I've never bet before this in my life haha

Soldato
I first did matched betting a long time ago, about 6 years. I've seen moved house multiple times and have a new bank account, do you think I'm safe to do it all again? With a different email of course

Soldato
Hi All,

It is largely the same, but you need to understand Rule 4 - this determines what happens when a horse is withdrawn before a race (the odds of your existing bet can be adjusted). A Google search will bring up some good explanations.

Also, as mentioned, odds can change quickly in horse racing - especially in the minutes before a race. So if you are matched betting then you should lay off quickly.

Soldato
Hi All, dumb question time. Im looking to try my hand at the horses today, starting with the large amount of fallers Insurance on offer.

It looks like back and lay as normal, then hope it falls to get the free bet back - is that correct?

It is correct - but hard to make money from faller insurance. Horses don't fall that often (outside of races like the Grand National) - most races won't have any fallers, let alone the specific horse you need to fall.

Free-bet-if-2nd offers are much more lucrative. A horse comes 2nd in every race, and it's easier to predict which horse will come 2nd than which horse will fall.

Back
Top Bottom