Mate wants an "interesting" car for £4,500ish

Soldato
JollyGreen said:
hmm, the Fiat Coupe seems a bit pricey on the old insurance alas, seems to only come in 2 litre versions.

I must have been getting confused with something else, I think they are only 2 litre but come in 16v and 20v versions, and turbo and NA.

Soldato
at £1500 insurance maximum with 0 NCD he is essentailly going to be taken focibly up the rear by each and every insurance company out there. TBH I'd be surprised if he can get anything at those numbers for the insurance.

If he want's somehting interesting then he's got to go for something really unusual so that they won't be a 'high risk' according to the insurance companies. This meant that anything with GTi, GT, Sport or turbo in the model can be thrown out as well as the usual mac donald's car park suspects (nova, corsa, fiesta, clio et al ). He needs to find some car that isn't associated with being crashed by in experienced young male drivers.

HT

Man of Honour
Dolph said:
Civic VTi or you might be able to squeeze an Integra Type R into the budget, but be careful at this price.

Nissan 200SX would be a nice choice as well.

Might be able to find an FTO in budget too, but insurance is likely to be steep.

Might be able to find an early clio 172 too.

All would be much better choices than the MG ZR IMO.

It's his first car and he has no NCB, do you seriously think the above are sensible choices?

Man of Honour
[TW]Fox said:
It's his first car and he has no NCB, do you seriously think the above are sensible choices?

Neither bits of information had been posted when I posted my list.... They were posted as I was writing it.

They are interesting choices for £4.5k, but not given the additional information.

Soldato
happytechie said:
insured for £1500 with ZERO ncd ?

good luck with that

HT

Maybe. I just got a quote with NUD for £2k (my postcode). That was assuming he'd only just passed his test, and didn't include PP. He might be able to get it for £1500 or maybe a bit over if he looked around.
In fact, I'd only just turned 22 when I got my 307 which is the same IG(9) as the focus. That cost me just over a grand with NUD, 20k declared miles and cummuting. So Anything upto IG11 or IG12 should be possible with some hunting round insurance companies.

Soldato
2.0 focus, insured with admiral with his mum as a named driver, I would put a few quid on getting around 1500. I love my 1.6 which costs me £620 at 20. but will be haveing something faster next year.

Man of Honour
Dolph said:
Neither bits of information had been posted when I posted my list.... They were posted as I was writing it..

It was in the opening post in the first sentance.

Anyway I'd like to recommend a Ferrari 355 Spider, it's about as good as all the other recommendations in this thread so far :p

Seriously he needs either find a pot of gold and buy something properly interesting or come back down to earth with a crash, he's got 4 grand and it's his first car, it isn't going to be rare and exotic.

Soldato
1998-00-mondeo%20st200.jpg

Trust me this is the "most bestest" car for anyone, no matter what type of car you want :p

Soldato
Bizarrely cheap car and oddly cheap insurance considering the potential power.

I forget the exact figure but my mundano 1.816v insurance came under £1500. :)

Edit: Is Tom Hanks driving that Mondeo?

Last edited:
Soldato
How old is he ?? I wouldn't exactly call it interesting but if he had a look at a Nissan Almera 1.4 Si. Quite a sporty looking car and plenty of grunt, would be quite a nice first car, cheap to insure and tax.

Lets face it though it's his first car, and everybody's first car takes a few knocks so you don't really want to be spending lots of money on your first motor.

Caporegime
eer.. id totally get an almera GTI 2.0 over a cheppy 1.4.

RWD doesnt need to be feared, merely respected for what it is and the fact u cant hoon around like u can with a FWD with little experience...

but yea almera gti, easily affordable, and insurable. 140bhp so pretty quick (0-60 in 8.5~) not breathetaking but enough for a starter!

Soldato
I'm going to backup the Mx5 suggestion.

You could get a nice Mk1 for that money, and have it in time for the summer weather.

Yes they are a bit of a hairdressers car, but quite a few people on here have one. Plus get it in the right colour and they can look quite sporty.

Cheap insurance as they aren't exactly fast, but feel it due to being so close to the road.

I was looking to get one myself, but went with a slightly more sensible focus 1.6 til I get some NCB.

Back
Top Bottom