1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mates ex

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Siliconslave, 27 Feb 2006.

1. Vanilla

Sgarrista

I agree with the 'ask first' mob.

Very important you do, only two things ruin friendship in my experience, money and girls. Tread carefully around both.

2. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Just do it.

3. rG-tom

Sgarrista

here's a theoretical question:

you've been mates with / known the girl a lot longer, but have become a closer friend with the guy....is the girl fair game if he split with her? I know he wouldn't be bothered by it, or at least not enough to stop me, but sometimes it still a bit iffy.

Tom.

4. semi-pro waster

Man of Honour

I think calling it a 'bit sick' is a little strong, there are two consenting adults involved here. It isn't as if there is something particularly dubious being suggested.

That said I'd agree that the best solution is to ask the mate if he has any objections because it can lead to an awkward situation. Logic doesn't always(or even often) enter into relationships, while it may seem perfectly reasonable to go out with a mate's ex it might not appear so to them.

5. DJammyRasta

Mobster

are your friend and his ex still friends ? if they can get along then it be ok to ask your mate what he thinks... if he cant stand to be with her then that would be a no

saying that your already speaking to her and if your friend knows this and still likes you then you might be in with a chance.... one of my former friends when being my mates back and started dating his ex ... we dont speak to either of them any more (the friend or the ex)

6. Old Turkey

Gangster

You should inform him of the facts so that he doesn't remain ignorant, but in no way should you ever, ever feel inclined to seek permission or approval from anybody, in my view. I would not want to be friends or acquainted with someone who feels they have a form of territorial veto over a woman, simply because he happened to see her at one point or another in time.

7. The_TailGunner

Wise Guy

he has a new gf- he has given up any prior claim to his ex.

TG

8. roboffer

Sgarrista

I think most people in here are missing the point.

Pics?

9. paradigm

Caporegime

If a mate got with my ex (even if i had "moved on") i'd be very upset! 1) I wouldn't want her dragging back into my life, and 2) She dumped me and I still want her.

10. VIRII

PermaBanned

There shouldn't be a problem but the factors include what terms he is on with her now and how he personally sees these things.

If he is of the view that she is a nice girl but they are history then I don't see a problem.
    If he is of the view that he hates her then it might be an issue.

11. Hedge

Capodecina

depends how you size up to him in the showers. she might be lookin at your pecker and thinkin of his

12. richyfingers

Wise Guy

Dont go there, mates ex's are out of bounds in my opinion plus why would you want sloppy seconds from your mate. eughhh!

13. The_TailGunner

Wise Guy

if you already have another gf, then you really have no grounds for complaint though...and if you still want your ex, you should perhaps re-evaluate your current relationship?

(thats a you in general, not you yourself)

TG

14. Spud21

Mobster

Have to agree with the Gillster. If one of my mates got with my ex without at least saying something to me first i'd be seriously narked, not because they are with my ex but becuase they didn't have the descency to say something to me first. I would never say no to a mate about it even if i wasn't over her but i'd ask that they kept it well out of my face for a bit.

15. Siliconslave

Man of Honour

Cheers guys, the mate in question isn't one of my closer ones, but more someone in one of my friendship groups, only really got to know him more recently.

I think i'll give it a while and see if anything comes of it then txt / ring him and just keep him upto date, giving him a chance to express any concerns and take them on board :)

16. Bracco

Hitman

Women aren't "property". Anyone who has a problem with their friend and ex being happy together, really isn't a friend. Saying it has to do with respect makes it sound like the "friend" is still thinking she is his.

17. Gilly

Man of Honour

Who said women were property? Wasn't me.

If one of my mates went out with my ex fiancee I wouldn't speak to them again. Ever.

18. Otacon

Capodecina

I wouldn't do it - ever. Though I'm heavily biased in that opinion, having been bitten before.

Trying to speak with more reason however: You do need to speak to the guy first. If they were together for a long time, and there are still some raw feelings there, then out of respect for your mate I wouldn't risk hurting the guy.

If they were together for 2 weeks, messed around and then just let it die... then he probably wont be bothered.

19. Borris

Caporegime

Make sure that you ask when you are both standing at a urinal.

That way, he will be so shocked by your disregard for one taboo, he won't mind you disregarding the other.

20. cjeasom

Gangster

find out exactly why they split up, he might save you alot of hassle in the long run if you find out a bit about her first, i.e. not how you know her as a close friend but what she is like as a girlfriend, there is a big difference!!!!!

/personally i wouldnt touch it, it will never be the same with your mate again!!!! even if he gives you his blessing!