Mates ex

Soldato
Bracco said:
So you can honestly tell me that if you split with piggy and a year later there were no feelings, you still wouldn't want her to be happy with a friend of yours, because that would mean neither of them had "respect" for you? Or would you be grown up enough to realise that if you are a true friend then all you want is for him to be happy?
But that's different - the feelings are gone, and presumably Des would have given his blessing to that effect. I dont believe anyone has said that this would be disrespectful on the mates part.

Hitman
Permabanned
Otacon said:
It's nothing to do with any relationship with the ex - it's to do with the relationship between you and your mate. For them to pursue something/someone knowing it would be an emotional blow to you would be quite a betrayal, in my eyes.

[edit]That isn't worded great, but I hope you can get my drift

Not really. Why would it be "emotional betrayal"?
Just to add, by the way. I have been in a relationship where the person I was with had been friends with my ex (although only through me). If my ex had tried to stop us being together, he would have lost his friend for trying to control his life. As it was, my ex joked around a bit at first, but then realised that I was a lot happier with the new person. If my ex had throw a little childish fit and stopped us being togther, the result would have been both myself and the friend being miserable and nothing more.

Hitman
Permabanned
Otacon said:
But that's different - the feelings are gone, and presumably Des would have given his blessing to that effect. I dont believe anyone has said that this would be disrespectful on the mates part.

How so? You say an ex is an ex, and they are out of bounds?

Soldato
Bracco said:
So you can honestly tell me that if you split with piggy and a year later there were no feelings, you still wouldn't want her to be happy with a friend of yours
As Daz has already said, if there were no feelings then I don't think it would be a problem. But if the feelings were still there on my part then I'd have problems. Can you say that it wouldn't bother you if your mate went out with a girl thet he knew you had feelings for?

Man of Honour
Bracco, you've completely missed an important point.

I'd guess that the vast majority of the time the friend would either give consent or have a very good reason not to. We're aren't saying that exes are automatically out of bounds for friends. Just have the respect for your friend to speak to them about it first.

Not too hard is it?

Hitman
Permabanned
Gilly said:
Bracco, you've completely missed an important point.

I'd guess that the vast majority of the time the friend would either give consent or have a very good reason not to. We're aren't saying that exes are automatically out of bounds for friends. Just have the respect for your friend to speak to them about it first.

Not too hard is it?

Why does the ex have to give consent at all? Can you honestly say you would be happy knowing that your ex had the final say in who you do and don't date?

Man of Honour
Bracco said:
Why does the ex have to give consent at all? Can you honestly say you would be happy knowing that your ex had the final say in who you do and don't date?
The ex?

I said the friend.

If my exes best mate fancied me and asked my ex about it and she wasn't keen on us seeing each other I wouldn't have a slight problem with it.

Soldato
Bracco said:
It's back to the respect thing. If I was pursuing a friend of an ex, and she turned me down out of respect for her friend (my ex), then that's perfectly legitimate in my eyes. I couldn't argue it.

Hitman
Permabanned
Gilly said:
The ex?

I said the friend.

If my exes best mate fancied me and asked my ex about it and she wasn't keen on us seeing each other I wouldn't have a slight problem with it.

By ex I mean the ex of the person you're interested in.

Soldato
Bracco said:
By ex I mean the ex of the person you're interested in.
In this scenario, that would make them you're friend, correct?. If you're talking about someone out of the equation (and not in this scenario) then they have no grounds to stop the person you're interested in starting a new relationship, and nobody here would disagree. If that person is a 'friend' of yours, you have to consider their feelings - being a friend.

Associate
I am currently going out with a mates Ex, We been together nearly 2 years now, and me and my mate still get on just as well as we did before i got together with my gf. I did however ask him, not for permission, but for his thoughts, and i then acted based upon them. It turns out for me, he was fine with it. But Its best to be honest and not keep secrets vetween friends. It will only end badly IMHO.

Associate
The idea of going out with a mates ex really repulses me. You'd be going where they'd been!! :eek: Hell, why not cut out the middle man (or woman in this case :)) and just sleep with you're mate - gross.

I'd walk, or rather run, from this nasty situation you're getting yourself into!!

But if she's really really fit, bang her first

Back
Top Bottom