1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mates wants new car - £5-6,000

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Desmo, 23 May 2006.

1. Desmo

Soldato

OK, my mate wants to replace his Saxo VTS with something newer. Despite the car, he's not the boy racer type :p
    He's had the car for quite a few years now, owning it before all the little boyo's started tarting them up :o

Anyway, he wants something maybe a touch bigger and at least as quick.
    I was thinking along the lines of A3, Focus, Leon, Golf etc. But are there any other cars that pop into your head?

He's not the type to dart around everywhere so mega quick cars aren't necessary, as long as they've gopt a little bit of poke. Spec isn't too much of an issue either as long as it has the regular leccy windows, central locking, alarm, CD, etc.

2. rG-tom

Sgarrista

leon cupra R ? beautiful cars that really do stand out despite being "normal", well specced, comfortable and will be a nice upgrade from a VTS :)

Tom.

3. Scottland

Capodecina

Not for 6 grand, but he could get an earlier Cupra (non R).

Doesn't look as good, as it doesn't have the kit on I dont think. Also "only" 180bhp or thereabouts.

Other options might be a Focus ST170, Octavia vRS, Clio 172, ST200 off the top of my head.

4. rG-tom

Sgarrista

ah sorry, i missed the price range, i scanned the post twice, but forgot to look in the title, so assumed by him giving the leon / golf etc range that was the kinda price range.

Tom.

5. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Therefore he doesn't need a performance car, so the extra purchase cost, running costs and insurance costs associated with buying and running one just isn't neccesary.

Something like a Focus 1.8/2.0 Zetec/Ghia will do the job just fine, anything more is overkill. Obviously I'd have an ST200 or a 528i Sport and I'm sure many people would have the 172 but this guy appears to have lower sights so why spend the extra and suffer the compromises which performance car ownership gives if he isnt the type who cares for the benefits?

[edit: Just noticed he wants something 'as quick as his VTS'. In my books thats 'quick' to be honest, oh well]

Last edited: 23 May 2006
  6. paradigm

Caporegime

Agreed, a 20vt Leon or Toledo (doesn't need to be a cupra) would be a great buy. Fast enough in standard form, but tunable with ease should he want more power :)

7. cymatty

Capodecina

He wants something as quick as his vts so 7 secs to 60 and 22 secs to a ton, a 2ltr focus usnt that quick. :)

8. Scottland

Capodecina

I was just judging it by "he wants something at least as quick". I wouldn't really say that a Focus 2.0 is any quicker than a Saxo VTS.

With the exception of the ST200, all my suggestions were quicker than a VTS but not massively so. And ST24 would be a better choice, power wise - but I wouldn't want to spend 6k on one :)

I agree that he should at least drive a 2.0 Focus (or similar) to see if that offers him he poke he wants.

9. Desmo

Soldato

Would have been better if I'd put it in the thread as well though. Sorry :o

Well yeah, they're not exactly slow. I don't think it needs to be as quick, but at least in the same ball park. He's not going to notice the odd second to 60 slower. Just doesn't want anything too sluggish.

Tuning, even something as simple as a chip, wouldn't really be his thing. He'll buy it, drive it and that's it. Won't be interested in alloys, brakes, turbo's or whatever :)

I think that's what he'll do. Take out a 2L Focus and just see how it compares. It might not be as quick as the Saxo but as long as it's not too slow I don't think he'll mind too much.

Cheers guys :)

10. HEADRAT

Capodecina

You could get a really nice Fiat Coupe for £6K, insurance is a killer though!

HEADRAT

11. N43SP33D

Hitman

i think you can pick up Integra Type Rs for around that price, there "bigger and quicker"

12. HEADRAT

Capodecina

Nice, I'd choose a Type R over a Ford any day of the week.

HEADRAT

13. Scottland

Capodecina

Neither would be newer than his VTS though (Fiat Coupe, DC2), which seems to be a requirement :p

14. HEADRAT

Capodecina

I've scanned the thread can't see anything about age (could be me being blind), I've always likes the Leon (Cupra) as well.

HEADRAT

15. GT3

Sgarrista

It could be a '97 VTS ;)

16. Pug

Soldato

As has been said before (numerous times :p ) the little VTS' are quick, nimble little cars.

When i swapped my VTR out for something quicker, i had to go significantly more powerful to do it - 200BHP, revvy kinda territory - tho that doesnt apply to your friend.

A mate has a BMW 318 compact (noot my choice of car i have to say...), and tbh it seems to pull quite well - not as fast as a Saxo VTS, but pleasingly revvy enough, and decent drive - have no idea what 6k would grab you tho.

17. siztenboots

Wise Guy

I am sure if he got a test drive in a VX220 2.2 NA, then he might agree some compromises for :D permanently. Maybe even a MX5

18. olv

Soldato

even wearing rose tinted specs you arn't going to find a VX for £6k! I wish!

19. HEADRAT

Capodecina

If you wear a balaclava and carry a shotgun you might ;)

HEADRAT

20. andyfield

Wise Guy

S14A 200sx. Else the Fiat, if they want Italian relability.....