Mattresses - I need knowledge

Soldato
Had mine well over a year (super king) and love it, yes it is a pain to turn over/round being ~100Kg but that is the only negative. I've got the medium version, and it seems just right but I am not that heavy, Mrs loves it as she had major issues with her back with the last mattress, but this one helps her sleep like a baby every night.
Your mattress is 100kg? Crikey

Soldato
mustn't have slept well.
This post did not get the recognition it deserved. :D

Any advise for 2 fatties needing a mattress, We have tried quite a few mattresses at this point and they all seem to have us waking up with backache.

Tried a couple of John Ryan Mattresses in the past and , ended up sending them back for a refund as they didn't help with backache at all, were also very firm. (I know one was 1500 pocket springs not sure about the other)
We have a 50mm memory foam topper at the minute and it has helped with my backache but my partner says hers isn't really any better plus it doesn't stay in place and always ends up slipping down the bed creating a gap near the head board that the pillows fall down making the sleep position even worse and back problems worse, I was at a point where 4-5 hours in bed I would wake up kind of OK, but the longer I lay in bed the worse my back got, anything around 8 hours or more was pretty painful.

We are planning to move house in next few months and will be upgrading to a super King, money will be fairly tight so I don't want to get the next one wrong as we won't be able to keep spending over £1000 guessing which mattress to get.

Benson for beds have you lie on a bed which they can adjust the firmness of and measure pressure, and bought a mattress on this recommendation but it ended up being too soft and we had to get rid and go and buy another
Currently have an iGel Pegasus Steel, bought in April 2019 and it cost us £835 inc delivery for a double.

Soldato
Is there much to know about bed frames? The mrs has her heart set on one of those cheap velvety looking ones that are all over facebook and ebay but I can't help thinking they are going to have the strength of butter.

Can't find ANY specs of the weight of the mattress were looking at except 1 review claiming its about 100kg. No idea if that was him being facetious or that's what they actually weigh? I know they aren't light.

Would a heavier mattress rule out the ottoman lifting beds? Not a necessity but the storage would be nice. Not interested if its a case of flimsy gas struts and losing lift strength etc.

Otherwise will just wait for a used oak one to pop up somewhere.

Associate
Such a minefield mattresses.

Were looking to upgrade to a superking and relegate our king to the spare room.

Is it even possible to just buy a mattress without trying it? Currently got a spring/memory foam mattress and I'm a hot sleeper so im sweating bad on it. Even with a cooling topper on. Though it is incredibly comfy.

Is pocket sprung definitely the way to go? Originally started out wanting to spend a few hundred quid, but quickly realising the budget probably needs to be 1k+ to be anything decent?

I like the look and sound of this but I've never heard of latex mattresses? How are you getting on with it?

Latex any better for staying cool?

It's great! I've had it almost two months now, and have always slept well on it. This is after struggling with fibromyalgia like symptoms for the last 6 months trying to find a mattress (entire body being in pain after sleeping every night). Tried JR Artisans Medium, found it too firm and found the tufting uncomfortable. Tried Emma Medium and it was too soft and felt like sleeping on wet sand. The latex opulence in medium has been just right for me.

Definitely wasn't sure about it at first. It "feels" softer than a spring mattress so I thought it was too soft, but lying down it's really supportive at the same time. It's hard to describe. Anyways, I can recommend it. LatexSense was also really good, answered all my qs, and provided me the Oeko Tex certificates for everything when I asked. They have a showroom in North London you can try out their mattresses when it reopens.

Caporegime
Is there much to know about bed frames? The mrs has her heart set on one of those cheap velvety looking ones that are all over facebook and ebay but I can't help thinking they are going to have the strength of butter.

Can't find ANY specs of the weight of the mattress were looking at except 1 review claiming its about 100kg. No idea if that was him being facetious or that's what they actually weigh? I know they aren't light.

Would a heavier mattress rule out the ottoman lifting beds? Not a necessity but the storage would be nice. Not interested if its a case of flimsy gas struts and losing lift strength etc.

Otherwise will just wait for a used oak one to pop up somewhere.

Go for a divan if you can. I bought a sleepeezee one with 4 drawers for plenty of storage.

The ottoman is now I the spare bedroom. It isn't really suitable for really heavy mattresses even with a sleepeezee mattress on the ottoman it just about holds it up any slight amount of pressure and it comes crashing down and has enough force and weight behind it to do serious damage.

So I'd recommend that you look at sleepeezee divans

Associate
I've yet to find a divan that looks nice but I'm leaning more towards a high foot end style as I've had a bed frame with an exposed mattress all around for years.
I have a budget of £600 ideally and I'm moving more towards an oak bed frame and I'll put some wooden board down on the slats.

I like this but a bit put off by a few reviews saying the sides are veneer and it's not held together with decent screws. I could add better screws once it arrives but I don't like the idea of having to reinforce a brand new bed.
https://www.mattressman.co.uk/woode...k-high-foot-end-bed-king-size-wooden-bed.aspx

I've looked for similar fully oak models but to no avail. the only one I've found is this one I really liked but now looking at it a few weeks I'm not sure if it will be over the top, and is over my ideal budget
https://www.aaabeds.co.uk/wooden-be...lM5_BqUli4lu1TfO-f7BHJgLEl2aTAF4aAhnaEALw_wcB

I think for my price range I'm just outside a fully solid oak bed frame.

I've also looked at used ones but not quite sure I would want a bed that has scratches and dents in it

Soldato
Superking Sleepeezee mayfair 3200 arrived yesterday. Thing is disgustingly heavy.

Cheap wooden bed frame came up locally on Facebook so went with that in the end.
Thanks for all advice
Will report back in a few days!

Soldato
Recently I’ve had a few problems with IKEA mattresses (HOVAG), so I’m going to give up with this and get something different.

Personally I think the bed in the box style mattresses aren’t worth the money and are of poor quality. From my experience delivering mattresses in a box or rolled up end up being disappointing and I suspect these methods, particularly for pocket sprung do not work. This is my opinion having tried a few now but I’m sure others have been lucky and might think differently.

With that rant over I’ve had a look back through the comments in this thread and it seems to be John Ryan/Sleepeezee that are the go to. Are there any key differences in these? I’m thinking quality, warranty, customer service etc.

I will be looking for another pocket sprung/hybrid style mattress, king size and really I want this under £1K (given I’m used to budget IKEA mattresses).

Cheers

Associate
I've just spent the last month looking at all the mattresses in a box. This thread has been the most helpful and made me come to the conclusion that a mattress in a box will be designed around convenience rather than 100% performance.

Think I'm going to settle on the Superking Sleepeezee mayfair 3200, reasonable price point and not boxed(I think)

Associate
I have a Dormeo S plus, Octapring topper and an extra few inches of memory foam toppers from Amazon and my body still aches from trying to sleep on it (neck, shoulders. spine, leg and foot cramps etc).

All that stuff was later confirmed by a physiotherapist to be good, but my body is just too broken for it to work.

Associate
Wish I bought the JR Artisan Naturals a month or so ago when I was considering it. Been having problems with buying a house which almost fell through. Was just about to push the button on buying one and noticed a king has gone up £100 and is now £1450!

Would I really feel 1.5k worth of comfort going from a £400, 4-year-old mattress to this? I was stretching before at £1360 but another £100 on top of an already tightly stretched budget is testing my wallet, but I feel committed now as I had in mind to just buy it as soon as I had a green light with the house.

I'm tempted to ring them up tomorrow and ask if they will do the old price for me. It says at the top of their site to" buy before the price increase on the 16th" so not sure why they're increasing twice? Anyone had any luck with haggling with them?

Soldato
I mean, the simple answer is yes, well worth it. We have 3 JR mattresses, 2 from when they were called Factory Beds Direct (doubles) and one since the rebrand (king). Would absolutely buy again. They should last a good 10-15 years so £100 a year for something you use for 8 hours every day... go figure.

Just checked and we bought the first 2 in 2012 :eek:.

Associate
I've also been wondering if I would get any much more improvement going from my £400 Dormeo S Plus to a higher up one, but then I would have no idea what to do with the current one, selling a king size mattress on ebay isnt going to happen.

With the extra octaspring topper and memory foam layer, it should be the equivalent to mattresses that cost over £1000 and have 10cm extra thickness.

Back
Top Bottom