Mattresses - I need knowledge

Associate
So I just got off the phone and queried their price increase. They said they had one but another is happening on the 16th. I said about their being any chance of a price match to the previous as I spoke about it a month or so ago but had problems with a house and wasn't sure what was happening yet and they did the £1360 for a king artisan naturals

Soldato
Thanks to this thread, I'm in the process of getting one of the JR Mattresses. I'm going for an Artisan Naturals Superking zip link. I actually spoke to them twice today; the first chap I spoke to mentioned there was a price increase - at the time, we were talking about a firmer feel Artisan 1500 - I'm just waiting for my 0% card to arrive, so he offered to hold the price.

I called back later on and spoke to a lady about the Naturals. She didn't mention the price increase, but when I asked about it, she said that the Naturals had increased last weekend, and wouldn't be going up this time, whereas the 1500 would (hence why the chap mentioned it to me).

I can't say 100% but if anyone is buying, they do seem willing to honour previous prices for a short while at least.

I actually came to the thread to ask about their bases. I am leaning to get one from them, and my partner really likes the look of the Chesterton. I just wanted to check if anyone had anything bad to say about their bases? There is a lot more feedback available on the mattresses.
Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
Wooden ones like the bed I got look a lot nicer, but aren't as comfortable. Took over 30cm of bedding on mine to not feel the slats / firmness.

20cm & 7cm dormeo mattress and topper, plus 4inch memory foam.

I found that the Dormeo Octaspring topper actually worked better under the mattress as it gave it more mobility, then added plain memory foam on top more as a protection layer to reduce wear and tear.

What I think I've found with the bedding I tried is that all this fancy foam springs stuff isn't as supportive as a real spring base. A hybrid mattress with real springs and foam on top would still be much better.

Soldato
I just got this as a bed. I wanted a wooden one but this caught my eye when browsing in store as it looks decent for the price. It is solid slat and I was considering buying a sprung slat frame to go on top but I guess if I place a board on it would only be like a normal divan

https://www.dreams.co.uk/detroit-upholstered-sleigh-bed-frame/p/251-00298

Thank you, so is it perhaps not as important to spend as much on the frame?
I'm thinking to try a wool duvet and pillows, as I always sleep fairly warm. I think it may all take a while to get used to, but I'm hoping the investment pays off over time.

Associate
Thank you, so is it perhaps not as important to spend as much on the frame?
I'm thinking to try a wool duvet and pillows, as I always sleep fairly warm. I think it may all take a while to get used to, but I'm hoping the investment pays off over time.

Not sure. I'd imagine a sprung base would help. Interesting whats @BallistixOnZ490 says about using a mattress topper. I have a duck and down one that feels so soft like im laying on a cloud but I just melt with it I might use that underneith the mattress

I've considered going all out with new bedding. I did have a down duvet from the duvetandpillowco(now soak and sleep) I left at my exs as I forgot how much they cost. I'll be investing in a new duvet for sure but also considering a more luxury mattess protector too. Don't think I can justify Egyptian cotton sheets and pillow cases unless I get a low thread count

Soldato
I actually came to the thread to ask about their bases. I am leaning to get one from them, and my partner really likes the look of the Chesterton. I just wanted to check if anyone had anything bad to say about their bases? There is a lot more feedback available on the mattresses.
Thanks

I've got two of their bases, including one for an Artisan Natural SuperKing, and to be honest it is great, not the cheapest, but good quality and had it in a colour we wanted and we went for the 4-drawer divan type, which is great as superking bedding takes up loads of space!

Associate
Not sure. I'd imagine a sprung base would help. Interesting whats @BallistixOnZ490 says about using a mattress topper. I have a duck and down one that feels so soft like im laying on a cloud but I just melt with it I might use that underneith the mattress

I've considered going all out with new bedding. I did have a down duvet from the duvetandpillowco(now soak and sleep) I left at my exs as I forgot how much they cost. I'll be investing in a new duvet for sure but also considering a more luxury mattess protector too. Don't think I can justify Egyptian cotton sheets and pillow cases unless I get a low thread count

I tried the octaspring topper on top and below the mattress, I prefered it underneath. My wood bed was too firm with just the 20cm mattress on its own. Didnt actually need the extra foam on top, its just there to protect the mattress.

Its basically all gone far too soft now and I'm sinking in without any support and triggering my spine pain, I should have gotten a hybrid one with proper springs on the bottom, all the foam stuff eventually softens up too much.

Associate
I tried the octaspring topper on top and below the mattress, I prefered it underneath. My wood bed was too firm with just the 20cm mattress on its own. Didnt actually need the extra foam on top, its just there to protect the mattress.

Its basically all gone far too soft now and I'm sinking in without any support and triggering my spine pain, I should have gotten a hybrid one with proper springs on the bottom, all the foam stuff eventually softens up too much.

Are you using one of those foam mattresses? I've just paid the best part of 1400 for a mattress lol I'd expect it to be at least decent quality with a flat base but they did say on the phone putting a board over slats wouldn't be as good as just sprung slats; my circumstances changed when I changed bed so now I'm no longer even sprung slats lol

They're a pretty penny those octasprings like. £250 for a king. I like the idea but I'd be more pushed towards metal springs as they'd last longer as you say

This is what I was looking at. Perhaps theres a market for this type of thing but proper pocketsprung instead of slatted - I've yet to fond one
https://www.beliani.co.uk/super-kin...uTdIwrfjf3PxWhtsKH9NAPE9dvuBtcrRoCCEEQAvD_BwE

Associate
My Hammonds bed came with such slats included, its basically aeshthetic over comfort getting a wooden frame.

Looks great but needs a lot of stuff on top:

PqLXegZ.jpg

The 20cm Octaspring mattress was still extremely firm and uncomfortable on top of that, at the time I bought it I found a king size S Plus for £405, and the topper was £225.

Getting a dual layer octaspring mattress instead was over £1000, so that seemed like a good deal.

The 30cm triple layer octaspring things are stupidly priced, it seemed better to get a single layer one plus a topper, but it seems they soften a lot after a few years of use.

They do have a really long warranty on them, but I don't think that covers the mattress softening as that would be normal wear and tear.

I've used it firm side up since I got it, the soft side felt like instant back crack, too much sinkage:

EMVBAe0.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
My Hammonds bed came with such slats included, its basically aeshthetic over comfort getting a wooden frame.

Looks great but needs a lot of stuff on top:

PqLXegZ.jpg

The 20cm Octaspring mattress was still extremely firm and uncomfortable on top of that, at the time I bought it I found a king size S Plus for £405, and the topper was £225.

Getting a dual layer octaspring mattress instead was over £1000, so that seemed like a good deal.

The 30cm triple layer octaspring things are stupidly priced, it seemed better to get a single layer one plus a topper, but it seems they soften a lot after a few years of use.

They do have a really long warranty on them, but I don't think that covers the mattress softening as that would be normal wear and tear.

I've used it firm side up since I got it, the soft side felt like instant back crack, too much sinkage:

EMVBAe0.jpg

I would say wear and tear. Some of the big players I've read argue dips are normal wear and tear. I've never came across octaspring before but I agree all foam will loose its life a lot quicker than a metal would

Associate
I've been keeping an eye on the prices of the octaspring mattresses, and basically since I got my S plus king size for £405, they haven't been that low since. The 20cm S plus and 17cm Octasmart ones are £499 for king size when on offer, and they charge a whole £100 more for the ones with 2cm more memory foam (Littens king size 4 inch topper instead is £80, or £38 for 2 inch, just put one of those on top like I have).

The hybrid one with a real spring layer is £800, then £1000+ for double octaspring layer, or £1500+ for a triple layer, I wouldn't pay that much for any of those, the issue is that Dormeo still hold the patent on memory foam springs, like when Tempur was initially the only brand for memory foam.

Im not sure if you can get metal spring toppers, if so putting one of those under the 17-20cm ones = £800 hybrid for much less.

I also just realized the other half of the mattress is still firm and supportive, I think they soften with prolonged use but might then firm up again after a while, so I'll just have to swap sides. I cant see these foam springs remaining supportive for much more than 2-3 years for a single mattress or for two people on a larger one.

Associate
I've been keeping an eye on the prices of the octaspring mattresses, and basically since I got my S plus king size for £405, they haven't been that low since. The 20cm S plus and 17cm Octasmart ones are £499 for king size when on offer, and they charge a whole £100 more for the ones with 2cm more memory foam (Littens king size 4 inch topper instead is £80, or £38 for 2 inch, just put one of those on top like I have).

The hybrid one with a real spring layer is £800, then £1000+ for double octaspring layer, or £1500+ for a triple layer, I wouldn't pay that much for any of those, the issue is that Dormeo still hold the patent on memory foam springs, like when Tempur was initially the only brand for memory foam.

Im not sure if you can get metal spring toppers, if so putting one of those under the 17-20cm ones = £800 hybrid for much less.

I also just realized the other half of the mattress is still firm and supportive, I think they soften with prolonged use but might then firm up again after a while, so I'll just have to swap sides. I cant see these foam springs remaining supportive for much more than 2-3 years for a single mattress or for two people on a larger one.

It will go rebound back to its former shape but it's a case of how quicky it does it, as well as how supportive it is when laid on since if it has no rebound it has no support

Soldato
Unfortunately I'm still looking for a mattress and after reading some Sleepeezee recommendations in this thread I am currently thinking about this in a King size:

https://www.mattressonline.co.uk/Product/Sleepeezee-Jessica-1800-Pocket-Gel-Mattress-P1928

Seems a reasonable price, good guarantee, good reviews and scores quite well on Which reviews. Has anyone had any experience with this one?

I believe it's a rebadged 'Sleepeezee Beautyrest Boutique Lexington' with a slightly different fabric cover.

Associate
So nvm about my earlier issue, thats just memory foam in general.

After 2 days on the other side its now also softened and sunk in. The issue is that they don't reset within a single day. So I have to swap sides every couple of days.

Its just become more noticeable maybe because of all the gardening work Ive been doing taking its toll on my hypermobility spine. None of the physiotherapy or more advanced exercises from yourube vids are doing anything for it.

The only real issue with the foam spring mattresses from Dormeo is that they still cost too much for what you get, and I should have gotten the hybrid one with proper springs at the bottom.

I actually got my littens topper for half price - I had ordered a 2 inch eggshell one but they sent me a plain normal one, complained but asked to keep it with some recompense and they refunded me half.

I wouldn't have considered trying to make any warranty claim for this, but checked the terms anyway for what the exemption says - 'Partial increase in mattress softness is not considered as an error but as a consequence of normal use. Therefore such softness increases are not covered within the warranty statement'.

Foam only mattresses are not a suitable long term option if you need any amount of firmness for support, you need a hybrid one for that.

Last edited:
Associate
Another thing I remembered that's worth noting as well is that regardless of the total warranty term, the mattress cover is typically only covered for 1 year.

The cover on my Octaspring topper had already started to lint even under a single sheet, hence the initial thought I had to put it under the mattress and then buy a much cheaper littens topper.

Something I haven't actually tried is both toppers on top of the mattress - Littens > Octaspring topper > Mattress. Going to give that a try now and see if I prefer it.

Soldato
Are John Ryan / sleepeasy the main contendors in the £1k to £2k space?

Im looking for either a king size or most probably prefer a superking.

Im 16 stone and mrs 10 stone, and currently both ok with our semi firm 1200 pocket sprung £300 mattress from matressman (its a deep mattress). What would be the best latex offerings?

I don't want memory foam due to heat.

Does anyone also have frame recommendations that allow you to stuff some bags (clothes/bedding) under the frame etc also welcome.

Permabanned
well had our new mattress for 2 weeks now and was a little worried for the first few days .. as it was a bit stiff .. but after it's eased up it's great ..
last one went **** up as it could only be turned and not flipped just got to 5 yrs with it ..
this one has an 8 yr warranty so it should last ok .. :)
Slumberland Vantage Pocket 2200 Mattress - Bensons for Beds

Soldato
Wow there is some utter horse **** marketing on the Bensons website.

"Hardly a day goes by without the serious issue of climate change and plastic waste hitting our headlines. With this in mind, the innovative truecomfort filling layer has been developed to not only help the environment but to offer amazing comfort performance. Truecomfort filling layers are used in all Slumberland Solutions mattresses and are made from sustainable sources which are safe and non-toxic."

The mattress has 100% man made fibres, plastic fibres, super environmentally friendly Bensons, they are so confident they aren't even telling you what is inside the mattresses, they just use made up random names equivalent to Apple with their Retina Display. :rolleyes:

Permabanned
Wow there is some utter horse **** marketing on the Bensons website.

"Hardly a day goes by without the serious issue of climate change and plastic waste hitting our headlines. With this in mind, the innovative truecomfort filling layer has been developed to not only help the environment but to offer amazing comfort performance. Truecomfort filling layers are used in all Slumberland Solutions mattresses and are made from sustainable sources which are safe and non-toxic."

The mattress has 100% man made fibres, plastic fibres, super environmentally friendly Bensons, they are so confident they aren't even telling you what is inside the mattresses, they just use made up random names equivalent to Apple with their Retina Display. :rolleyes:
don't care whats in it .. as long as it's comfy .. and it is .. and always have the choice of sending it back on the 40 Night Guarantee all marketing is stretched truth .. :)

Back
Top Bottom