Mattresses - I need knowledge

Associate
Are John Ryan / sleepeasy the main contendors in the £1k to £2k space?

Im looking for either a king size or most probably prefer a superking.

Im 16 stone and mrs 10 stone, and currently both ok with our semi firm 1200 pocket sprung £300 mattress from matressman (its a deep mattress). What would be the best latex offerings?

I don't want memory foam due to heat.

Does anyone also have frame recommendations that allow you to stuff some bags (clothes/bedding) under the frame etc also welcome.

If concerned about heat you can look for a coolgel mattress or a topper rather than limiting options.

Soldato
If concerned about heat you can look for a coolgel mattress or a topper rather than limiting options.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Im not too fussed on limiting options (even if it causes a price increase). I am not keen to pay for a big new mattress in memory foam even if if it saves me a little. I've had bad experience of memory foam toppers previously.

I like my mattresses quite firm. I've heard they size the based on bodyweight? I'm about 16 to 17 stone (max! I should go down) and mrs 10ish or less but were fine on the current bed. I don't think we really need the "split mattress" offerings I've seen?

Last edited:
Associate
Very valuable thread.

In the process of getting my first house so I actually get to pick a mattress for the first time in my life :cry:

Looking at Superkings and it appears that I would need to spend around £1000 to get something half good.

What are people's opinion on mattresses being turnable? A lot of these mattress seem to have a "Pillow Top" which sound luxurious, but it can't be removed and therefore the mattress isn't turnable. I tend to go through a pillow every 2-3 years so a non removable pillow top sounds like an awful idea!
I also looked at some "hybrid" mattresses which again aren't turnable due to the design.

Associate
Thanks for your suggestions.

Im not too fussed on limiting options (even if it causes a price increase). I am not keen to pay for a big new mattress in memory foam even if if it saves me a little. I've had bad experience of memory foam toppers previously.

I like my mattresses quite firm. I've heard they size the based on bodyweight? I'm about 16 to 17 stone (max! I should go down) and mrs 10ish or less but were fine on the current bed. I don't think we really need the "split mattress" offerings I've seen?

Well yes I definitely advise steering clear of memory foam or octasprings if you need firmness.

I'm finding my bedding has improved a lot and is a lot more supportive after rotating the layers, but thats only likely to last until the octaspring topper in the middle also softens up after a day or two.

It looks like I'll need to constantly rotate / flip all my foam layers to be able to sleep pain free unless I spend over a grand on something else - and then theres also the problem with getting rid of all the current stuff.

The mattress I have is meant to have a soft and firm side, its more like soft and a little less soft as the firm side also sinks after regular use.

Permabanned
Very valuable thread.

In the process of getting my first house so I actually get to pick a mattress for the first time in my life :cry:

Looking at Superkings and it appears that I would need to spend around £1000 to get something half good.

What are people's opinion on mattresses being turnable? A lot of these mattress seem to have a "Pillow Top" which sound luxurious, but it can't be removed and therefore the mattress isn't turnable. I tend to go through a pillow every 2-3 years so a non removable pillow top sounds like an awful idea!
I also looked at some "hybrid" mattresses which again aren't turnable due to the design.

you want something that will turn and flip .. for the last yr my old pillow top was bad ..but rona made it impossible to try something new and purchase ..
for a super king plus base your looking at 2k for something to last 5-10 yrs ..
we did try out a 2k mattress and it was omg comfy ..but not willing to shell out that on just a mattress something like 3k springs and so soft ..lol
got ours in a sale should have been £7-800 paid £580 :)

Associate
Turning / flipping my mattress and toppers and changing sides does resolve the issues, but only for a while. I'll need to so as such once a week maybe.

£400-500 king size foam mattress softens up a lot after 2-3 years of use.

Reviews are also misleading because they are mostly written while the mattresses are still new.

You don't get anyone reviewing these mattress after 3-5 years of use.

Something else I noticed when reading about the 20 year warranty on mine, its a 100% refund within the first 5 years, dropping to just 1% in the 20th year, this is probably the case with most such mattress in a box brands.

Last edited:
Associate
Think I'm going to start referring to foam bedding as being 'sickly soft', like the term sickly sweet. I don't think it matters much if your body is in perfect health, but the softer they get the more they exacerbate my joint problems.

Soldato
I'm moving into a new place fairly shortly. I think it's a bit hit and miss whether my bedroom will fit a super king, so I'm going to start off by using a spare king base that my parents have. I'm going to buy a cheap mattress to go on top of it, then in 6 months will decide whether to move to a super king, or buy a nicer king mattress.

What's the "least bad" cheap mattress brand? Ideally looking for under £300 for a king. Don't worry mattress lovers, I'll be spending a lot more than that when i upgrade!

Associate
Well for around £300, the dormeo basic memory foam ones tend to be the best rated.

You get 14-20cm depth of ecocell topped with memory foam, and then a bit more for better covers like silver threaded or aloe vera.

However I think theres also Amzon Basics mattresses now which should be more or less the same.

You're basically looking at just a solid slab of foam at around £300 for a king size. All the fancy stuff starts at £500+.

Associate
Anyone tried bamboo bedding?

Literally been looking most of today to understand and compare Egyptian cotton duvets, sheets and pillow cases. Was originally intent on going with Soak&Sleep but it seems from reviews their quality isn't that great on bedding so opted for the default The White Company.

Having thought about some bamboo socks I have which are really comfy, I decided to look into bamboo, which seems to have all the quality of a high thread count Egyptian cotton but with better cooling properties.

I've found these to be the most reputable company for bamboo products; they have lots of good reviews, awards, as well as a 30 day trial and 1 year guarantee.

https://mypandalife.com/product/earth-collection/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panda-Bamboo-Duvet-Cover-Double/dp/B07SDDSP55?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

Associate
I don't know why you'ld ever spend that much on a cover, the £10 brand on amazon I can't remember the name of makes flawless linens, will look for it now.

Name of cheap and perfect comfort linens brand - Sonia Moer.

I have one of their £10 bedsheets and just got a £25 400 thread one just because the £10 ones don't have as many colours ... The £10 is actually softer and more comfortable.

Associate
I don't know why you'ld ever spend that much on a cover, the £10 brand on amazon I can't remember the name of makes flawless linens, will look for it now.

Name of cheap and perfect comfort linens brand - Sonia Moer.

I have one of their £10 bedsheets and just got a £25 400 thread one just because the £10 ones don't have as many colours ... The £10 is actually softer and more comfortable.

I think there's a reason people buy expensive bedding.

Personally I don't own any, but I've slept in some decent hotels where the bedding feels noticeably better than my cheap polyester setup. It will also last a lot longer too if taken care of, from all I've read.

I've learnt from buying outdoor gear that it's better to buy something of higher quality which feels, performs and lasts longer, than to buy something 2-5 times over the same life period assuming you are getting a better deal cause the price per item is cheaper.

Associate
I think there's a reason people buy expensive bedding.

Personally I don't own any, but I've slept in some decent hotels where the bedding feels noticeably better than my cheap polyester setup. It will also last a lot longer too if taken care of, from all I've read.

I've learnt from buying outdoor gear that it's better to buy something of higher quality which feels, performs and lasts longer, than to buy something 2-5 times over the same life period assuming you are getting a better deal cause the price per item is cheaper.

Well the only thing I see generally when it comes to the linens is the thread count.

The issue I would have is if I spent £100 on a bedsheet, I doubt it would be 10x better than my £10 one, which has already lasted several years and shows no sign of wear and tear, just needed a proper soak in Oxy clean and its good as new after washing.

You can surely try out the £100+ ones, but I don't think very many would or have, they aren't going to make that much difference.

Associate
Well the only thing I see generally when it comes to the linens is the thread count.

The issue I would have is if I spent £100 on a bedsheet, I doubt it would be 10x better than my £10 one, which has already lasted several years and shows no sign of wear and tear, just needed a proper soak in Oxy clean and its good as new after washing.

You can surely try out the £100+ ones, but I don't think very many would or have, they aren't going to make that much difference.

Thread count is just one thing and often quite misleading. There's a significant difference between the feel and performance of polyester, cotton and Egyptian cotton that I know first hand just from T-shirts.

You sleep on your bed 1/3 of your life so why sleep on something that costs less than what a takeaway would cost?

Associate
Thread count is just one thing and often quite misleading. There's a significant difference between the feel and performance of polyester, cotton and Egyptian cotton that I know first hand just from T-shirts.

You sleep on your bed 1/3 of your life so why sleep on something that costs less than what a takeaway would cost?

Because as I said, those £10 sheets are perfectly comfortable and definitely feel many times their value. I am not missing out on anything, my bed is comfortable enough at least in terms of the fabrics, and also I remember the reason for the 'cheap' covers is to protect what is under them.

And on that point, nothing is more comfortable in terms of the feel than sleeping directly on the 'climalite silver threaded' cover of my £500 mattress, but if you do that its going to wear out fast.

I spent a long time looking for the same material and stitching used in toppers and can't find it, the evercomfy climalite silver mattress protector does not have the same cushioned threading. I tried E mailing dormeo to suggest releasing a topper made with the exact same surface as whats on their mattresses but they wont. The expensive toppers that they do make also have vastly inferior covers to their mattresses.

From my experience everything you put on top of a high end mattress will simply be worse that sleeping directly on it, the only purpose of doing so is to protect it.

Associate
Because as I said, those £10 sheets are perfectly comfortable and definitely feel many times their value. I am not missing out on anything, my bed is comfortable enough at least in terms of the fabrics, and also I remember the reason for the 'cheap' covers is to protect what is under them.

And on that point, nothing is more comfortable in terms of the feel than sleeping directly on the 'climalite silver threaded' cover of my £500 mattress, but if you do that its going to wear out fast.

I spent a long time looking for the same material and stitching used in toppers and can't find it, the evercomfy climalite silver mattress protector does not have the same cushioned threading. I tried E mailing dormeo to suggest releasing a topper made with the exact same surface as whats on their mattresses but they wont. The expensive toppers that they do make also have vastly inferior covers to their mattresses.

From my experience everything you put on top of a high end mattress will simply be worse that sleeping directly on it, the only purpose of doing so is to protect it.

I would disagree. I've just bought a mattress that consists of a lot of natural materials. You make a point of saying that anything you put on top of a mattress will be worse, but I can put natural fabrics on top of my mattress which would not hinder the quality of the mattress but equal it. My mattress protector will be 100% cotton, as will my sheets either Egyptian cotton or bamboo.

What's the point in buying a decent quality mattress then putting something of lower grade on top? That's not trying to be a snob but it just doesn't make sense. I may well have just got a cheaper mattress that consisted of polyester materials.

Associate
I would disagree. I've just bought a mattress that consists of a lot of natural materials. You make a point of saying that anything you put on top of a mattress will be worse, but I can put natural fabrics on top of my mattress which would not hinder the quality of the mattress but equal it. My mattress protector will be 100% cotton, as will my sheets either Egyptian cotton or bamboo.

What's the point in buying a decent quality mattress then putting something of lower grade on top? That's not trying to be a snob but it just doesn't make sense. I may well have just got a cheaper mattress that consisted of polyester materials.

No I agree with what you said. I simply couldn't find anything in the same quality as my mattress cover to use as a topper, so I simply put on basic stuff instead.

No one makes sheets or duvet covers out of this stuff:

https://www.dormeo.co.uk/cdn-cgi/im...iwyg/Features-jpegs/Climalite-Siver-Cover.jpg

It would pretty much obsolete everything else if they did.

Soldato
Unfortunately I'm still looking for a mattress and after reading some Sleepeezee recommendations in this thread I am currently thinking about this in a King size:

https://www.mattressonline.co.uk/Product/Sleepeezee-Jessica-1800-Pocket-Gel-Mattress-P1928

Seems a reasonable price, good guarantee, good reviews and scores quite well on Which reviews. Has anyone had any experience with this one?

I believe it's a rebadged 'Sleepeezee Beautyrest Boutique Lexington' with a slightly different fabric cover.

Just to let others know I got in contact with John Ryan yesterday to ask if they will honor any previous prices but the response was negative. Think I am going to stick with the Sleepeezee one now.

Soldato
I already know the answer I suspect but moving house so time to upgrade from the awful Ikea HAFLSO that is 6 years old now. Can pick up a King refurbed simba pro for £299.25 currently, are they really as bad as this thread makes out? Was initially looking at John Ryan mattresses but £300 seems like it is worth the risk

Associate
I had confirmation my artisan naturals is ready last week but I've not moved in my house yet so delayed it until the end of the month. I'm now wondering if to buy a mattress topper?

I've researched all the different types, including 100% latex and bamboo. I bought a down one from duvetandpillowco with my last mattress that was really soft but which I just melted laying on so gave it away. I don't think down is very good under you but better as a duvet over.

I've been looking at wool and more specifically, I've found one that gets good reviews and looks like it might be quite good; my only concern is the ridges I believe are designed to aid ventilation, I'm not sure if I'll feel as that I think would bother me

https://www.devonduvets.com/wool-mattress-topper-king

Will the naturals be good enough on its own?

Will this be better, or potentially worse?

Is there any other recommendations for wool toppers?

Also pillows. I currently own a tempur queen pillow and tempur cloud pillow. I'm looking at getting something new as I don't really get on with either.
Does anyone have wool pillows and how do they rate?

Back
Top Bottom