Mattresses - I need knowledge

bJN

bJN

Soldato
I swear Ballistix must be related to Psycho Sunny. A 1980s Land Rover Defender will get you from A to B just as a 2020 Rolls Royce would; but you can guarantee one will be a more enjoyable and comfortable journey :p

As we're nearing completion of the new house I've started looking at beds again. Wife has settled on buying a Loaf base so just a mattress to go. Last time I looked I think I was sold on a JR Artisan Naturals, but looking at the price just makes me balk a little - I know they offer their no-quibble money back if we don't get on with it though which is reassuring.

Soldato
Unfortunately I'm still looking for a mattress and after reading some Sleepeezee recommendations in this thread I am currently thinking about this in a King size:

https://www.mattressonline.co.uk/Product/Sleepeezee-Jessica-1800-Pocket-Gel-Mattress-P1928

Seems a reasonable price, good guarantee, good reviews and scores quite well on Which reviews. Has anyone had any experience with this one?

I believe it's a rebadged 'Sleepeezee Beautyrest Boutique Lexington' with a slightly different fabric cover.

I have bitten the bullet and just ordered this to arrive tomorrow.

Fed up of looking now and I'm not paying JR prices after they told me that's the price you pay now.

Associate
I had confirmation my artisan naturals is ready last week but I've not moved in my house yet so delayed it until the end of the month. I'm now wondering if to buy a mattress topper?

I've researched all the different types, including 100% latex and bamboo. I bought a down one from duvetandpillowco with my last mattress that was really soft but which I just melted laying on so gave it away. I don't think down is very good under you but better as a duvet over.

I've been looking at wool and more specifically, I've found one that gets good reviews and looks like it might be quite good; my only concern is the ridges I believe are designed to aid ventilation, I'm not sure if I'll feel as that I think would bother me

https://www.devonduvets.com/wool-mattress-topper-king

Will the naturals be good enough on its own?

Will this be better, or potentially worse?

Is there any other recommendations for wool toppers?

Also pillows. I currently own a tempur queen pillow and tempur cloud pillow. I'm looking at getting something new as I don't really get on with either.
Does anyone have wool pillows and how do they rate?

I have this topper with an artisan naturals super king, it’s great. It will compress to your body shape and doesn’t spring back, but it is very comfortable and doesn’t cause you to overheat.

Associate
I have this topper with an artisan naturals super king, it’s great. It will compress to your body shape and doesn’t spring back, but it is very comfortable and doesn’t cause you to overheat.

Haha that's great I've found someone with the perfect match.
Does it improve the comfort of bed then I take it or just prolong the already comfortable experience? I've already spent a small fortune on my bed, mattress and bedding I feel like another £170 on top of what I've spent isn't much if it's the icing on the cake to a good nights sleep

Associate
as per the title we bought a new matress last year, but already there are compressed hollows where we sleep. We do rotate the matress often but is this usual or not?

The matress is pocket sprung with a layer of latex, its still comfy but a little annoying
Cheap £99 no name mattresses do this, you know the ones with the two colour floral print usually blue and pink. You want something like silent night

Associate
Waterbed, have you ever jumped in bed in the freezing and curled up into the fetal position to get warm? You don’t need to do that with a waterbed it’s a nice 20 degrees thanks to the heater

can’t get to sleep in the summer? Turn the heater down and watercool yourself to sleep.

Associate
Haha that's great I've found someone with the perfect match.
Does it improve the comfort of bed then I take it or just prolong the already comfortable experience? I've already spent a small fortune on my bed, mattress and bedding I feel like another £170 on top of what I've spent isn't much if it's the icing on the cake to a good nights sleep

It definitely improves the comfort, it’s like laying on a cloud. One thing I will say is that due to how the topper compresses on both sides, you do get a ridge in the middle of the bed. But that’s my only complaint, that and you can’t wash it, so use a mattress protector over the topper!

My main concern about toppers was overheating, but this one is very comfortable and doesn’t have that problem at all.
I’ve had a thick down filled topper before, and I just melted and woke up in a puddle of sweat each night.

Associate
It definitely improves the comfort, it’s like laying on a cloud. One thing I will say is that due to how the topper compresses on both sides, you do get a ridge in the middle of the bed. But that’s my only complaint, that and you can’t wash it, so use a mattress protector over the topper!

My main concern about toppers was overheating, but this one is very comfortable and doesn’t have that problem at all.
I’ve had a thick down filled topper before, and I just melted and woke up in a puddle of sweat each night.

Sounds perfect as I've had similar experience. I had a down one also and I gave it away as I just melted using it.

Going to take the plunge; thanks for the help!

Associate
Not sure if this helps anyone right now but I just bought a nectar mattress and bed bundle. You get the nectar mattress (memory foam & other layers of foam). This is not a hybrid so no springs, so might not suit everyone. Ottoman bed frame, duvet, 2 pillows, mattress cover and some fitted linen in king size for £968.68.
It seems to consistently get very good expert reviews.
I thought for that price for the whole package I couldn't resist considering I spent about £750 on my previous memory foam mattress.
The Mrs has wanted to get rid of our sprung divin base for a while now for an ottoman and our 9 nearly 10 year old memory foam/foam mattress is now sinking to the edge on her side. My side is still great but hey. Must be how she sleeps on it lol.
I think our current mattress was a sensaform viscool memory foam from Benson's. At the time it was the top sensaform mattress (the ones below had springs) and was pitched just below the igel range that they still have and at the time had no springs either if I remember correctly. Overall it's been a lovely mattress, I just hope the new one is as nice or better. In theory it should be as it's much newer and so the technology should hopefully be better too.

Caporegime
We went in to Dreams on Saturday and used their weird Sleep match machine - You lay on the bed and an Xbox Kinect camera records you whilst things move around your back.

Anyway, it recommended a few different options, one of which was the Sleepeezee 'Chelmsford' mattress, which did feel quite comfy.

Then we went to Furniture Village and I saw they also did Sleepeezee matresses, so we tried out a Geltouch 4000 Staycool mattress which seemed even better and was similar in price but has twice the amount of pocket springs. Plumped for that in the end.

Associate
We went in to Dreams on Saturday and used their weird Sleep match machine - You lay on the bed and an Xbox Kinect camera records you whilst things move around your back.

Anyway, it recommended a few different options, one of which was the Sleepeezee 'Chelmsford' mattress, which did feel quite comfy.

Then we went to Furniture Village and I saw they also did Sleepeezee matresses, so we tried out a Geltouch 4000 Staycool mattress which seemed even better and was similar in price but has twice the amount of pocket springs. Plumped for that in the end.

Apparently lots of pocket springs doesn't mean a better bed as they're either stacked so you get less proper fill or narrow in which the wires are thinner so not as supportive / durable

Associate
Hi all,
I’m in the market for a new king size mattress. Ideally I’d like pocket sprung without any of those extra fancy top layers.
My budget can be 800-1200.
im a side sleeper.
Any pointers/recommendations?

Soldato
In the process of getting a new bed and mattress. So far we’ve narrowed it down to:
Origin Pocket 1500
Sleepeezee Jessica
Simba hybrid/evesleep original hybrid.

Being in N.Ireland means that JR charges £75 delivery and we need/want to return it is another £75. As much as people rave about JR on here the thought of a potential £150 fee for a trial is slightly concerning.

Next choice would be the Jessica. Went into our local dreams but unfortunately they didn’t have it on display. Seems to get good reviews.

Soldato
Being in N.Ireland means that JR charges £75 delivery and we need/want to return it is another £75. As much as people rave about JR on here the thought of a potential £150 fee for a trial is slightly concerning.

I very much doubt you'll be returning it, and £75 for delivery sounds reasonable given its size.

Back
Top Bottom