Mattresses - I need knowledge

Soldato
In the process of getting a new bed and mattress. So far we’ve narrowed it down to:
Origin Pocket 1500
Sleepeezee Jessica
Simba hybrid/evesleep original hybrid.

Being in N.Ireland means that JR charges £75 delivery and we need/want to return it is another £75. As much as people rave about JR on here the thought of a potential £150 fee for a trial is slightly concerning.

Next choice would be the Jessica. Went into our local dreams but unfortunately they didn’t have it on display. Seems to get good reviews.
in the same boat but have the Silentnight Farrington 1200 Pocket Eco Mattress on the list.

going to try and get into our local dreams store this evening to see what they have but edging towards to the JR origin pocket - same as yourself though, just don't fancy the potential 150 quid to test it!

Soldato
Thank you to all who contributed to the thread. We've just bought a JR Artisan Naturals. In the accompanying PDF they recommend a topper. I think we'll try without one, at least initially, but could anyone recommend a topper for this mattress at all?

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I've just spent the last month looking at all the mattresses in a box. This thread has been the most helpful and made me come to the conclusion that a mattress in a box will be designed around convenience rather than 100% performance.

Think I'm going to settle on the Superking Sleepeezee mayfair 3200, reasonable price point and not boxed(I think)

I have a Dormeo S plus, Octapring topper and an extra few inches of memory foam toppers from Amazon and my body still aches from trying to sleep on it (neck, shoulders. spine, leg and foot cramps etc).

All that stuff was later confirmed by a physiotherapist to be good, but my body is just too broken for it to work.

thanks for this info, I recently returned a highly reviewed mattress in a box but it was very rough and jabs in the back. I will look at separate mattresses delivered full complete in future.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
interesting videos here from john ryan saying pillow top or one sided rotate ( not turn upside down) are just fake.

Only issue is most mattresses I am seeing are No turn mattresses including the Sleepeezee Jessica, have to say though I had a single Sealy mattress from 10 years ago from mattressman and its no turn and its just as good as the first day, nothing fancy but did cost £500, same with another one in the living room so I think as long as you rotate it every 6 months I think its ok.

Looking at the Sleepeezee Jessica but unsure if that is the one to go for, return policy says cant be slept on or opened ! they offer a 60 day trial but then only say you can swap for another sleepeezee model.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Tragedy befell us yesterday; should have had our JR turn up and instead a phonecall from their delivery people to say they can't deliver due to a covid case in their warehouse and no vans were loaded. Earliest opportunity we can get it is the 16th. Two more weeks of horrendous sleep it is then I guess! :cry::(

Soldato
Tragedy befell us yesterday; should have had our JR turn up and instead a phonecall from their delivery people to say they can't deliver due to a covid case in their warehouse and no vans were loaded. Earliest opportunity we can get it is the 16th. Two more weeks of horrendous sleep it is then I guess! :cry::(
Looks like I just missed it then, had my Artisan 1500 delivered Friday gone.

So far, worth the wait. :D

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Read 64 pages of this thread, a quick glance to save others the headache. Not an expert by any means and still looking to get a new mattress myself just bookmarked some top post and thoughts!

• Overall lots of recommendations to avoid mattress in a box, perhaps too much money on marketing and the ones with foam may get too hot so stick with pocket sprung mattresses appears the general and better recommendation. This is not to say outright mattress in a box are bad many on here still loved their Emma mattresses and they do appear to favour side sleepers perhaps. They also have trials and money backs and in general good customer services.

• Best and most popular recommendations company wise appear to be John Ryan, Sleepeezee, Premier Inn, Ikea, Sealy, Emma brands, mattressman, mattressonline, mynextmattress.co.uk

• Most popular mattresses appear to be from John Ryan (Origins 1500, artisan naturals), Sleepeezee-Jessica-1800, Other Sleepeezee 1500+ pocket sprung models, Premier Inn, Emma, Sealy 1500+ pocket sprung models, Ikea mattresses around £129-200+

Anyone reading from start of this page might be confused by everyone talking about factory beds direct site since John Ryan website opens up instead its same site.

Lots of good single post people may wish to read ill mark it as hidden though

Associate
What's the general concensus on the Healthbed ranges?
I've been out to try a few of their new ranges today and we are strongly considering one from their Energise range: https://www.healthbeds.co.uk/bedchoices/New-Energise-Collections-p154108106
We've had a Healthbed for the last 10 years and to be fair it's been a great bed but the memory foam has reached the end of it's life now.

I'm not wanting one of the bed in a box brands but are consider some other hybrids such as the Sleepeezee Jessica. Others in the mix are some of the Relyon models.

Associate
Just as an anecdote, to mattresses in a box. What do you think happens to all of those 100 Night Trial returned mattresses in a box? There are 3 aircraft hangar sized industrial units, in the west midland, completely full and stacked 10+ units high of all of the returned mattresses. They can never be re-used as a mattress and are now awaiting shredding. This is not a few hundred or even a few thousand mattresses, its 10's of thousands. Sad really

Soldato
Just as an anecdote, to mattresses in a box. What do you think happens to all of those 100 Night Trial returned mattresses in a box? There are 3 aircraft hangar sized industrial units, in the west midland, completely full and stacked 10+ units high of all of the returned mattresses. They can never be re-used as a mattress and are now awaiting shredding. This is not a few hundred or even a few thousand mattresses, its 10's of thousands. Sad really

I know Simba sell refurbed mattresses, or is this another popular company?

I really like my Simba, took one on a 200 night trial last April and kept it, niggling back and shoulder pains have vanished entirely since having it. We never really had poor quality mattresses prior, they were high pocket sprung mattresses, this one just seems to suit me better.

Also we had a tear on our cover due to our own mistake when putting it back on after it had been washed and Simba replaced the entire mattress in a few weeks at the height of covid.

Associate
This is various mattress in a box companies. The market for second hand mattresses I should imagine is very low. Especially after somebody has slept on it for 4/6/8 months. Plus as I understand it the cost of sterilization, recovering and repackaging is more than the original cost of the mattress to the manufacturers. At least with shredding they get a percentage of their money back without additional re-investment for a low market product.

Associate
I've had my nectar mattress about a month now. Also got an ottoman bed frame and sleep set (duvet, pillows etc) all for £1k including delivery and taking my old mattress away.
I'm happy with it. It felt quite firm to begin with but as with all memory foam/foam combination mattresses they take a few weeks to soften a little and mould to where you sleep. Now it feels like it has a little more give a bit like my old mattress which was memory foam/foam combo and as a side sleeper works well for me despite being not being very heavy (less than 10 stone) where normally softer sprung mattresses are recommended for light weight side sleepers from the reviews I have seen. I slept in a hotel the other night on a firm sprung mattress and that didn't feel any better at keeping me cool and I actually found it hard to sleep in. I think the biggest problem was that it must have been the firmest mattress that could be supplied and really didn't suit my side sleeping. can't remember the brand of mattress but I did look it up and they weren't cheap 1k kind of prices.

Soldato
We are 4 weeks with our Artisan 1500 (firm and mid mix) and honestly other than the strange smell.... we are both getting great nights sleep, pricey? Yes worth it? Yeah I'd say so at this point. See how long it holds up.

Associate
TOP TIP; don't buy a John Ryan insanely soft one. I did. Regretted it immediately. Felt wonderful for about 10 seconds and then back began to hurt.

Do you mean you bought a mattress with soft firmness? Or the top upholstery layers are too soft?

My artisan naturals in medium has lovely soft upholstery, but is still supportive.

Associate
iGel is the best mattress IMO.

Had 2 of these and would never change to another mattress!
I remember laying on a few igel mattresses in Benson's before buying my previous mattress 10 years ago. They did feel very nice and it was only the price that put me off as I think the cheapest back then was about £1200 as opposed to the mattress I got at about 700-750 which was similar in feel being all memory foam and foam but not quite as nice. Back then I don't think they were pocket sprung. At the time Benson's seemed to be marketing them as a cheaper alternative to tempur but with better cooling technology due to the gel layer.

Soldato
I remember laying on a few igel mattresses in Benson's before buying my previous mattress 10 years ago. They did feel very nice and it was only the price that put me off as I think the cheapest back then was about £1200 as opposed to the mattress I got at about 700-750 which was similar in feel being all memory foam and foam but not quite as nice. Back then I don't think they were pocket sprung. At the time Benson's seemed to be marketing them as a cheaper alternative to tempur but with better cooling technology due to the gel layer.

Yea, they're still quite expensive but my last one did last me 8 years and my brother now has it and it's still going strong. Good mattresses are always worth the price!

Back
Top Bottom