1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MaxDSL download speeds same as before?!

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by GSDog, 6 Jun 2006.

1. GSDog

Soldato

Hi all,

I have been upgraded to 7.5MB this morning, but for some reason my connection is only downloading things at 240kB/sec... It is downloading the same speed as my 2MB connection. I have tried rebooting the router and it made no difference.

Is there anything I need to do?
    Why is it downloading so slow!?!

[​IMG]

2. aaazza

Hitman

Your line is capped at 2MB speeds, while you are in your training period (Which I believe to be 10 days but you might see the changes sooner).

So this is normal until the maximum stable line rate is sorted out.

As for what you need to do, nothing, just leave it to sort it self out, certainly don't keep rebooting your router, you might get interleaving turned on :p

aaazza

3. OzZie

Mobster

Yup, took 11 days for my line to get sorted out. Syncing at around 6.5mbps and getting good 500kb/s from decent servers (although download speeds fluctuate alot more with the higher speed for me than before. :o )

4. Mook

Banned

This must be the most asked and answered question on this forum. Seen it soooo many times, you'd think people would get the idea by now.

5. tolien

Caporegime

Equally you'd think some people could get the information right.

In theory it'll go up within 3 days. The 10 days has zero relevance to setting your BRAS cap.

6. Sumanji

Sgarrista

Slightly OT, but we've been on MaxDSL here for 10 days, with the line consistently synced at about 7MB. However doing the ADSLGuide speed tests, it is reporting a downstream rate of between 1800 and 4000 Kbps. Does this mean I am still on a locked BRAS profile or is something else wrong...?

For Example :confused:

Cheers,

Suman

7. tolien

Caporegime

If it's been stably at 7Mbps for more than 3 days, it sounds like a stuck BRAS profile.

8. Third Opinion

Soldato

Been on Max DSL for 12 days and I synch at 4.5mb. However my download speeds are at about 1mb connection. Not sure if it is gonna get any better.

9. Sumanji

Sgarrista

Should my Dad be chasing BT or F2S about this then?

Cheers,

Suman

10. tolien

Caporegime

Always the ISP. You have no contact with BT for the ADSL.

11. GSDog

Soldato

It's been 6 days and nothing has changed :( stilling running at 2MB speeds.
    I was hoping it would of increased a little by now?

12. Phil99

Capodecina

Rebooting the router every day for 3 days in a row seems to help. You don't need to reboot it every day once the profile is set though, just when you think it should be increasing. Also, a single sync below the BRAS profile level will drop the profile back down again.

13. GSDog

Soldato

Weird.... I woke up this morning and my sync has now increased to 8128 Kbps. Still at 2MB speeds though, noise levels are staying around 7dB to 8dB.

How come it has increased?

Sorry I really don't know much about this, haven't a clue what thw BRAS profile is either.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: 13 Jun 2006
  14. tolien

Caporegime

Because you had a high enough SNR margin to get more.

If you're still only getting 2Mbps, that's what it is.

15. Sumanji

Sgarrista

Holy thread bump Batman! :p

Just wondering, does getting a new router with a different MAC address reset the BRAS profile? My parents have upgraded theirs, and while it now syncs at the full whack of 8128/448 (previously maxxed at about 7MB), speedtesters are barely giving over 2MB. I'm assuming that the RAMBO thingy has reset the line status...?

Cheers,

Suman

16. tolien

Caporegime

No. Nothing cares about the MAC address (and BTw can't see it anyway). It should creep up though (given time)...

17. Yas786

Caporegime

Hehe if you think thats bad, wait till you hear about my situation. Im with pipex and was on their 2mb service for past couple of yrs and never had a problem ie always used to get 200kb/sec or thereabouts downloads.
    Now 4 weeks ago i upgraded to their 8mb service, now my exchange is literally a 2 min walk from my front door. Anyways once i had the email confirmation that i was now on 8mb service, i checked and found that it wasnt really 8mb, if anything it was just a better 2mb service..web browsing was very quick compared to before.
    Anyways short story is that i rung them up after 2 weeks as i was still getting 2mb speeds and to this day i still am. Last time i rung them up they said they passed onto BT, now either the morons are lying or BT is a bunch of incompetant idiots because 3 weeks later my ****'ing line is still at 2mb speeds although my router says its synching at 8mb speeds.
    And before some smartarse asks me, yes ive done the bt speedtest login crap and they have the info.
    As far as i know my line should be able to easily support 8mb at least so cant really understand why its only giving me 2mb speeds.

18. Sumanji

Sgarrista

Cool, thanks Toilen :)

Sorry about the thread bump, I imagine it annoyed you immensely... better than making a new one though I guess :p

Spawn: damn, that sucks dude... but persevere and get the bandwidth you deserve!

19. tolien

Caporegime

Not really. I'd be lying if I said I cared.

Assuming you're (consistently) synching at >2Mbps, it sounds like Pipex are screwing you around. What a shock. </sarcasm>

20. Sumanji

Sgarrista

Lies :p:(