1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maxtor possibly dead = rage

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by Neural, 3 Aug 2006.

1. Neural

Gangster

Basically I booted up my comp like normal and my 200g Maxtor DM9 made 3 triple beeps, then a very unhealthy sounding noise.

Aside from wanting to kill something for thinking about what data I have lost, I thought I might as well find out what the beeps mean, so any info would be useful, not sure what other info I oculd add but if im missing anything let me know.

Cheers.

2. Neural

Gangster

bump ;)

3. [email protected]

Wise Guy

I suspect thats your BIOS making the beeps thorugh your system speaker, and not the HDD - i'm not aware of any HDD having a speaker.

If thats the case, you need to check out what the beep codes from your mobo BIOS mean.

M

4. TheVoice

Capodecina

I remember reading a thread on another message board quite a long time ago about a guy who insisted the hard-drive itself was beeping. Don't remember any of the details of it, but the beeping sound did genuinely seem to be coming from the HDD. Quite odd.

5. Justintime

Sgarrista

Can't say i've heard of that, only beeps i know of with hard disks are SCSI cards beeping upon a disk failure.

6. Neural

Gangster

It is definately coming from the harddrive itself, I tested it in an external enclosure and it still beeped, I was quite surprised to find it was the HD itself also, hence my curiosty as to to what is exactly wrong.
    It seems to me as it has died, but as I have never had a HD fail on me before I have no frame of reference.

checked maxtors site and ofcourse god forbid they would have any useful sopport :rolleyes:

7. madman045

Wise Guy

If its the same as my 250gb maxtor, it sounds to me like the drives firmware zone has failed, as for getting it fixed, i havent found a way to get that done yet and data recovery is aound £600 :(

8. luminous

Gangster

9. madman045

Wise Guy

The drive isnt even detected by the bios now for me and i stuck it in the freezer on the off chance, another alternative if you can convince Maxtor, is them to email you the drives firmware, so u can reflash it, however you still might loose all your data, but then you have a chance to possibly recover it with software.