Maybe it is time to look at Vropx?

Permabanned
Just noticed this thread on the Oculus reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/7lbwz9/new_vorpx_release_soon_new_games_list_below_steam/

With Fallout 4 VR being such a poor VR experience, while still getting good reviews, perhaps Vorpx (https://www.vorpx.com) is worth trying now? I was just wondering if we would see Elex ported to VR, and by chance I see Vorpx has a profile for it.

Edit - Can't fix the spelling within the title :p

Version 17.3.0 (coming 2017/12/23)

New Game Profiles:
  • Far Cry Primal: G3D/Z3D, full VR, Direct VR: FOV, resolution, head tracking, tweaks
  • Metro 2033 Redux: G3D/Z3D, full VR: Direct VR: FOV, resolution, tweaks
  • Metro Last Light Redux: G3D/Z3D, full VR: Direct VR: FOV, resolution, tweaks
  • Outlast 2: G3D, DirectVR: FOV, resolution, tweaks
  • Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice: G3D/Z3D, immersive screen mode, DirectVR: FOV, resolution, tweaks
  • Battlefield 1: Z3D, full VR, DirectVR: FOV, resolution, tweaks
  • Star Wars: Battlefront II: Z3D, full VR, DirectVR: FOV, resolution, tweaks
  • Assassin’s Creed Origins: Z3D, immersive screen (full VR), DirectVR: FOV, resolution, tweaks
  • Shadow Warrior 2: G3D/Z3D, full VR, DirectVR: FOV, resolution, tweaks
  • Dishonored 2: Z3D, full VR, DirectVR: FOV, resolution, tweaks
  • Mass Effect Andromeda: Z3D, cinema mode, DirectVR resolution, tweaks
  • Prey [2017]: Z3D, full VR, DirectVR: FOV, resolution, tweaks
  • Dark Souls 3: Z3D, immersive screen mode
  • Life is Strange: Before the Storm: G3D, cinema mode
  • Ori and the Blind Forest: G3D, cinema mode
  • Elex: Z3D, immersive screen
  • Dragon’s Dogma: G3D/Z3D, immersive screen mode
  • Inside: G3D, cinema mode
  • RealMyst Masterpiece Edition: G3D, cinema mode
  • Quake 4: G3D, full VR DirectVR: FOV, resolution, head tracking, tweaks
  • Realms of Arcania: Blade of Destiny: G3D, cinema mode

Substantially Improved Game Profiles:
  • The Witcher 3: Geometry 3D added, DirectVR resolution
  • Diablo III: D3D11 Geometry 3D added
  • World of Warcraft: Geometry 3D (D3D11 only) added
  • Arma III: Geometry 3D, Direct VR: FOV, resolution
  • Far Cry 4: Geometry 3D added, DirectVR: FOV, resolution, head tracking, tweaks
  • GTA V: various G3D fixes (most importantly too strong 3D in vehicles), DirectVR resolution added
  • Elder Scrolls: Oblivion: various fixes and improvements.
  • Slender The Arrival: Geometry 3D added, Direct VR: FOV, resolution
  • Far Cry: Direct VR: FOV, resolution, head tracking, tweaks
  • Far Cry 3: D3D11 G3D added, DirectVR: FOV, resolution, head tracking, tweaks
  • Far Cry Blood Dragon: D3D11 G3D added, DirectVR: FOV, resolution, head tracking, tweaks
  • The Elder Scrolls Online: D3D11 Z3D
  • The Talos Principle: D3D11 G3D
  • Dark Souls 2 SOFS: Geometry 3D added
  • Outlast: various fixes
  • Resident Evil 7: positional tracking added
  • Firewatch: Geometry 3D redone (was broken after a game patch), DirectVR: resolution, FOV, tweaks
  • Gone Home: Geometry 3D redone (was broken after a game patch), DirectVR: resolution, FOV, tweaks
  • Prey [2007]: Direct VR: FOV, resolution, head tracking, tweaks
  • Dragon Age II did not work anymore in D3D9 (required for G3D)
  • Arma II: scalable HUD, pos tracking, DirectVR: FOV, resolution
  • Take On Helicopters: scalable HUD, pos tracking, DirectVR: FOV, resolution
  • Auto FOV and/or resolution for ~40 more games that were previously handled by the game optimizer

Other Profile Changes:
  • Mirror’s Edge: Direct VR scanner improvements, water reflections fixed.
  • Bioshock Infinite: water reflections fixed.
  • ABZÛ: Occasional flicker fixed.
  • Dishonored: water reflections fixed.
  • The Vanishing of Ethan Carter: water reflections fixed.
  • Crysis: water reflections fixed.
  • Crysis 3: scalable HUD added, fx fixes
  • Black Mesa Source: scalable HUD added
  • Half-Life 2: scalable HUD added
  • Portal 2: scalable HUD added
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution: scalable HUD added
  • Hard Reset: shader fixes
  • Quake III: Direct VR improvements for Steam/GOG version
  • Dead Space: effect fixes

Last edited:
Associate
It's a waste of money! I spent hours tweaking Fallout and Skyrim, but didn't come close to producing an immersive experience. There's simply no comparison to a native VR title!

The fact there is no demo available and refunds aren't accepted should set alarm bells ringing. Avoid!

Soldato
It's a waste of money! I spent hours tweaking Fallout and Skyrim, but didn't come close to producing an immersive experience. There's simply no comparison to a native VR title!

The fact there is no demo available and refunds aren't accepted should set alarm bells ringing. Avoid!

Basically this.

It's easier to configure now, but, VR still doesn't look/feel exactly right when using it. If I could get a refund I would.

Associate
With Fallout 4 VR being such a poor VR experience

Seen you mention this before also, are you able to elaborate? It seems to be getting good reviews because it is a good VR experience, albeit not a perfect all round package.

Vorpx on the other hand seems a neat idea and something I desperately want to work well, but sounds like it is junk from people who have used it.

Soldato
The VorpX mods for Skyrim/Fallout were very poor and felt more like forced 2D/3D and one reason I sold my first Vive headset. Now I've come back, partly due to the TPCast. I've tried the Fallout 4 VR and it's what VorpX should be with proper geometry and FOV etc.

As for a "VR" experience then no that's not what you get as you have little or no interaction with objects apart from the guns of course and mostly point and click with the Vive controller like you would with keyboard & mouse.

Now the mod for Minecraft was the best conversion I expereinced originally (Alien Isolation is good but the motion does me in) as the 3D was correct and you could physically swing the pickaxe to mine :)

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Seen you mention this before also, are you able to elaborate? It seems to be getting good reviews because it is a good VR experience, albeit not a perfect all round package.

Vorpx on the other hand seems a neat idea and something I desperately want to work well, but sounds like it is junk from people who have used it.

What Fallout 4 VR gets wrong -
  • Missing hands. What were they doing for the past year of claimed development?
  • Lacks any real environment interaction that VR should provide. A good example is the combat in Robo Recall where you can reach out, grab hold of an enemy, rip a limb off, and then proceed to beat them to death with it. Fallout 4 has dismemberment, yet the VR version makes no use of it.
  • Weapon selection, done from a 2D console like weapon selection wheel rather than making use of body locations. Light weapons could have been placed on the hips, heavy weapons over the shoulder and grenades / mines on the chest area, etc.
  • The inability to reload weapons using the weapon's mechanics was a missed opportunity. Perhaps again due to the lack of hands?
  • Lack of effort to make sniper scopes work.
  • The HUD used in fallout 4 could have been enhanced by the character wearing a Hololens type device. Again no effort was put into this, hence we have a very basic 2D interface. We could have had a VR Pip-Boy, with a proper 3D interface if only we had hands in game. Would it not have been a much more immersive experience to plan your journey through a full rotatable 3D map projection for example?
  • Lack of voice commands. It would have been far more immersive to point at a location then issue a voice command such as 'Dogmeat go there' rather than open a 2D menu.
  • General handling of the player in the environment is especially poor given that you can lean through walls and warp up the outside of buildings, which in the normal game you could not climb(jump up). If the VR version allows warping vertically, why wasn't it supported through a proper climb mechanic with redesigned quests to stop you skipping the quest's journey. This was just sloppy design.
Fallout 4 VR is little more than a Vorpx mod. Perhaps playing FO4 with Vorpx, mouse and keyboard is a better experience due to full mod support and no game breaking due to VR.

I found Alien Isolation, Quake 2 and Doom 3 BFG fantastic mods, and very fun in VR. I do fancy FarCry and Elex amongst others in Vorpx, if it gives a similar experience.

Just wondering with the new version of Vorpx, is it now worth trying?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom