Mazda to start production of HCCI engined cars from next year

Man of Honour
This just popped up on a feed. A few days ago, Mazda announced that they are ready for production of these new engines. They claim performance/efficiency gains, and the goal is to get diesel economy from a petrol engine, whilst being cleaner and more powerful in the process.

Looks like next 2018/2019's Mazda 3 will be the first to get the new supercharged engines.

Not much is known about how the engines work, but some interesting info on EE:

Most interesting is that other car makers have attempted this but failed to get the balance perfect, whereas Mazda seems to have nailed it, and they don't want to share the technology either.

Other reading:
https://arstechnica.co.uk/cars/2017...ng-awaited-breakthrough-in-engine-technology/

Soldato
SkyActiv reaches its next evolution, hopefully not its last. Do love Mazda for trying to do something interesting with petrol over these diesel years. Now that diesel is super evil and the cause of all the worlds problems :p, that stubbornness may finally pay off.

Shame they are having to FI but at least it is super over turbo.

Their tie up with Toyota should allow them to hook this up to a hybrid system as well to keep governments happy.

Man of Honour
OP
Toyotal mashup is a no brainer really. Bets on the new "Supra" having SkyActiv-X + electric config *similar to how the new NSX operates)? :cool:

Although rumours hinted at the new Supra having BMW engines both 4 and 6cyl and turbo charged. I wonder if this could change?

Soldato
Interesting but problem for Mazda is whether they will reap the benefits. How important is fuel economy right now?

oil_prices.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Given for most people and company car policies the 2 big marketing lines are MPG and Tax an engine with the cleanliness of petrol and the tax dodging emissions of diesel should be a winner.

Also its not like lower base cost is actually being fully passed to the consumer for the most part anyway.

I doubt they'd ever recoup the costs just selling it in their own cars but flogging it in traditional I4 Toyota and Lexus CTs help them shift enough units to be worth the investment.

Soldato
Toyotal mashup is a no brainer really. Bets on the new "Supra" having SkyActiv-X + electric config *similar to how the new NSX operates)? :cool:

Although rumours hinted at the new Supra having BMW engines both 4 and 6cyl and turbo charged. I wonder if this could change?

Pretty sure the Supra is going to be some kind of hybrid. It's going to be a pretty expensive car as well though. Probably around Cayman money.

The BMW is a drop-top version on the same chassis. But don't know if it will have the same engine. It's not going to be a copy and paste with a different badge like the GT86 and BRZ.

Last edited:
Soldato
Pump price is still 113 ish, so yes fuel economy is stil improtant.

Yes but a £1.13 is worth less than say it it 20 years ago.

Also Mazda sells to many countries, their main market being the far east and the USA (don't sell much in Europe).

I'll put the same graph but for US Gasoline prices later today.

Back
Top Bottom