1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MB +SSD

Discussion in 'Apple Hardware' started by vcl_X1, 12 Apr 2010.

  1. vcl_X1

    Hitman

    Joined: 11 Jan 2009

    Posts: 616

    Has anyone put a Crucial C300 into a Macbook yet?

    I bought one on MM a few months ago and the HD is clearly it's weakest link, I've read that there can be issues with some HD's due to how Apple shock protection works, surely an SSD should not be affected by this.

    I know the MB only has Sata 2 so I'd be limited to 3gb/s but even so this should transform my MB which in all other respects suits me just fine.
     
  2. JAMAL

    Soldato

    Joined: 19 Oct 2002

    Posts: 6,967

    Location: Stoke on trent

    I have a 64gb m225 in my unibody macbook and it flies, no problems at all :)
     
  3. vcl_X1

    Hitman

    Joined: 11 Jan 2009

    Posts: 616

    Bad boy, ;-) you've now put the idea of a smaller ssd + external into my head again as this would be cheaper than the 256GB C300 I'm planning on using.

    Did you do a clean install and then restore from time machine or did you use superduper to clone your old drive?
     
  4. robbiemc

    Wise Guy

    Joined: 30 Dec 2003

    Posts: 2,262

    Location: West Byfleet, Surrey.

    I recently put a 64gb SSD in my 13" MCP and it loves it.
    I did a clean install and restored from Time Machine which worked very well for me. I then ensured I deleted all the bloat I didn't need, such as language packs and don't forget the 'sleep' cache that seems to use man GBs (I suggest doing research on that part though).

    It's literally the best upgrade I've ever done on a laptop - the desktop appears instantly on boot :)
     
  5. theheyes

    Sgarrista

    Joined: 17 Jan 2007

    Posts: 8,945

    Location: Manchester

    It really depends on how you use your computer. If it's just a window to the web then a smaller SSD would be fine but if it is your only/main computer then I'd have to recommend a larger SSD - as bitter a pill it is to swallow in terms of pricing. Also, waiting for network shares or external storage is going to degrade the "experience" of having a lightning fast local drive.

    What is the situation regarding TRIM on OSX?
     
  6. AdamSee

    Wise Guy

    Joined: 25 Oct 2002

    Posts: 1,757

    Location: Winchester

  7. vcl_X1

    Hitman

    Joined: 11 Jan 2009

    Posts: 616

    I guess no ones braved it yet then ;-(

    I don't really want to put a smaller ssd in, 256GB is also big enough for most of my needs with this MB and I've the budget for the 256gb C300. The (possibly flawed) logic being reads will likely max out at Sata 2 limit with writes not that far behind, so about as quick as a white MB can handle.

    It's that conundrum of do I wait for the new drive to be proven reliable then pile in, by which time we're at the next generation of drives. I have a pair of the previous gen Samsung 64gb ssd's raided for my os drive which are now slowing down a bit, worst case the C300 doesn't play nicely with the Mac and osx and then ends up in the desktop running Win7 with trim and I have a couple of spare 64gb ssd's to play with.

    Good question re Osx and Trim - does anyone know the score? Apple supply some models with ssds as an option and so will need to address the issue sometime soon if they've not done so.
     
  8. NickK

    Capodecina

    Joined: 13 Jan 2003

    Posts: 19,110

    You can set the power saving features (including the motion sensor) using the terminal command line "pmset" command.
    I've been using an OCZ Vertex 120GB in my MBP3,1 since about March/April time last year.

    TRIM has to be supported by the OS. Currently OSX does not support TRIM.
     
    Last edited: 14 Apr 2010
  9. AdamSee

    Wise Guy

    Joined: 25 Oct 2002

    Posts: 1,757

    Location: Winchester

    I went with Intel x25-m. Capacity of 160gb isn't huge, but opted for it due to proven firmware, amazing random read/write times and general reliability. If it were a few months later, I would have probably gone for the C300 256GB, assuming the firmware issues were sorted and reliability proven.

    If you can't afford to mess around with unproven hardware, maybe you're using your computer professionally, I'd go for the Intel. Otherwise the C300 could be a real option.
     
  10. vcl_X1

    Hitman

    Joined: 11 Jan 2009

    Posts: 616

    Worst case I'd pop the HD back in it. However I'm liking the the new mbp's . Maybe I'll put the mb on mm and then buy a new mbp. Then in six months the c300 will be sorted or dead in the water , perhaps the new NAND plant will be open. Pound stronger ( I wish) and ssdd drop in price. Is that a winged bacon earnie I see?
     
  11. VaderDSL

    Capodecina

    Joined: 18 Oct 2002

    Posts: 15,533

    Location: Manchester

    I too went for the Intel, seems from my reading they have a fairly solid firmware and it's Intel :) if they anyone can release decent firmware they can.

    So far I have not been disappointed with my 80Gb X25-M in my Mac Mini.
     
  12. explicit4u

    Capodecina

    Joined: 29 Nov 2008

    Posts: 10,790

    Location: London

    their firmware is good... the second time around. At least 2 major updates have all caused numerous problems for their SSD's.

    However they do make the best drives in the business so get one if you can!