1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MCDST & MCSE

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Frozennova, 13 Mar 2010.

1. Frozennova

Man of Honour

As I'm returning to full time education later this year after an 18 month break since I left school I am looking at what comes next and I have decided I will take the following route

- BTEC National Award IT Practitioners ( Systems Support)
    - Microsoft Certified Desktop Technician
    - Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer

I start the BTEC at college in september and found the two microsoft ones here

However due to my relatively low income as all I currently have is GCSEs I would like to know if I can purchase the Course Materials (I've found them at a reasonable price online) and book the exams through Pearson Vue

2. Pestilence

Capodecina

That's exactly what you do. Grab the course materials from online stores (the saving you make on them online is incredible), study and then book the exam at your nearest Pearson testing center when you're ready. Simple as that.

Most of the official MS training books come with a second-chance voucher as well, which is useful.

3. Frozennova

Man of Honour

Thanks for that means I can save myself a huge chunk.

Any authors/books you could recommend.

4. Pestilence

Capodecina

The official MS books are about all you need, but for an added boost for the MCDST I'd heartily recommend getting the "Exam Cram" ones that come with mock test CDs. They're excellent.

5. zetec452

Sgarrista

I'd also recommend you setup a test lab, a decent PC with VMware or Virtual Box will do.

That way you can follow the examples and tests through the book. It is also fun to break stuff and try to fix it. :)

6. Frozennova

Man of Honour

7. Pestilence

Capodecina

You can get both of the MS books for the MCDST on the big river site (can we say the name yet?).

8. Frozennova

Man of Honour

Could you possibly send me an email in trust with a couple of links of the full names of the ones to look out for it would be greatly appreciated

9. m4cc45

Soldato

I should point out that although you may know how to install Windows, etc. it really doesn't mean anything. With the exams you have to think how Microsoft would do it. There is a lot of cross over with domains, AD, DNS, DHCP, etc. even in the MCDST exams. So, as JonRohan suggested, a decent lab is essential if you want to learn.

M.