Meanwhile in Hong Kong....

Associate
Unfortunately, no way to know what's directly going on there. Only that it's gone to the pot and beyond right now.

With all sides wearing masks, and many easily impressionable individuals on each extremes side, I wouldn't be surprised if it was being done by the protestors to illicit sympathy for their cause. Have read and seen videos of extremists (on all sides) posting up videos in a call to arms. So yeah, not good.

Soldato
I spent the last couple of weeks there and I’m currently flying back there now in order to get a ferry to Macau. Literally haven’t seen any kind of protest or violence, everything seems very quiet and normal. Maybe I’ve just been lucky?

Man of Honour
Only 1-2 times do they seem to be using any force though - a lot of the time seems to be pulling punches and making sure the cameras are on them, etc. so not really sure what to make of it.

Caporegime
Since the poor attempt to take the wind out of the protests sails failed by engineering a narrative around the supposed stalling of the bill, it's obvious they'd advance to agent provocateur levels by "vacationing" soldiers.

There is no questioning this, it's that obvious, the one thing the CCP hates more than anything is losing control and they'll do anything to resolve it, eventually they will just flat out invade the city and Britain will look decidedly useless.

Man of Honour
eventually they will just flat out invade the city and Britain will look decidedly useless.

I think people underestimate the significance of this if it comes to it - if the rest of the world just let it happen the implications for places like Taiwan are huge (despite having the US as an ally).

Caporegime
I think people underestimate the significance of this if it comes to it - if the rest of the world just let it happen the implications for places like Taiwan are huge (despite having the US as an ally).

China isn't going to be able to live off of American production forever, it's used it's muscles to keep neighbours in line and Africa suckling down debt (historically a silly idea, but this is the long the game), it will act if it has no choice, like with North Korea when a certain MacArthur got cocky and almost lost everything.

It's limitation currently is that it can still mooch for a while and needs to get it's social credit system fully operational before it starts probing the US to attack first (they never want to look like the instigator).

Could just be bluster, but the installment of a Xi to Mao status, the massive control system, resource control and defensive lines in the SCS makes it rather difficult to say it's not possible. Hell the "sudden" blind spot from a particularly fat leader to another fat leader (that isn't reminiscent of pooh bear) might give China it's reasoning to join a war rather than start one.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Only 1-2 times do they seem to be using any force though - a lot of the time seems to be pulling punches and making sure the cameras are on them, etc. so not really sure what to make of it.

800-8c1c19bc97a735c.jpg

(Source).

Soldato
I spent the last couple of weeks there and I’m currently flying back there now in order to get a ferry to Macau. Literally haven’t seen any kind of protest or violence, everything seems very quiet and normal. Maybe I’ve just been lucky?

Anyone following the unrest can tell you that the protests are happening on weekends. The evidence for the actual scale of the issues are well evidence. week days have mostly been free of unrest.

Caporegime

they're not even trying to be discrete about it:

daily mail said:
Some men in white shirts were later filmed leaving the scene in cars with Chinese mainland number plates. One video showed pro-Beijing lawmaker Junius Ho (above) shaking hands with the gang members after the attack, praising them as his heroes

China needs some sort of mass uprising at some point and then could do with being broken up... HK and Macao getting independence, ditto to Tibet and Xinjiang province.

Soldato
All this going on and the usual left wing blow hards are nowhere to be found what a surprise!

The actions of the Chinese although brutal aren't that surprising, Hong Kong's liberal democracy (just as is Taiwan) is a poisonous spot on the face of china and if left alone could cause chaos back home with locals wanting the same.

Caporegime
All this going on and the usual left wing blow hards are nowhere to be found what a surprise!

The actions of the Chinese although brutal aren't that surprising, Hong Kong's liberal democracy (just as is Taiwan) is a poisonous spot on the face of china and if left alone could cause chaos back home with locals wanting the same.

What are you talking about... inflammatory nonsense.

Associate

I'm about as left wing blowhard as you'll get, but I dropped talking politics on this site many years ago. Location might give a hint as to my feelings on this.

Back
Top Bottom