Mechanical keyboard replacing keycaps and greasing stabilisers queries?

Man of Honour
Hey all,

Just received a Filco mechanical keyboard today with Cherry MX Blues and also a set of Ducky PBT keycaps.

Now replacing the standard caps is easy and I've done them but I need some info on the larger caps that have stabilisers?

Firstly they were greased but when removing them a fair bit of grease came away, so I'd like to replace that, I have some Multi-purpose EP2 Lithium based grease, is this safe with plastics? If not what do I need to buy, something that's not going to cost the earth but works really well?

Secondly is there a trick to getting the larger keys back onto the board? It's proving a little tricky and I don't want to break anything.

Photos: http://imgur.com/a/FgxczgH

Thanks,

Space :)

Soldato
I noticed my Filco does have grease on the stabilisers, but I've never seen anyone recommend lubing them. You could get away with a tiny amount of silicone or PTFE if you wanted to replace it.

Now, you have two choices for the stabilisers. Either fit them with the bar in by making the whole assembly, click the bar into the mount and put the key onto the switch. Or fit the bar into the mount, and then to the key. Stick one end into the key, then carefully but firmly with one end of some tweezers pull the bar out whilst pushing at the other side to get the bar into both ends. I usually do this, however I only rarely change keys. This is a bit more brute force, but you'll soon get the hang of it.

Man of Honour
OP
@Ryan-3

Thanks for the info.

If reattaching the larger keys is better with your option 1, does the metal bar come away from the keyboard so I can fit it into the caps, then back onto the keyboard? I didn't want to pull the metal bar out if I'll damage it or the board?

Last edited:
Soldato
@Space Monkey - the bar should come out, however I remember it being incredibly tight when I changed the backspace on my filco. If it doesn't seem to budge with even force, you might have to just use option 2.

I've done a quick googlefu. They're Costar style stabilisers and this guy has a video showing what you're after at 1:50. :)

edit: I'd assume all silicone greases to be the same unless they specifically state some higher magic power of an additive. So you should be fine! It is used with threads and o-rings so is a lot 'milder' if you like.

Associate
Back
Top Bottom