1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media Centre PC advice...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by BigDom, 3 Feb 2006.

1. BigDom

Wise Guy

(if this is wrong area I apologise, please move it to the right place and remove this line :) )

As allways my brain is going on future projects and I've heard of, but know very little about, the media center version of windows.

What I was thinking was using one of my old XP CPUs' int he project, Micro ATX Mobo if I could find it, reasonable soundcard and DVD player and the the idea I had is to make it the core of my hifi setup.

I'd play DVD's and MP3 off it through my amp and into my TV ( not sure of the best way of doing the Video section ), might also take the Cable TV feed through it so I can record to HDD.

Display wise I was thinkg of having a small ( touch screen if I can find one at a reasonable price ) primary monitor for controlling the PC then of course a feed into the TV somehow.

I'd rather not use the TV as the primary monitor.

Any advice and thoughts would be appreciated :) - thankyou.

2. maddad68

Banned

Hey ,

The only bad thing i have herd about the WME is that it will not allow you to join a domain .

I spoke to a lad the other day who works as a tech for a very well known high street PC retailer .....

He told me that it is a good OS for the type of thing you list , Basicly its XPpro with a very nice front end interface aimed at people that just want a good media center without all the hassle of the PC side of things

As for the TV side of things all you need is a fairly decent TV tuner card

Have a look on hardforum.com thay have a HT section thay will give you all the info you need to build and set up your system .

Good luck

Maddad

3. pcoltrane

Hitman

the green button and xpmce have good forums that will be able to answer all your questions :)

4. BigDom

Wise Guy

Thanks guys :)