Media Player sucks

Soldato
I can't stand WMP either. It just seems to have loads of functionality that is superfluous to actually playing media. It's nowhere near as bad as, say, RealPlayer or Quicktime. But it is still pretty bad. It seems to me the only good media players are freeware or open source projects these days.

I hear WMP has been improved in its Vista version. The media library and such load instantly now, as it takes advantage of new programming interfaces on that OS.

I'll continue using Winamp until AOL either axes it or starts bloating it out with rubbish.

Soldato
OP
mpshite0ta.jpg

A common occurance with MP these days. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Even deleting tracks takes about 30 seconds, editing metadata can take up to a few fn weeks. Fn useless piece of carp software. :mad:

I've tried reinstalling MP but no change. Is there a way to rebuild the database? Also, is there a way to 'cleanse' MP3 files? I know a lot of MP3s can harbour a lot of nonsense data that MP's pretty little head can't handle.

I've tried a few of these free MP3 players but they don't have the features that MP has.

I need:
Star ratings
Easily copy to MP3 player/CD
Windows taskbar buttons, or something similar
Tracks arranged much like MP10, like Windows Explorer tree

Anything you would recommend?

Soldato
*Shudders* WMP, ick! I really hate that piece of software. Its so slow and cluttered! iTunes is much better but I would like to give WMP11 a go and see how that comes out (aslong as it can play .AAC). With iTunes I can have all my songs neatly arranged and a big window for my Album Art, with WMP10 its just a tiny square. All Microsoft and Apple need to do now to perfect iTunes and WMP is to allow playback of WMA (inc DRMed .WMA) on iTunes and sync with others players (creative) and the same with WMP11 but with AAC and iPod. I doubt that will ever happen though.

Caporegime
Wmp is perfect for me apart from the crashing on ver 10, it plays every video and audio file I need and I like the interface and the way the library is organised.

Soldato
OP
I've just installed MP Classic 6.4. Plays everything I throw at it, and quickly too.

I've installed Foobar and MusikCube, While both seem pretty good and fast, neither have a mini control funtction. In MP10 I am able to minimise the program down to the Windows toolbar where I can control Play, Next, Prev, etc. Does anyone know of a way to add this type of feature to Foobar/MusikCube?

Thanks guys.

Soldato
Well I've removed NetBui from my networking and moved over to tcp/ip-only and wmp10 has really improved, so I'm guessing it defaults to netbui if your music folder is on a networked machine? That is of course if the default for "my network places" is netbui and not tcp/ip.

Either way it's faster now when playing music from another box. :)

Soldato
undisputed software for video has to be VLC player! Instantly loads, supports for file types then anything else, and codecs! superb dvd support...FREE

for music i use Winamp

Back
Top Bottom