Medical records - how to make changes...

Associate
Does anyone know the correct procedure to amend an entry in my medical records?

I'm applying for a job that will involve a health check and my records contain compromising information about a health problem I had a few years ago.

Just the facts please guys, on how to go about it.

Keep the opinions about whether it should be done to yourselves.

Thanks,

PM's appreciated.

Associate
They're not your records generally, they are about you - so if there's somehting inaccurate in them you could contact the person who made the entry and askt them to correct it - but you cannot just edit them because you prefer that.

Sounds like a pretty unusual job if someone is "checking your medical records" - normally these sorts of issues are just dealt with by a questionnaire style format in forms (in so far as they're permitted to ask at all).

Soldato
Are we talking HIV which leads to good AIDS or bad AIDS?

There's not much point raising the issue unless it's bad AIDS. Any time someone's talking about AIDS, I think it's safe to assume they mean bad AIDS.

And no, you can't edit embarassing information or information that could compromise your integrity or suitability for a job out of your medical records. Silly question, really.

AJK

AJK

Associate

I believe the correct procedure begins with an appointment and discussion with your GP.

I'm applying for a job that will involve a health check and my records contain compromising information about a health problem I had a few years ago.

If it's factually correct compromising information, your chances of having it removed are very, very slim. And even if you do get it "removed" I believe the record is still accessible, but simply "struck out" as it were.

Soldato

Thanks,

PM's appreciated.

You cannot get your medical records changed. If they contain something inaccurate, you can contact the person who made the entry, provide evidence why it should be amended and hope they agree.

Generally your medical record will NEVER have anything removed - only notes added and things like "condition resolved" for something like childhood asthma.

I can only suggest you think long and hard about why you think it should be changed.

Man of Honour
I believe that all you can do is ask for your health record to be amended if the information is incorrect. They won't delete entries that you don't like. The procedure is to contact your GP surgery or your hospital records manger.

Associate
drink? drugs? anal rape? w/ever, no of them would stop you getting any job if it had been dealt with. I know for fact you cant change your medical record 'cos i wanted a minor annoying and incorrrect thing taken out of mine, not allowed.
good luck with your application
mrs herble

Caporegime

Thanks,

PM's appreciated.

What do you mean by a "health check"? A doctor isn't going to divulge your entire medical records when asked to give information for a "health check". You can ask them to withhold information.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Just don't give the employer the details of your medical records. When they ask about medical history that is usually so that you don't, two weeks in to the employment, claim that you need a months paid leave for a medical condition. As long as you detail all your health problems, past and future, that are relevant. Then refuse to give a doctor name and address. That is what i do. Good luck.

This is another reason why i don't like the NHS.

Soldato
This is another reason why i don't like the NHS.

Why? Because they keep pertinent medical information about you? Ridiculous statement.

Your potential employer has a right to know of any medical conditions which might adversely affect your employment.

Back
Top Bottom